30-ft Lime Green Narrowboat Stolen Tyle Mill, K&A

Jim Batty

Featured Posts

The owner just let me know that he has found his boat!

About 100m below where it was tied up at Tyle Mill, a weir stream on the offside heads off into willows and scrub around an estate on an island. It seems the boat either came loose (or was set loose?) and in the still surprisingly strong current of the Kennet drifted into that backwater and disappeared ... until the estate owners discovered it and reported it. The owner was informed just over an hour ago.

A few days ago someone either here or elsewhere commented that it may have done something like this. I wandered down to where the river splits off and looked down there with binoculars. But I could only see in about 70m through hanging trees. It 's amazing where and how far an empty boat can travel on the current. I would have expected it to 'spin off' on the outside of the current and end up amongst the long-term live aboard moorings at Tyle Mill.

Google Maps: the boat was originally tied up lower left and drifted up the weir stream to the upper right.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4160242,-1.1063301,602m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Glad he's been reunited!

1 hour ago, Jim Batty said:

A few days ago someone either here or elsewhere commented that it may have done something like this.

That was me but I requested the post be withdrawn as it seemed to be muddying g the waters as it was said that sightings had been made elsewhere. 

Seems to of happened exactly as I surmised (now wearing my Jeremy Clarkson smug face and hating myself for it) 

Kudos Jim for making the effort to follow up on my post and for your efforts and commitment to helping a fellow boater. 

Brilliant news

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Excellent news - although it means that the "sightings" mentioned earlier were either erroneous or fictitious.

Owners Cofirmation here

https://m.facebook.com/groups/195610990833869/?ref=group_header&view=group

Warning site heading  not for the easily offended. 

Edited by reg
Warning added based on later comment

6 hours ago, Wanted said:

i cant imagine living in a world where such negativity is my default. you need to fill up yer glass!

Not negativity. Just sadly what appears to be an ever increasing scam to weedle money from insurers and in some cases leading to people donating their own hard earned money to fraudsters :angry:

In this particular case it was a genuine case of,1. Boat slipped its mooring and went for a cruise. 2. Some Herbert untied the boat and sent it on a cruise.

i have spoken to the owner a couple of days ago. He was well hacked off that his boat had gone awol.

1 minute ago, reg said:

So moral of this thread is don't lose your boat if not known to forum members personally and/or you don't have an acceptable looking boat? 

No. It's don't steal boats unless your a thieving git or barking mad. :D

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not negativity. Just sadly what appears to be an ever increasing scam to weedle money from insurers and in some cases leading to people donating their own hard earned money to fraudsters :angry:

how can it appear to be an ever-increasing scam when this case is proven not to be? do you shout knife crime every time you walk into a kitchen? maybe an apology to the owner of the boat you accused of scamming might be in order?

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

If you want help finding a missing boat, supply all the information not just's bit's. I.e Name and Index number, Crime number, Type, Last location seen, Colour Photos and detailed description of the vessel. 

But the info was provided on other sites not this one, speculation started whilst the owner was actively looking for his boat and may not even of been aware that this forum existed. 

I don't see why anyone should be maligned without their knowledge on a forum they may not even know about particularly during a time of great stress. And then when they get good news it's felt necessary to denigrate their boat looks. 

Not the forums finest hour methinks. 

I'm saying no more other than to say that I was greatly disappointed with the way the thread headed. 

Eta I don't disagree with what you say if they, or a representitive of theirs comes to this forum.   maybe in future what you say above should be raised and explained with an op when they request assistance in this type of search. 

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 3

17 hours ago, Wanted said:

how can it appear to be an ever-increasing scam when this case is proven not to be? do you shout knife crime every time you walk into a kitchen? maybe an apology to the owner of the boat you accused of scamming might be in order?

No apology needed. My comment wasn't aimed at this case in particular but a growing insurance scam.

We have witnessed this scam first hand so we know it exists. 

16 hours ago, reg said:

But the info was provided on other sites not this one, speculation started whilst the owner was actively looking for his boat and may not even of been aware that this forum existed. 

I don't see why anyone should be maligned without their knowledge on a forum they may not even know about particularly during a time of great stress. And then when they get good news it's felt necessary to denigrate their boat looks. 

Not the forums finest hour methinks. 

I'm saying no more other than to say that I was greatly disappointed with the way the thread headed. 

Eta I don't disagree with what you say if they, or a representitive of theirs comes to this forum.   maybe in future what you say above should be raised and explained with an op when they request assistance in this type of search. 

It's going to make a very boring forum if we are not supposed to discuss boats!

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 16:48, Naughty Cal said:

Probably another insurance scam. 

16 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

No apology needed. My comment wasn't aimed at this case in particular but a growing insurance scam.

Although, agree no apology needed (just respectful) as humans speculate, speculation leads to discussion, which keeps topics alive/active (which ultimately when a boat is missing is a good thing)

Edited by kawaton

2 minutes ago, kawaton said:

The comment that  wantan quoted was made after the boat had been found.

Perhaps I am overly suspicious of these "stolen" boat threads. But with good reason sadly.

In this case the boat was not stolen.

49 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The comment that  wantan quoted was made after the boat had been found.

Perhaps I am overly suspicious of these "stolen" boat threads. But with good reason sadly.

In this case the boat was not stolen.

ever thought of going into politics?