2018 - Small Puter?

rusty69

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Dartagnan said:

I am an Apple convert.  Numerous windows laptops sitting around the house which contain data which I can’t access.

I have the iPhone, iPad and I have been looking for a MacBook Air.  There are plenty of new ones on eBay which go for about £650-£700 and obviously used ones cheaper still.  The only reason I haven’t pushed the button just yet is that there are rumours a new version will be announced in June.  This is more than plausible as the MacBook air is now quite long in the tooth despite it saying ‘2017’.

That's interesting about the new MacBook Air, so I've just had a little look at Mac Rumours (dot) com and they have a bit about the WWDC18 - snippet copied below.

"Apple also often debuts new hardware at its Worldwide Developers Conference, and this year, rumors have suggested that we could see a new lower-cost MacBook Air and iPad Pro models equipped with Face ID, the facial recognition system that first debuted in the iPhone X."

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Somehow, I’m just not convinced!

The problem with Linux is the applications for it unless you just want it for browsing and basic office apps they are either a bit clumbersome or need a degree to use.  Apple apps tend to a bit more polished.

Just now, Robbo said:

The problem with Linux is the applications for it unless you just want it for browsing and basic office apps they are either a bit clumbersome or need a degree to use.  Apple apps tend to a bit more polished.

Quite. My primary uses are website design and desktop publishing. Apple is GREAT for these uses. 

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My primary uses are website design and desktop publishing. Apple is GREAT for these uses.

I've never used website design stuff, but for DTP there's Scribus. It can do pretty much everything that InDesign (and others) can do.

• 6 months later...

Ok. I got an Asus Chromebook in the end. To be honest,it is great for what it was designed for, web surfing.It is much quicker than my ageing netbook.It is not, however a total replacement.It is one of the breed of chromebooks that allows android apps and some Linux apps to run. Should have got an apple!

Interestingly, as it is a google device,it asks for google log on details (well, it would, wouldn't it). As such , if you have forgotten your login password,it gives you the option to enter your google account creation date to login. How you sposed to know that then, and doesn't that make it less secure?

ETA.It looks spookily similar to mtb's macbook thing.

Edited by rusty69

On 18/05/2018 at 21:07, ronnietucker said:

I'd say go with a Chromebook. You can use things like 'Crouton' (software) to install Ubuntu on it no problem, and they're pretty cheap.

This could be the answer..................Runs off to read about crouton,thinking it was a breaded product you chuck in soup dishes.

26 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

This could be the answer..................Runs off to read about crouton,thinking it was a breaded product you chuck in soup dishes.

Yep - but even more so - Gallium as a complete Linux install (still dual-boot if you want it). https://wiki.galliumos.org/Installing/Preparing

23 minutes ago, DaveP said:

Yep - but even more so - Gallium as a complete Linux install (still dual-boot if you want it). https://wiki.galliumos.org/Installing/Preparing

Thanks.Looks interesting. Though I am not familiar with Gallium.

ETA.On further investigation, GalliumOS is not supported on my Chromebook.......bummer!

Edited by rusty69

Just now, Robbo said:

Unless you get the Pixelbook from Google, looks nice tho.

That's the beauty of Google non apple stuff including Android though.

You don't have to shell out hundreds of pounds on the hardware to get the benefit of the OS.

With Apple you have to buy expensive hardware and you are tied solely to their products, no body else is allowed to install the iOS on their products.

Google and Android takes a much more inclusive approach.

Just now, rusty69 said:

The one I have apparently does that. It sounds like a great way to break something, so I won't be doing that.

I would have thought that would have been one of the most significant benefits.

7 minutes ago, MJG said:
7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It may be.I don't need that benefit though, as I have a tablet as well.

I would rather use it as a laptop type device and try and increase its lifespan by not using it in tablet mode.

3 minutes ago, MJG said:

That's the beauty of Google non apple stuff including Android though.

You don't have to shell out hundreds of pounds on the hardware to get the benefit of the OS.

With Apple you have to buy expensive hardware and you are tied solely to their products, no body else is allowed to install the iOS on their products.

Google and Android takes a much more inclusive approach.

I don't think you are tied soley to any product these days as most apps are now subscription based.  IMHO MacOS is a lot better than Windows or Linux on the desktop.   The apps on Linux is sadly lacking if you go away from the browser.   ChromeOS may change that, but then it is basically browser based, and we'll be back in the old days like with the smart X terminals :)   For tablet/phone, iOS and Android are both very similar and not one really is better than the other.

20 minutes ago, Robbo said:

I don't think you are tied soley to any product these days as most apps are now subscription based.  IMHO MacOS is a lot better than Windows or Linux on the desktop.   The apps on Linux is sadly lacking if you go away from the browser.   ChromeOS may change that, but then it is basically browser based, and we'll be back in the old days like with the smart X terminals :)   For tablet/phone, iOS and Android are both very similar and not one really is better than the other.

I'm not sure you understood the point I was making.

By way of example my current Android phone cost me £120 my daughters costs the best part of £700 on par with an IPhone.  Android phones can be had for even less than the cost of mine.

The bother do essentially the same thing but hers does it a bit faster and it has a much better camera. But when you look at the OS they are pretty well the same. Hers has some additions/enhancements yes, but these are not always a good thing.

As for MacOS being an all conquering OS, I have log since learnt it's pointless getting into a debate about this so i'll not get into one. For me the cost benefit is simply not there.

Edited by MJG
MacOS not iOS

17 minutes ago, MJG said:

I'm not sure you understood the point I was making.

By way of example my current Android phone cost me £120 my daughters costs the best part of £700 on par with an IPhone.  Android phones can be had for even less than the cost of mine.

The bother do essentially the same thing but hers does it a bit faster and it has a much better camera. But when you look at the OS they are pretty well the same. Hers has some additions/enhancements yes, but these are not always a good thing.

As for MacOS being an all conquering OS, I have log since learnt it's pointless getting into a debate about this so i'll not get into one. For me the cost benefit is simply not there.

Android is only the core OS, it could be easily Windows and users wouldn’t notice.   It’s only because Google have been pushing it unfairly that it’s got the attraction.    A cheap android phone doesn’t compare to a iPhone as Apple don’t do non-premium phones.  You need to compare a decent android based phone to apples equivalent.  The only argument you could have against Apple is that they don’t do non premium stuff.