Creeping Crack Cure - seriously!

OliveOyl

Featured Posts

I seem to have a leak and a kind friend insisted it was where a wire goes into cabin, so put a grommet thing in for me - but alas, the leak continues.

Then found an article in an automotive magazine where a chap said his vehicle had been leaking for 2yrs  despite many repairs, but that he'd finally solved it by using 'Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure'.

I thought it was a wind=up but googled it, and read some positive reviews and found  it has many fans. Anyone on here ever used it?

OO

1 minute ago, OliveOyl said:

I seem to have a leak and a kind friend insisted it was where a wire goes into cabin, so put a grommet thing in for me - but alas, the leak continues.

Then found an article in an automotive magazine where a chap said his vehicle had been leaking for 2yrs  despite many repairs, but that he'd finally solved it by using 'Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure'.

I thought it was a wind=up but googled it, and read some positive reviews and found  it has many fans. Anyone on here ever used it?

OO

Yes and it works brilliantly on small gaps around windows etc.

I've been temporarily sorting my windows with this for far too many years ;)

• Greenie 1

I have used it on both my boats when I had them and a couple of friends boats and it has worked every time.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Captain-Tolleys-Creeping-Crack-Cure-leak-crack-sealer-250ml/323207457335?epid=8018046931&hash=item4b40aa6a37:g:FhkAAOSwCHBa0Tts

I would think it is available in chandleries as well.

Edited by pete.i

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

"Shut your crack" would have been a better name.

I told my son about it earlier, as he has an older car, and he heaved a sigh of relief - apparently he had been on my ipad earlier and seen it in my search history and wondered what on earth I was up to :wacko:

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

We used a couple of years ago it on a water leak where the chimney comes through the roof, hasn't leaked since (is that tempting fate??:unsure:). I was dubious about using it for that at the time but as the girl in Wharf House Chandlers in Braunston pointed out, it doesn't actually get that hot.

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Yep. Works if the "crack" isn't too big,

Exactly This, it works brilliantly on fine cracks but not on anything that could be considered as a gap..

It is only watered down PVA but I have used it extensively on leaking windows over the last 12 months. No leaks at all now...I think the stuff is worth it's weight in gold....silver.....something more than concentrated PVA. Wouldn't be without it. 2nd best thing on the boat.

7 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

It is only watered down PVA but I have used it extensively on leaking windows over the last 12 months. No leaks at all now...I think the stuff is worth it's weight in gold....silver.....something more than concentrated PVA. Wouldn't be without it. 2nd best thing on the boat.

Ok, whats the first best thing?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

If it's only diluted pva we could make it ourselves. But do we know what it's diluted with.

Neil

It may have another magic ingredient to change surface tension so it goes in the cracks. Just buy a bottle.

18 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

If it's only diluted pva we could make it ourselves. But do we know what it's diluted with.

Neil

Is it so expensive that we need to try to make our own?

As you say, it might be more than just PVA diluted with water. Re-inventing a product already properly researched and done well is rarely that successful.