Looks like Bosworth Marina are getting in on this mooring charge lark!

nipper

Featured Posts

It seems that Bosworth Marina are charging boats to moor up on the tow path outside their Marina.

This is not on the off side, but on the actual towpath.

Is this right?

I though that the canal towpaths belong to Cart!

Any views?

Nipper

DSC_0162.JPG

DSC_0161.JPG

DSC_0160.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG

Edited by nipper

19 minutes ago, nipper said:

It seems that Bosworth Marina are charging boats to moor up on the tow path outside their Marina.

Is this right?

Any views?

Nipper

DSC_0162.JPG

DSC_0161.JPG

DSC_0160.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG

Several places also have the towpath side as part of their property. For instance between the bridge and the narrows out side the railway station at Lower Heyford on the South Oxford belongs to Oxfordshire narrowboats opposite their base.

32 minutes ago, nipper said:

Is this right?

Any views?

Nipper

DSC_0162.JPG

DSC_0161.JPG

DSC_0160.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG

Towpath has always been that side though hasn’t it? 

40 minutes ago, nipper said:

Is this right?

Any views?

Nipper

It's the same at Fradley between Junction and Middle Locks, a fee is payable to Kingfisher Caravan park.

Edited by Flyboy

54 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

It's the same at Fradley between Junction and Middle Locks, a fee is payable to Kingfisher Caravan park.

Surely though that section has always been let yo a third party. Its just that the lease is now with Kingfisher. 

Sections of towpath managed by boating businesses has been around for years, For as long as I can remember the Towpath at Braunston between Bottom Lock and the Ladder Bridge has been leased by Union Canal Carriers from BW/C&RT. The one difference is that they are fairly relaxed about private boats mooring overnight if spaces are unoccupied.

Well, I for one won't be stopping there again.

Blisworth marina was a pretty good place to get your fuel, coal and bits of chandlery at that top end of the canal especially during the winter months as The Ashby is not a place with plenty of opportunities to stock up from!

Indeed it was a handy stop to pick up a bus to Blisworth for a bit of shopping and Hinkley too!

Never mind, we seem to be getting less and less for our licence fees nowadays!

A grumpy Nipper

10 minutes ago, reg said:

Spellchecker playing games? 

Oh drat!

You can't even get a proper spell cheker nowadays!?

Nipper

• Haha 1

I’m moored tonight at Newbold, right next to this sign:

C700755B-D81C-4302-BAA2-BD1E2C908487.jpeg

Maybe this should be in the other thread...

Oh, and just along from it is this sign...

I’m actually between the two signs. I’m confused and will happily make an issue of it if I get a bill for £150. 

A270A77D-C025-4B9B-B7A0-F20F28BDBDB9.jpeg

11 hours ago, nipper said:

Well, I for one won't be stopping there again.

Blisworth marina was a pretty good place to get your fuel, coal and bits of chandlery at that top end of the canal especially during the winter months as The Ashby is not a place with plenty of opportunities to stock up from!

Indeed it was a handy stop to pick up a bus to Blisworth for a bit of shopping and Hinkley too!

Never mind, we seem to be getting less and less for our licence fees nowadays!

A grumpy Nipper

I also noticed that sign when I passed through on Sunday, but I also noticed a boater moored just beyond where the signs covered. If mooring there is possible (I didn't try because we are quite deep draughted and have had one or two 'issues' getting in close enough to moor on the Ashby) and free, I'm not sure of the purpose of mooring charges just outside of the marina.

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I’m moored tonight at Newbold, right next to this sign:

Newbold always had the top sign (or an equivalent) by its long term moorings.  The bottom nasty one is obviously a newer addition

29 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Newbold always had the top sign (or an equivalent) by its long term moorings.  The bottom nasty one is obviously a newer addition

Yes, read in conjunction with the another sign the same at the top of the moorings, I can see it is possibly intende to cover the stretch between the two signs. But there is no explanation on either sign to confirm this or to say where the limits of the restrictions lie, hence my concern about whether I can moor here.

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes, read in conjunction with the another sign the same at the top of the moorings, I can see it is possibly intende to cover the stretch between the two signs. But there is no explanation on either sign to confirm this or to say where the limits of the restrictions lie, hence my concern about whether I can moor here.

Would it be reasonable to assume that the limits of the restrictions have been left deliberately vague to both put people off mooring in the area, and also make it easier for DE to try to “fine” people?

8 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Would it be reasonable to assume that the limits of the restrictions have been left deliberately vague to both put people off mooring in the area, and also make it easier for DE to try to “fine” people?

It certainly looks that way.

The text of the notice is riddled with shortcomings. 

1) It doesn't define where the restriction starts and ends

2) The "overstay charge" of £150 for vessels moored "without authorisation" implies there is a period one can legitimately moor for, but doesn't say what it is.

3) It doesn't say how to get "authorisation".

4) It also says mooring is only for "current mooring agreement holders". I'm a current mooring agreement holder, but at another location. Can I moor here?