30-ft Lime Green Narrowboat Stolen Tyle Mill, K&A

Jim Batty

Featured Posts

Could people keep an eye out for a bright lime green 30' narrowboat with artificial grass roof, high pointy bow and genuine heavy duty brass portholes. I don't think there is a name on the boat.

It was stolen from Tyle Mill on the K&A some time between 4pm and 8pm on Friday and heading -- at night, with no tunnel lamp but low light from stern -- towards the River Thames.

Paul Diprose, on 'Ozzie' fuel boat, has a Facebook thread on this at https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010712012281

Places to hide a boat and repaint on the Thames nearby? 

1) Just above Sonning Lock behind those islands that back onto the Redgrave Pinsent Rowing Lake
2) Behind the islands above Shiplake Lock overlooking the Shiplake College playing fields
3) Perhaps between the islands above the lock at Henley, accessible via the Wargrave moorings
4) Upstream of Reading perhaps on the islands just downstream of Tilehurst Rail Station.

Just now, Jim Batty said:

Could people keep an eye out for a bright lime green 30' narrowboat with artificial grass roof, high pointy bow and genuine heavy duty brass portholes. I don't think there is a name on the boat.

It was stolen from Tyle Mill on the K&A 

The cynic in me wonders if it had no licence either. 

I know someone who experienced a similar  apparent theft. It turned out CRT had turned up during the day while he was at work with a crane and lifted it out. He considered licences optional and had ignored reems of letters from CRT and pointed out they never followed through on their threats. And then they did!

8 minutes ago, Jim Batty said:

It was stolen from Tyle Mill on the K&A some time between 4pm and 8pm on Friday and heading -- at night, with no tunnel lamp but low light from stern -- towards the River Thames.

Paul Diprose, on 'Ozzie' fuel boat, has a Facebook thread on this at https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010712012281

Places to hide a boat and repaint on the Thames nearby? 

1) Just above Sonning Lock behind those islands that back onto the Redgrave Pinsent Rowing Lake
2) Behind the islands above Shiplake Lock overlooking the Shiplake College playing fields
3) Perhaps between the islands above the lock at Henley, accessible via the Wargrave moorings
4) Upstream of Reading perhaps on the islands just downstream of Tilehurst Rail Station.

Not everyone can read it - there are still some non-farcebook users in the world.

Are there any details of the Police report number so it can be referenced, or is it possible that it is yet another 'domestic' ?

Sorry to be so cynical but unfortunately the number of canal boat (alleged) thefts have made me that way.

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The cynic in me wonders if it had no licence either. 

I know someone who experienced a similar  apparent theft. It turned out CRT had turned up during the day while he was at work with a crane and lifted it out. He considered licences optional and had ignored reems of letters from CRT and pointed out they never followed through on their threats. And then they did!

It's been on Facebook's 'Canal Market Place' as well. People have asked for details of the crime number plus the name and index number, yet the details have not been posted.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not everyone can read it - there are still some non-farcebook users in the world.

Are there any details of the Police report number so it can be referenced, or is it possible that it is yet another 'domestic' ?

Sorry to be so cynical but unfortunately the number of canal boat (alleged) thefts have made me that way.

Yes, I know FB is not globally hard-wired yet! I just put it there for those who might use it.

The poor guy came by on his bike this morning and told me his sad news. He has informed the police, covered the K&A by bike from Tyle Mill to Reading yesterday without seeing their boat, and was about to talk with the lock keeper at Caversham when he set off. Sorry I don't have a photo of the boat to post. 

13 minutes ago, Jim Batty said:

Hi Mike

Well, I can't comment on that. Certainly no cranes in the immediate vicinity Friday afternoon. 

Despite my jaded view of life I will keep a careful eye out for it as I’m in the area often. 

The appearance of the boat will be massively and easily changed however, by removal of the AstroTurf and a lick of paint. I’ll study the photo with this in mind. 

5 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Not what I expected "genuine heavy duty brass portholes" to look like ...

They're at the front end of the boat. I think you can just make one out at the far end in the photo.

Edited by Jim Batty

4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Ah... okay.  The combination of porthole and windows should make it quite distinctive, even if repainted.  Do you know if it is a similar window arrangement on the port side?

Crikey, sorry, I don't know. I think there's a porthole either side at the bow, but couldn't swear to it. I spent all of three minutes helping these guys haul their boat in against the flow of the River Kennet last Friday, so didn't note much. But I do remember a fine brass porthole. 

Their rope bow fender was also loose -- attached by a rope or something -- because the bow rope was caught around it as we pulled the bow in, and it drew the fender to the side of the bow deck. (Don't ask me how this is possible!) I take it they're pretty new to this game and didn't seem to know how to respond to the still very strong current when coming in to the shore. 

Just to clarify when I said in my previous post "ignore this" I was referring to ignoring my own post and not this thread. Bad grammar I'm afraid. 

Edited by reg

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It caused quite a stir when someone asked that on FB

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yep. No twelve year olds on this boat hence no Farcebook.