2018 - Small Puter?

rusty69

Featured Posts

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

It had more problems than I was prepared to waste endless time fixing. I binned it and bought the Macbook 12". Brilliant decision.

Everything 'just works'. How can you put a price on that!

Except that you’ve ended up with a Mac

first proper 'puter I ever bought was a Mac from PC World.  I went home, put it all together and it wouldn't connect to tinternet.  Took it back and the customer service desk was blocked.  Eventually I got to speak to an assistant who told me they knew nothing about Mac puters and advised me to contact Apple customer service.  I told him that if the shop couldn't help me get a puter up and running straight from the box then I wanted my money back, and refused to leave the desk until they proved the puter was able to perform.  Eventually they tried, including trying to contact Apple, and after 90 minutes they finally gave up.  I bought an Amstrad instead and never looked back.  ............... once bitten ......   :angry:

I had a netbook (Acer Aspire One 10" running win7), fabulous bit of kit - survived 10k miles in a motorbike tankbag round Europe.  Eventually the hard drive bit the dust and was replaced by a SSD and Linux Mint; nothing wrong with it and it still works except the battery is getting a little short of life.  Bought a 14" Acer Chromebook last year (£200 from Currys), took 2 hours to install Linux as a dual-boot.  Luvverly.  And now the chrome OS will run android apps as well. Happy bunny.  It is physically larger than the Aspire, but the weight is about the same and the battery life is awesome.

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Thanks all. 

My heart says Macbook, my wallet says Chromebook. 

Decision made. 

MacBook then. A boater never listens to the wallet.

Edited by Robbo

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Thanks all. 

My heart says Macbook, my wallet says Chromebook. 

Decision made. 

"Buy cheap, buy twice", someone once said....

Very true. I bet you end up with a Macbook. Look on ebay at the way even really old ones hold their value if you want the view of the notebook market as a whole. 

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

"Buy cheap, buy twice", someone once said....

Very true. I bet you end up with a Macbook. Look on ebay at the way even really old ones hold their value if you want the view of the notebook market as a whole. 

Dunno how true that is with the puter market. My netebook cost 60 quid about 8 years ago. It still works, although a bit slower due to "improvements"  in the software it is now expected to run. 

I've looked at second hand apples, that's how I know i can't afford one:)

Edited by rusty69

On 16/05/2018 at 20:52, Mike the Boilerman said:

It works for me. 

Unlike several my Windows machines.

I was a lifelong windows lover until in 2012 I bought a Macbook Air (I had a big redundancy payout at the time and thought I'd have a splurge) - since then the windows machines have all been languishing in the dust as the Mac just feels so much slicker, even 6 years on.

I am an Apple convert.  Numerous windows laptops sitting around the house which contain data which I can’t access.

I have the iPhone, iPad and I have been looking for a MacBook Air.  There are plenty of new ones on eBay which go for about £650-£700 and obviously used ones cheaper still.  The only reason I haven’t pushed the button just yet is that there are rumours a new version will be announced in June.  This is more than plausible as the MacBook air is now quite long in the tooth despite it saying ‘2017’.

1 hour ago, Psycloud said:

I was a lifelong windows lover until in 2012 I bought a Macbook Air (I had a big redundancy payout at the time and thought I'd have a splurge) - since then the windows machines have all been languishing in the dust as the Mac just feels so much slicker, even 6 years on.

Same here. I’ve been a windows enthusiast ever since discovering win 3.0 was a billion times easier than DOS. With versions from 7 onwards Fewer and fewer of my expensively purchased software applications have worked without massive problems, or at all. Very disappointing the way Microsoft have abandoned all pretence of backwards compatibility. Coupled with the persistent and massive security upgrades installing themselves without asking and gobbling up my monthly data allowance, I finally lost patience. It was either Mac or Linux, and Linux seems to require hours of work under the bonnet to keep stuff working just like windows these days. So Mac was an easy decision. 

Should have changed over years ago. 

53 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

and Linux seems to require hours of work under the bonnet to keep stuff working just like windows

It did years ago, but distros like Ubuntu make it dead easy to install and use Linux now.