Gang plank

Steve Manc

Featured Posts

Hi

looking to buy a gang plank and thinking of buying a scaffolding board and cutting it down. I have read a number of comments on this forum re rivers suggesting it may need a longer length. I have not cruised rivers at present only canals.

Midland Chandlers have one for sale 79 inches x 8 inches.   

What is a an ideal length to accommodate rivers and canals?

Thanks

Personally I've not needed to use a gang plank, so it's probably more like a question of local requirements and needs rather than one plank suits all.    If you need one for your home mooring then I would make a wide one to the length you require.

Edited by Robbo

8ft should be long enough, but be aware that scaffold boards are graded according to the distance between supports that it can be placed, so make sure youi get one that is graded for a minimum of 1.5metres and preferably 2.5metres :- https://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail/?pid=000000000030113949

I would have thought a scaffold plank would be too rough and far too heavy to be easily handled - particularly if holding one end of an 8 feet plank trying to bridge a gap big enough to demand that size.  

Do you really even need one in your cruising area? If the answer is "yes" from experience of going alongside and having a gap to bridge, then you have experience enough to know what size you need.  My experience is that I can remember using a gangplank occasionally in the distant past, but my 6' version has been unused for 5 years now. 

• 10 months later...
On 15/05/2018 at 14:01, Steve Manc said:

Hi

looking to buy a gang plank and thinking of buying a scaffolding board and cutting it down. I have read a number of comments on this forum re rivers suggesting it may need a longer length. I have not cruised rivers at present only canals.

Midland Chandlers have one for sale 79 inches x 8 inches.   

What is a an ideal length to accommodate rivers and canals?

Thanks

I did not purchase a plank last year. Booked to go onto the Lancaster Canal this summer. I have purchased the Lancaster Trust book which recommends boat users have a plank. 

Has anyone traveled the Lancaster the canal and used a plank?

Does anyone have a plank, if so what length is it and why?

I am thinking of purchasing a scaffolding board from B&Q and cut it down to six foot 6 inches. This website, posted above, recommend  support every 1.2 to 1.5 meters  / 3 feet 11 inches ish   https://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail/?pid=000000000030113949 . We will used it in an emergency and not every day use so I will take the risk :) 

Thanks

Following on from post #9, my gang plank now resides in my garage! My long shaft might have joined it for the same reason,  but it wouldn't fit in the car so that saved me a decision. The rack has been removed from the roof though, so it has no fixed abode and may well become a burden. Of course, then I'll need one - though I can't think why.  I'll keep the boat hook.  ;)

A way I found to deal with a long heavy boarding plank (just made from scaffold board) is to cut a piece of plywood about 1.25" wider than the plank on both sides and then have a length of 1" square glued and screwed running down each long side of the ply. This is dead light and can be thrown out to the bank and then slide the heavy plank down the channel. 

11 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

A way I found to deal with a long heavy boarding plank (just made from scaffold board) is to cut a piece of plywood about 1.25" wider than the plank on both sides and then have a length of 1" square glued and screwed running down each long side of the ply. This is dead light and can be thrown out to the bank and then slide the heavy plank down the channel. 

I used an old aluminium ladder with 12mm exterior ply laid on the rungs.  It’s a bit narrow, but reasonably light.

7 hours ago, Steve Manc said:

I am thinking of purchasing a scaffolding board from B&Q and cut it down to six foot 6 inches.

That's exactly what I did. It's still heavy but manageable, and a lot cheaper than anything sold by the chandlers. We do use it occasionally, but I do wish we could persuade the dog to walk on it too.

If you are planning to do the K&A you will need an 8ft plank in some places. I made one from scaffold board, but check the grade and width as some of the cheaper ones are not suitable for a span of more than 1.2metres. This web site gives more detailed information :- https://probuildermag.co.uk/features/grade-a-scaffold-boards-warning

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

I used an old aluminium ladder with 12mm exterior ply laid on the rungs.  It’s a bit narrow, but reasonably light.

I did the same but got a local fabricator to cut and bend a piece of aluminium so that it wedges between the stiles, yet is easily removed so that the "plank" can also be used as a rescue ladder.

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

If you are planning to do the K&A you will need an 8ft plank in some places. I made one from scaffold board, but check the grade and width as some of the cheaper ones are not suitable for a span of more than 1.2metres. This web site gives more detailed information :- https://probuildermag.co.uk/features/grade-a-scaffold-boards-warning

I'd never get my wussy labrador to walk an 8 foot plank, so it's all a bit academic to me!  She won't walk a 6 foot plank either though, so I just don't moor where I can't get the dog off "freestyle" and hence the planks not earned it's keep.  Its in the garage in Devon if I need it in a hurry though, so I'm not worried. ;)

I used an 8' piece of scaff board for ages.  It's a good idea to have a spreader on the outboard end so that it doesn't tip in use.  Now we have an aluminium ladder with an aluminium plate clipped to it.  Very light and easy.

N

The idea of using a ladder coupled with a plank or ply is an excellent one as the 'ladder' side can be used to assist anyone who has fallen in to easily exit the canal or river. At the moment we're on the K&A and have two 8' scaffold planks. Be sure to drill a hole to attach a length of rope to easily retrieve them and keep them attached to the boat.

15 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I'd never get my wussy labrador to walk an 8 foot plank, so it's all a bit academic to me!  She won't walk a 6 foot plank either though, so I just don't moor where I can't get the dog off "freestyle" and hence the planks not earned it's keep.  Its in the garage in Devon if I need it in a hurry though, so I'm not worried. ;)

You could try getting your dog to walk along the plank when it is lying on the ground. Being a lab, she will probably follow your hand with a bit of food in it and when she is happy walking on the plank on the ground, raise the ends on a couple of bricks and progress till she is happy walking over a plank between the boat and bank. 

haggis

1 hour ago, haggis said:

You could try getting your dog to walk along the plank when it is lying on the ground. Being a lab, she will probably follow your hand with a bit of food in it and when she is happy walking on the plank on the ground, raise the ends on a couple of bricks and progress till she is happy walking over a plank between the boat and bank. 

haggis

.....         and pigs might fly; in my experience there are labs who do and those who don't.  I often had to carry mine up open treaded steps in spite of all efforts. She memorably took a freshly guddled trout out of it's hiding place and carried up the river bank past a few astonished anglers!

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

.....         and pigs might fly; in my experience there are labs who do and those who don't.  I often had to carry mine up open treaded steps in spite of all efforts. She memorably took a freshly guddled trout out of it's hiding place and carried up the river bank past a few astonished anglers!

It's all in the training ? . Not surprised if a dog won't go over a gang plank or up open steps if it has not been properly taught to do these things. I have competed in dog agility for more years than I care to remember and have yet to hear of a dog which can't be taught to go over the dog walk which is essentially three 12 foot long planks end to end with the middle one being supported on trestles about 5 feet off the ground.  The dogs start off walking over it and progress to running flat out over the planks. 

haggis