Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

I tried the test in this video. https://youtu.be/dhf6IdBbE3Y The alternator is putting out 14.45 volts, the diode test passes but it seems to be putting out a lot of AC according to my meter 30 volts. I wonder if I am measuring the right thing. The excitor wire has 12.2 volts at the alternator end when running. 

I am on the boat until I get back home from the challenge now so can quickly try anything people suggest.

Cheers Graham

16 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

I tried the test in this video. https://youtu.be/dhf6IdBbE3Y

Why?

Why didn’t you do the test described by Tony B in this post?

Depending on the multimeter, many of them will give a spurious reading on an AC range when connected to a D.C. voltage - it means nothing. 

If you’ve measured 14.45V on B+ and 12.2V at the same time on D then you have a blown diode as Snib described. 

If your readings were accurate that would have shown 2.25V between B+ and D

Problem solved, I don't have much time to fix this so just got a new alternator from Calcutt. The alarm is silent when running.

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

Cheers Graham

4 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

Problem solved, I don't have much time to fix this so just got a new alternator from Calcutt. The alarm is silent when running.

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

Cheers Graham

And the charge light no longer glimmers?

24 minutes ago, WotEver said:

And the charge light no longer glimmers?

Sorry for the slight delay in my normal prompt service but I had to put the tonneau cover back on to make it dark enough to be sure. The charge light is dark! Yes! 

Don't worry I have checked that the light comes on when the engine is stopped and that the alarm does function. So they are both working properly for the first time in years. 

Cheers Graham

Edited by Graham and Jo
Spelling