Creeping Crack Cure - seriously!

OliveOyl

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

It is only watered down PVA but I have used it extensively on leaking windows over the last 12 months. No leaks at all now...I think the stuff is worth it's weight in gold....silver.....something more than concentrated PVA. Wouldn't be without it. 2nd best thing on the boat.

I'm fairly certain it is not based on pva, even though it is visually similar. The slight purple tint reminds me of some of the more expensive rust converters, which often contain latex.

13 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

It may have another magic ingredient to change surface tension so it goes in the cracks. Just buy a bottle.

+1 for this ?

I recently discovered rain was was being drawn around the bolt heads and washers of the rear flue collar.

At first glance they appeared to be well sealed with paint and sealant, but testing revieled the truth. ?

After about 5 or 6 applications of CTCCC at 30 mins intervals, it stopped being drawn in by capillary action, so I’m hoping this might be the final part of the jigsaw for a leak proof back cabin.

Proper job planned when time allows - will report on result next time it rains.

8 minutes ago, BWM said:

I'm fairly certain it is not based on pva, even though it is visually similar. The slight purple tint reminds me of some of the more expensive rust converters, which often contain latex.

Here is the msds sheet.

http://www.captaintolley.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/ct_material_safety_data.pdf

it contains a bit of ethanol and a couple of biocides (MIT and BIT) but it doesn't say what the polymer is. I would still guess at PVA the way it goes white on standing. The ethanol will make it easier to get into cracks. Doubt if it is easy to copy.

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Its a water based copolymer (WotEver that is). Is there a chemist in the house? 

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Here is the msds sheet.

http://www.captaintolley.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/ct_material_safety_data.pdf

it contains a bit of ethanol and a couple of biocides (MIT and BIT) but it doesn't say what the polymer is. I would still guess at PVA the way it goes white on standing. The ethanol will make it easier to get into cracks. Doubt if it is easy to copy.

Blimey. That was quick. Wish my doctor was that quick! 

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Ok, whats the first best thing?

A wire coat hanger.  Soft enough to bend into any shape but stiff enough to fix all sorts of things.  Used it once to fix broken a broken steering cable mounting, and to create a boathook on the end of a mop handle.

Edited by Waterway2go
Spelling
  • Greenie 1

Having plugged leaks in a wooden boat for over twenty years, I have used pretty well every sealant on the market.  Captain Tolley's concoction, in my experience, is totally useless.  Give me Sikaflex every time.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Waterway2go said:

A wire coat hanger.  Soft enough to bend into any shape but stiff enough to fix all sorts of things.  Used it once to fix broken a broken steering cable mounting, and to create a boathook on the end of a mop handle.

They are getting harder and harder to find now most have gone plastic, I used one to get into a girls car that her toddler locked from inside with her keys in the ignition, kid was overheating in its car seat and mum was hysterical.

Neil

As long as you don't expect too much from it (I. E a massive gap) and don't expect a long term permanent fix its definitely worth a try. Sealed our leaking yacht windows last year, where the alternative would have been new rubber seals. Sikaflex, i doubt would have worked. 

From Tolley homself:

"Make sure the crack is hairline (i.e. less than 1mm wide) and as dry as possible. If it’s an outdoor repair the conditions must be frost and rain-free" 

4 hours ago, Waterway2go said:

Yes but does it distribute the heat from a solid fuel stove?

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Blimey. That was quick. Wish my doctor was that quick! 

I dont hang about!

I was typing the answer as you were typing the question.

4 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

Having plugged leaks in a wooden boat for over twenty years, I have used pretty well every sealant on the market.  Captain Tolley's concoction, in my experience, is totally useless.  Give me Sikaflex every time.

Well its never going to seal holes in wooden boats. Nothing seals leaks in wooden boats.:rolleyes:

On 16/05/2018 at 09:05, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is it so expensive that we need to try to make our own?

As you say, it might be more than just PVA diluted with water. Re-inventing a product already properly researched and done well is rarely that successful.

I have just paid circa £13 ( plus P & P) and will test it and post my results.

Thanks to those of you who have given me the benefit of their experience with it, it will be worth every penny to me if it works!

OO

13 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

If you wedged it into a crack it might expand and seal the joint. I certainly wouldnt eat it.?

Popeye never smoked joints, but there was definitely something in that pipe other than Spinach.

That's how he ended up with Blutoes

(insert Popeye style larff here) 

google.com.png

Edited by rusty69

On 16/05/2018 at 09:27, Dr Bob said:

Here is the msds sheet.

I used to have some special effects latex that I seem to remember going white on drying (and PVA is just white all the time, it goes pretty clear on drying, used to use gallons of the stuff on paper sculptures). Not tried Captain Scrumbles Orifice Enhancer, but anyone remember 'Seek and seal' for car windscreens? Was a runny liquid that used to dry very tacky just like latex, wouldn't surprise me if it was the same product.