Settings for Tracer MPPT with 4 x Trojan T105

Psycloud

Featured Posts

I've just installed a Tracer 4215BN MPPT 40amp Solar controller from Bimble Solar with a 255w panel feeding 4x Trojan T105 6v batteries.  I've set up the user parameters as best I can but there are a couple I'm not 100% sure about...

I have set the following which are as close to the Trojan recommended settings:

Boost/Bulk Charge: 14.80 

Float Charge: 13.50

Equalise Charge: 16.20

Under the section Battery AH should I put 225 or 450?  I've currently got it at 225 but think that it should probably 450 as the total for the bank @ 12v?

Other settings I've got but not sure about and would like some clarity are:

Over Voltage Disconnect: 16.3 as this is 0.1 above Equalise

Boost Reconnect: 13.2 (default)

Low Voltage Reconnect: 12.6 (default)

Under Voltage Reconnect: 12.2 (default)

Under Voltage Warning: 12.0 (default)

Low Voltage Disconnect: 11.1 (default)

Discharge Limit: 10.6 (default)

Equalise Time: 120mins (default)

Boost Time: 120mins (default)

Temperature Compensation Coefficient: -3mv/C/2v however  the Trojan site says: Add 0.005 volt per cell for every 1°C below 25°C and Subtract 0.005 volt per cell for every 1°C below 25°C - so should I change the setting to -5mv?

Many thanks in advance.

I've got exactly the same set up but with 500w of panels and use those settings, the equalise, bulk and float ones being the main ones.  I think I cut the equalise down to 1 hour.  Four of those batteries are nominally 450 Ah but I put 440 just to allow for some degradation.  You may find that the float charge is great for when leaving the boat but if the batteries are in daily use, ie discharge/charge then the tracer goes into float rather early.  I often bang that up to 14.8 manually for a while just to ensure the batteries are really full  I use the remote box for this - do you have one?

13 hours ago, GRLMK38 said:

If you are on Facebook it would also be worth posting the same question in the "12 volt boating" group.  The two main guys are very well informed and straight talking. 

And opinionated. And not always right. 

16 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Unlike me, who's a̶l̶w̶a̶y̶s̶ never  opinionated (in my opinion) and not always r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ wrong (in my opinion) :)

Edited by rusty69

29 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Unlike me, who's a̶l̶w̶a̶y̶s̶ never  opinionated (in my opinion) and not always r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ wrong (in my opinion) :)

Yeah but you’re perfect. The muppet told me ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, larryjc said:

I've got exactly the same set up but with 500w of panels and use those settings, the equalise, bulk and float ones being the main ones.  I think I cut the equalise down to 1 hour.  Four of those batteries are nominally 450 Ah but I put 440 just to allow for some degradation.  You may find that the float charge is great for when leaving the boat but if the batteries are in daily use, ie discharge/charge then the tracer goes into float rather early.  I often bang that up to 14.8 manually for a while just to ensure the batteries are really full  I use the remote box for this - do you have one?

OK thank you :) I'll change the Ah setting to 440.  I've got another panel but not going to connect it yet. 

We have mains hookup but for an experiment I may run the boat on the inverter over the summer and watch the performance.  We are live aboard and just so I don't screw the batteries I can put the charger we have on a time clock so it comes on after dark for a few hours just to make sure the batteries are full before the days starts.  I appreciate this isn't the most efficient use of electricity but I want to experiment before we go off-grid permanently in the future.

32 minutes ago, Psycloud said:

OK thank you :) I'll change the Ah setting to 440.  I've got another panel but not going to connect it yet. 

We have mains hookup but for an experiment I may run the boat on the inverter over the summer and watch the performance.  We are live aboard and just so I don't screw the batteries I can put the charger we have on a time clock so it comes on after dark for a few hours just to make sure the batteries are full before the days starts.  I appreciate this isn't the most efficient use of electricity but I want to experiment before we go off-grid permanently in the future.

What battery monitoring do you have? BMV? SmartGauge? Ammeter?

46 minutes ago, Psycloud said:

We have a BM1.

Great. Have you wired the solar onto the correct side of the shunt so that you can see the charge current going into the Batteries?

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

Great. Have you wired the solar onto the correct side of the shunt so that you can see the charge current going into the Batteries?

I have indeed :) of course I’ve picked the worse day of the week to conduct this experiment. No sun at all but the Tracer is just about managing 2-3amps. The charger might be going on earlier than I’d hoped today :)

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

"... would be worth posting" i.e. to get an opinion.  They have helped me in the past and were right.

