30-ft Lime Green Narrowboat Stolen Tyle Mill, K&A

Jim Batty

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

No apology needed. My comment wasn't aimed at this case in particular but a growing insurance scam.

We have witnessed this scam first hand so we know it exists. 

It's going to make a very boring forum if we are not supposed to discuss boats!

Are you making this up?

1 hour ago, kawaton said:

Although, agree no apology needed (just respectful) as humans speculate, speculation leads to discussion, which keeps topics alive/active (which ultimately when a boat is missing is a good thing)

Quite right. But a proportion of posters here seem to regard speculation as a BAD THING which must be suppressed at every opportunity. 

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Quite right. But a proportion of posters here seem to regard speculation as a BAD THING which must be suppressed at every opportunity. 

As my favourite philosopher Shania twain once said

"that don't impress me much" 

41 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

No. Sadly not.

As evidenced here

http://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/16171449.Flintshire_man_who_reported_boat_stolen_for_insurance_scam_was_caught_out/

Strangely as it may seem to you I have no beef with the subject itself  being discussed, my beef was with the wording "probably a scam" with no supporting evidence.

If the wording had been  something like "There is always a possibility with these boat theft reports of a scam therefore to we should be aware of this........" 

Then I don't think there would be any need for this particular argument to take place. Sometimes a misplaced word can cause much confusion. 

As I said happy to discuss boat theft scams in general for as you say there does appear to be a growth in these taking place, possibly in another thread? 

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 1

I guess it depends on what proportion of incidents where boats are reported as stolen as part of an insurance scam.

If it is greater that 50%, then Naughty Cal's observation was correct. The fact that it wasn't a scam isn't really relevant.

However, I doubt if it is more than 50%.

17 minutes ago, billS said:

I guess it depends on what proportion of incidents where boats are reported as stolen as part of an insurance scam.

If it is greater that 50%, then Naughty Cal's observation was correct. The fact that it wasn't a scam isn't really relevant.

However, I doubt if it is more than 50%.

I suspect both set of figures to be low. My view is that the boat theft scam figures are low enough to take a "trust but verify" approach to narrow boat theft reports, that way assistance can be given early. Others may take an opposite view of not trusting until verified. 

25 minutes ago, reg said:

I suspect both set of figures to be low. My view is that the boat theft scam figures are low enough to take a "trust but verify" approach to narrow boat theft reports, that way assistance can be given early. Others may take an opposite view of not trusting until verified. 

Didn't a poster here say they got a mouthful of abuse from the owner when attempting to verify? 

50 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Didn't a poster here say they got a mouthful of abuse from the owner when attempting to verify? 

No and that is where Internet mistakes creep In.

The poster from here asked for a police number on narrow boat users facebook group so that he could post a message on here. It was the regulars on that group who seemed to take umbrage at him asking for the number. 

The important point being that at that point the owner had not posted it, was not a member of the group and had not been party to the fractious discussion.

This somehow interpretated on here  as the owner refusing to give a number and comments being made based on that misinterpretation. Nothing could be further from the truth the owner was not even aware of the Facebook request at the time and was not involved in the argument. 

If the owner had done as you say above then the comments on here, that I and others have been complaining about, may have had some validity but as he did not say those things and had no part in them then the comments needed to be addressed. 

Another case of social media Chinese whispers me thinks

Social media is a wonderful tool for communication whilst being at the same time a completely rubbish tool for communication. 

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 3

10 minutes ago, reg said:

The poster from here asked for a police number on narrow boat users facebook group so that he could post a message on here. It was the regulars on that group who seemed to take umbrage at him asking for the number. 

Ah ok, I stand corrected. Thank you for the explanation.

It seemed odd that the owner would be abusive but now it makes a lot more sense. Just as folk on here can take umbrage at certain things unexpectedly, E.G. a film student popping up and asking in all innocence if anyone would like to take part in their 'living on a boat' film project. 

Or indeed a fashion designer explaining how important she was in the fashion world and wanting to make a seasons collection based on our (our?) rather quaint lifestyle. 

Might of exaggerated that a bit but seems accurate enough for the internet

Edited by reg