Radio turns itself on

Featured Posts

I have a "Bush DAB CD Car Stereo with Bluetooth & USB" fitted to my narrowboat with a conventional car radio aerial and powered (12v) aerial booster. It works fine but is prone to turning itself on at random times, i.e. when I'm away from the boat or in the middle of the night. I've googled this problem and many people seem to have similar problems although they have their car radios in cars and the solutions suggested don't seem particularly relevant.

Has anyone else had this problem or got a suggestion as to how to fix it (apart from turning off the power to the radio whenever it is not in use)?

If you turn the power off to the radio when not in use you'll probably also lose the pre-sets.

I've known these tricky little electronic beasties to be susceptible to interference by induction.  In other words a spark caused when a pump clicks in to upkeep pressure.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

A voltage spike or a voltage drop seem to be the likely causes but these probably require different solutions and I'll need to investigate further. In the meantime I've taken a CD out of the CD player (as suggested on some motoring forum). Who knows it might work!

On 15 May 2018 at 23:35, canals are us? said:

A priest needed?

Seriously has anyone had a boat that's haunted?

James:)

Seriously? Seriously had a boat that's haunted? Of course not, ghosts don't exist, the observed phenomena is actually down to fairy infestation. You can put down poison bait to get rid of them.

On 15/05/2018 at 23:35, canals are us? said:

Seriously has anyone had a boat that's haunted?

If you feel a "presence" in your boat/home it will be due to vibrations of a frequency that is out of your hearing range that's caused by something in your house/boat.

nbfiresprite. Apologies for not replying sooner but I was away on my boat. Your suggestion seems to be exactly what I need.

I took a CD out of the CD player and the problem has not reoccurred. BUT if and when it does, I'll get a Voltage Regulator Stabiliser - they seem very reasonably priced.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to offer constructive suggestions.