2018 - Small Puter?

rusty69

Featured Posts

Just now, rusty69 said:

Or any other iirc.

Oh, you meant the tablet?

Yes, it works well in the sun. We use it instead of the book and it's often on the sliding hatch. Never found it difficult to see even in bright sunlight.

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Accrington stanley, Who are they!

Never touch a pixie....tis illegal

We beat them back in 60's iirc.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Oh, you meant the tablet?

Yes, it works well in the sun. We use it instead of the book and it's often on the sliding hatch. Never found it difficult to see even in bright sunlight.

Erm,wot did you think I meant.You been on the Bunnahabhain again?

• 3 months later...
On 19/05/2018 at 07:34, rusty69 said:

Thanks all. 

My heart says Macbook, my wallet says Chromebook. 

Decision made. 

Well, a year on. I bought an Asus C101 Chromebook in the end, and have been using it for the last few months. 

I like:-

It is much quicker than the old netbook it replaced.

The battery life is brilliant

The screen is good.

The sound is acceptable

Price - 100 quid second hand

Ability to run some Linux apps, but not as many as my netbook.Also runs playstore apps

I dislike:-

Lack of storage, although you can add a micro sd card.

Only one USB A port

File structure - everything goes into the downloads folder, although you can add other folders within.

Keyboard is a bit bouncy.

Having to sign in with my google password.

Not 12V like the netbook

It is mainly used for internet stuff, which I guess is what it was designed for, and it does it well. I don't use the touch screen or the fold back screen option. For 100 quid it was the right choice. For more serious work,I would opt for the I-thingy.

ETA. Thanks @Robbo....wherever you are.

Edited by rusty69

I've just replaced my old netbook with a Lenovo miix 310. Very few of these smaller laptops are made these days. I tracked down an ex display one for £125.00. I'm very pleased with it. 2 full sized usb ports and 1 mini one. Keyboard can be detached from the screen for it to be used in tablet mode, not that I ever use it this way. Battery is excellent, around 10 hours. The charger from my old netbook (also Lenovo) fits which is great because the lead plugs into the plug part of the charger with usb. This means I can simply plug it into a usb port in my 12v system, saves having to buy an (expensive) car charger. 

I guess these aren't made any more because they aren't popular, people prefer tablets. It's a strange one, the keyboard protects the screen very well for very little extra weight. Does anyone really prefer an on screen keyboard to a proper one? I would doubt it. And of course, you can use it as a tablet if you wish. It baffles me why anyone might prefer a tablet over something like this.      

15 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Well, a year on. I bought an Asus C101 Chromebook in the end, and have been using it for the last few months. 

I like:-

It is much quicker than the old netbook it replaced.

The battery life is brilliant

The screen is good.

The sound is acceptable

Price - 100 quid second hand

Ability to run some Linux apps, but not as many as my netbook.Also runs playstore apps

I dislike:-

Lack of storage, although you can add a micro sd card.

Only one USB A port

File structure - everything goes into the downloads folder, although you can add other folders within.

Keyboard is a bit bouncy.

Having to sign in with my google password.

Not 12V like the netbook

It is mainly used for internet stuff, which I guess is what it was designed for, and it does it well. I don't use the touch screen or the fold back screen option. For 100 quid it was the right choice. For more serious work,I would opt for the I-thingy.

ETA. Thanks @Robbo....wherever you are.

If you download the Astro File Manager app from Playstore then it will enable you to create folders where you want them and to move files about.

27 minutes ago, cuthound said:

If you download the Astro File Manager app from Playstore then it will enable you to create folders where you want them and to move files about.

Thanks. I have downloaded it, but can't see a way of creating a folder outside of the download folder.

1 hour ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I guess these aren't made any more because they aren't popular, people prefer tablets. It's a strange one, the keyboard protects the screen very well for very little extra weight. Does anyone really prefer an on screen keyboard to a proper one? I would doubt it. And of course, you can use it as a tablet if you wish. It baffles me why anyone might prefer a tablet over something like this.     

Agreed. The netbook format and style suited me very well.It is a great shame that it couldn't keep up with the modern software. The chromebook is pretty good, but a modern netbook would be better.

Your Lenovo sounds like a good compromise, although I would have to ditch the windows,and those hinges look a bit flimsy too.

45 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Thanks. I have downloaded it, but can't see a way of creating a folder outside of the download folder.

Open Astro

Go to the location where you want to add a folder, for example internal storage/media 

Press the add folder symbol (a folder with a + sign on it)

Give the folder a name and press create 

Move files to it by selecting the location of the target files, (copy or move) going to the folder you have created and pressing paste.

Job done. ?

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

Open Astro

Go to the location where you want to add a folder, for example internal storage/media 

Press the add folder symbol (a folder with a + sign on it)

Give the folder a name and press create 

Move files to it by selecting the location of the target files, (copy or move) going to the folder you have created and pressing paste.

Job done. ?

Many thanks Mr Hound. It works!