2018 - Small Puter?

rusty69

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Android is only the core OS, it could be easily Windows and users wouldn’t notice.   It’s only because Google have been pushing it unfairly that it’s got the attraction.    A cheap android phone doesn’t compare to a iPhone as Apple don’t do non-premium phones.  You need to compare a decent android based phone to apples equivalent.  The only argument you could have against Apple is that they don’t do non premium stuff.

Yes, exactly my point. Which makes Google and Android more inclusive,

6 minutes ago, MJG said:

Yes, exactly my point. Which makes Google and Android more inclusive,

Unfortunately android also has a bad name due to the cheap sh1t our there, probably the reason they didn’t mention it when announcing their latest phone. :) 

Edited by Robbo

5 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Unfortunately android also has a bad name due to the cheap sh1t our there, probably the reason they didn’t mention it when announcing their latest phone. :) 

If you mean some of the Chinese stuff then yes. By Chinese I don't mean 'made in China' but the no name stuff.

But you don't have to spend as little as that. My phone is a Nokia (yes I know it's only a 'name' now) but the quality is fine. I cant comment on durability yet as I've only had it a couple of weeks. But so far the screen isnt seperating from the body of the phone which both I and my daughter have had with 'premium' Apple products costing several times more.

I just think Apple stuff is over priced for what it does, and the quality isn't all it's cracked (no pun intended).

But then if you haven't had a poor experience and are willing to pay a premium price then I guess people are quite entitled to do that, which of cours Apple aficionados do in their droves.

20 minutes ago, MJG said:

But you don't have to spend as little as that. My phone is a Nokia (yes I know it's only a 'name' now) but the quality is fine. I cant comment on durability yet as I've only had it a couple of weeks. But so far the screen isnt seperating from the body of the phone which both I and my daughter have had with 'premium' Apple products costing several times more.

Although I like Nokia's, the new standard phones that they have re-released (think the banana phone) arn't the quality they used to be n days of old.

2 minutes ago, MJG said:

I wouldnt one of those.

I had the original banana phone and liked it, the new one didn’t seem as well built.  (The flip down thing mainly).   Of course I wouldn’t get this phone as I don’t really use a phone as a phone, it’s just secondary now to a “Internet device”, and it’s probably the main computer I use outside of work.

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:37, rusty69 said:

My trusty netbook is showing its age.

I like its SSD, small screen size (9"), the fact it has a proper keyboard.It runs linux,it runs from a 12v supply.

What are todays similar offerings?

The macbook air 11 seems good, but also ageing.

Out of interest why do you like such a small screen?   I find anything smaller than 15in a real pain to use

1 minute ago, KevMc said:

Out of interest why do you like such a small screen?   I find anything smaller than 15in a real pain to use

Presume because it’s portablity, even if your just using in front of the TV a small device is quite nice.   I like the size of the iPad mini (8”) as it’s kinda reading book size.

Just now, KevMc said:

I prefer to have the space on the table tbh, and also find transporting a smaller device between boats much easier. I do have a 21 inch screen old laptop somewhere, but just find it too big and bulky and power hungry.

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I prefer to have the space on the table tbh, and also find transporting a smaller device between boats much easier. I do have a 21 inch screen old laptop somewhere, but just find it too big and bulky and power hungry.

I guess I'm spoiled by having a pair of 20 inch screens at work.

18 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I also use an old Tesco Hudl to read e-books on, and a bit of sofa surfing.

I was looking at the Kindle fire stuff recently.   I have a iPad/iPhone already and I’ve used a mini vs fire and prefer the iPad.   Although I’m waiting for the update as the current mini is a little old.

11 minutes ago, Robbo said:

I was looking at the Kindle fire stuff recently.   I have a iPad/iPhone already and I’ve used a mini vs fire and prefer the iPad.   Although I’m waiting for the update as the current mini is a little old.

Yep.I expect I will get one when my Hudl packs up.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

I use a Hudl 2 for sofa surfing, I have a Moto G5 phone which I really like.

Yep, mine is a Hudl 2,and I'm still on the moto g v2. 

With the new Chromebook, I now need a way to store my other files and access them on the network. Perhaps a raspberry Pi with a ssd would work. Currently I have a Hootoo device with a usb thumbdrive, but it isn't very user friendly.

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Yep, mine is a Hudl 2,and I'm still on the moto g v2. 

With the new Chromebook, I now need a way to store my other files and access them on the network. Perhaps a raspberry Pi with a ssd would work. Currently I have a Hootoo device with a usb thumbdrive, but it isn't very user friendly.

You can get routers that have file servers on them.   They tend to have usb sockets on the back.

8 minutes ago, Robbo said:

You can get routers that have file servers on them.   They tend to have usb sockets on the back.

I only just got a new router a Teltonika rut 955.I don't think it has that option though. It does have gps though......not very useful.

ETA.Hold that.It does seem to have a USB port.........now, where is that pdf user manual?

Edited by rusty69

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I only just got a new router a Teltonika rut 955.I don't think it has that option though. It does have gps though......not very useful.

https://teltonika.lt/product/rut955/#features

USB
Data rate USB 2.0
Applications Samba share, custom scripts
External devices Possibility to connect external HDD, flash drive, additional modem
SD CARD
Physical size Micro SD
Aplications Samba share, custom scripts
Capacity Up to 32GB

14 minutes ago, Robbo said:

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

https://teltonika.lt/product/rut955/#features

USB
Data rate USB 2.0
Applications Samba share, custom scripts
External devices Possibility to connect external HDD, flash drive, additional modem
SD CARD
Physical size Micro SD
Aplications Samba share, custom scripts
Capacity Up to 32GB

Well, there you go.If in doubt RTFM. Now, how to use the thing!