Featured Posts

I bought a boat years ago with my girlfriend at the time. We have since split up and I am now the sole owner. We need to change the bill of sale so that it is only in one name.

What is the best way to do this so that it is legitimate? 

She is happy signing etc but I don't know what paperwork is required.

I think you are best off writing out a brief note for you both to sign saying she relinquishes any claim of ownership on the boat, and that you are now the sole owner with full responsibility for all future costs of ownership of the boat. Attach this to your old bill of sale. 

But I am not a lawyer and if you want it sorted in a legally watertight way, you need to consult one. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
To fiddle with my suggestion.

18 minutes ago, Nimdoorquoi said:

I bought a boat years ago with my girlfriend at the time. We have since split up and I am now the sole owner. We need to change the bill of sale so that it is only in one name.

What is the best way to do this so that it is legitimate? 

She is happy signing etc but I don't know what paperwork is required.

What sort of Bill Of sale is it ?

Is it a scrap of paper saying you have paid, or is it a 'proper official' BoS listing all details and dividing the boat into 1/64ths and list how many shares each person owns etc etc ?

If it is just a 'scrap of paper' then I'd suggest Mike's suggestion would be a reasonable (no-cost) way of moving forward.

If it happens to be a Part 1 registered boat - then all bets are off and you need all proper documents completing and witnessing.

surely a piece of paper along the following lines would suffice.

I <her name> confirm that as of <date> I have no financial interest in the vessel known as <Boat Name> Registration <Reg No> and that <Your Name> is hereafter the sole owner.

<her signature & printed name> <Date of signature>

<your signature & printed name> <Date of signature>

6 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

surely a piece of paper along the following lines would suffice.

I <her name> confirm that as of <date> I have no financial interest in the vessel known as <Boat Name> Registration <Reg No> and that <Your Name> is hereafter the sole owner.

<her signature & printed name> <Date of signature>

<your signature & printed name> <Date of signature>

<witness signature, printed name, and address> <dated.

And - get an independent witness to sign & date it (witness to include their address) so it can be proven that it was not signed by your ex GF 'under duress'

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Just now, Nightwatch said:

only joking Mike. I understand you were in Aldermaston recently. I have spies.

Yep you're right. I subverted an aldermaston boater to the delights of bellringing yesterday!

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Me too, but I can rarely manage a whole one...

I expect a full " Ring of bells " to be playing in my honour as we pass bye ?