I'll leave it with you.

1 hour ago, Psycloud said:

I have indeed :) of course I’ve picked the worse day of the week to conduct this experiment. No sun at all but the Tracer is just about managing 2-3amps. The charger might be going on earlier than I’d hoped today :)

What we’re (well, you’re) looking for then will be a nice low 4 amps at 14.8V at the end of the charge. It may be that the Tracer switches to float too early and this will be something worth looking out for. 

23 hours ago, larryjc said:

I often bang that up to 14.8 manually for a while just to ensure the batteries are really full  I use the remote box for this - do you have one?

15 hours ago, WotEver said:

What we’re (well, you’re) looking for then will be a nice low 4 amps at 14.8V at the end of the charge. It may be that the Tracer switches to float too early and this will be something worth looking out for. 

I do have the MT50 remote box - and yes I think the tracer does go into float too early.  Are you saying that you change the float voltage to 14.8v in the settings then change it back, or is there an override function?

Many thanks

David

25 minutes ago, Psycloud said:

I do have the MT50 remote box - and yes I think the tracer does go into float too early.  Are you saying that you change the float voltage to 14.8v in the settings then change it back, or is there an override function?

Yep, what Larry was saying is that he changes the float setting to be 14.8V until he sees the charge current drop to around 1% of capacity (4A) while the sun is shining. Then he changes it back to the ‘normal’ float voltage. 

If you have a read through this post, although it’s mostly talking about a mains charger it should give you the gist of what we’re talking about regarding tail current. 

7 hours ago, Psycloud said:

Many thanks

David

No override - you have to do it manually but once you've done the key presses a dozen times it only takes seconds.

• 2 years later...
On 15/05/2018 at 11:42, Psycloud said:

I've just installed a Tracer 4215BN MPPT 40amp Solar controller from Bimble Solar with a 255w panel feeding 4x Trojan T105 6v batteries.  I've set up the user parameters as best I can but there are a couple I'm not 100% sure about...

I have set the following which are as close to the Trojan recommended settings:

Boost/Bulk Charge: 14.80 

Float Charge: 13.50

Equalise Charge: 16.20

Under the section Battery AH should I put 225 or 450?  I've currently got it at 225 but think that it should probably 450 as the total for the bank @ 12v?

Other settings I've got but not sure about and would like some clarity are:

Over Voltage Disconnect: 16.3 as this is 0.1 above Equalise

Boost Reconnect: 13.2 (default)

Low Voltage Reconnect: 12.6 (default)

Under Voltage Reconnect: 12.2 (default)

Under Voltage Warning: 12.0 (default)

Low Voltage Disconnect: 11.1 (default)

Discharge Limit: 10.6 (default)

Equalise Time: 120mins (default)

Boost Time: 120mins (default)

Temperature Compensation Coefficient: -3mv/C/2v however  the Trojan site says: Add 0.005 volt per cell for every 1°C below 25°C and Subtract 0.005 volt per cell for every 1°C below 25°C - so should I change the setting to -5mv?

Many thanks in advance.

I just got the same Epever 4210 AN 100/40 and trying to figure out the settings with my 10 trojans T-105 have you found your setting worked well for you or have you adjusted them some...and if so could you share those with me :-) Currently have 2200 watts solar spread over 3 controllers and this Epever with the MT50  is proving much harder to set up then the other 2 I had ANY help is great!

I lowered the equalise voltage as it blew a couple of our led ladies lights and were mostly on hookup anyways. Starting from next week we’ll be off grid so will actually start using them in anger.  Even though they’re now 6/7 years old they’ve never been below 50% and rarely below 80% so it will be interesting to see how quickly I need to replace them. 

9 minutes ago, Psycloud said:

I lowered the equalise voltage as it blew a couple of our led ladies lights and were mostly on hookup anyways. Starting from next week we’ll be off grid so will actually start using them in anger.  Even though they’re now 6/7 years old they’ve never been below 50% and rarely below 80% so it will be interesting to see how quickly I need to replace them. 

I kept my equalize at 15.5 so that should be good everything else stayed the same though and still running strong 6/7 years later that is great!! I'm on my 4th year on my 10 trojans but live full time boondocking and used them 24/7 they never rest just built the rack on back.

Thanks for answering so quick!!

IMG_20210311_175340.jpg