Rickmansworth Festival

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Hi Peeps. We are approaching Rickmansworth and have been informed its the Shiney boaters play weekend this weekend coming. Just a quick question to those of you who have been before in that is the canal still passable or do we have to get through by say thursday? or hideout say Kings Langley untill after the weekend and then pass through? Thanks as always.

Last time I went there was a widebeam attempting to get through. Having been anounced over the tannoy as 'Fat boat coming' he then panicked and managed to run aground-being pulled off by a tug much to the crowds (and my) amusement. Did feel sorry for him though. 

So answer to your question is..?

• Greenie 1

This is probably the best festival on the waterways with stuff going on for all, not just shiny and hysterical boaters. Passage is easy through the weekend except for when the tug of war is on, I have no doubt ChrisB (formerly Baldock) will give you a warm welcome and the technical run down on your bow thruster and chromed nappy pins

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

This is probably the best festival on the waterways with stuff going on for all, not just shiny and hysterical boaters. Passage is easy through the weekend except for when the tug of war is on, I have no doubt ChrisB (formerly Baldock) will give you a warm welcome and the technical run down on your bow thruster and chromed nappy pins

I dont have a bloomin bow thruster my boat is way too short for such a dreadful piece of kit nor do I use nappy pins :P May moor somewhere away from the masses tho and go in for some beers?

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

ChrisB (formerly Baldock) will give you a warm welcome and the technical run down on your bow thruster and chromed nappy pins

CB (now Josher Hare) fodder.  :)

A few years ago I took Parglena, 60'x11'6" through there on the Saturday of the festival, there was just enough room to pass the moored boats above the river with about a foot either side. Had to wait a few moments whist they cleared the tug of war but it was easy. 

Don't be afraid Chris is really tame. 

9 minutes ago, ChimneyChain said:

Chris is sadly no more . 

Commentator at Ricky tug of war that is. 

I can assure everybody that organisers/commentators at " Events " dont worry me one bit. I just wanted to know if I can get through without scraping a few shiney boats because I would be going through if I needed to :D whatever. Trouble is we have ended up at a crap location, bad timing due to the poxy Trent being in flood but thats a different story. Theres this gathering and some bloke is getting married down at Windsor or somewhere and we have to go through these places. We have now got a plan which involves us mooring up away form either event until the working class have gone back to work after the weekend :cheers:

6 hours ago, ianali said:

I bet you’ll bump into mrsmelly. I reckon he is a happy go lucky party animal, despite him pretending otherwise!

:D  Once upon a time BIG style............but just a boring old phart now ?

14 minutes ago, mark99 said:

All this clap trap. It's a blind. Mr Smelly is being seduced and being sucked into London.   ;)

Moored up near winkwell at moment and got invited to a boaters barby where I have just been sociable for an hour. Theyve all got weird accents but I understood them :D

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Is it safe to come out have you passed Berkhampstead yet? 

Yes...........and it didnt rain, came through there lunchtime today :cheers:

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Moored up near winkwell at moment and got invited to a boaters barby where I have just been sociable for an hour. Theyve all got weird accents but I understood them :D

We moored at Winkwell in the 90's for a couple of years. Is the Three horseshoes still there? Many a drunken night in there!

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

We moored at Winkwell in the 90's for a couple of years. Is the Three horseshoes still there? Many a drunken night in there!

We are at Boxmoor top lock. Only thing here is bloomin trains :blink: