Can I have Advice please ?

Pet

Featured Posts

Hi Pet,

I have just found this thread and am interested to know if you went ahead with purchasing Shilton.

I owned this boat and lived on it for a few years in the 1990s and know a lot about it and it’s history. It was me who brought it to the Medway.

I would be happy to share information and advice, as I had the boat renovated years ago, at which time it was immaculate.

I saw her again about 5 years ago and was heartbroken to see what subsequent owners had done to her, and the dreadful state of disrepair she was in.

I really do hope you took her on and have succeeded in returning her to her former glory.

Best wishes,

Nick

07527 436630

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Rocyn said:

Best wishes,

Nick

It may be better if you (or a Moderator) could amend your phone number to change some of the numbers for 'words' (ie make 7 into seven) this will stop the scanning bots finding your number and selling it on as a 'active phone number' and you being harassed by 'thousands' of scamming calls.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, cisamcgu said:

Here she is, not sure if this is a current advert or not (I'm guessing not), but looks like a serious project !

The advert is, as you suspect, years old. Was modified on  28-Oct-17 at 17:57:52 BST, before the start of this thread, so guessing that this is a similar state to the one in which the OP viewed it. The OP doesn't appear to have been back on the forum in the past four years. Listings on sites like boats-from just scrape ebay etc and never remove the listings. The seller doesn't choose to list on there. Have seen listings on there for boats I bought or sold on ebay years ago. It's just a scraper site that tries to get affiliate fees from the click through to ebay.

2 hours ago, cisamcgu said:

Here she is, not sure if this is a current advert or not (I'm guessing not), but looks like a serious project !

Great find! 

Answers a couple of questions the OP never answered. The stern appears to be a nicely done, proper counter stern conversion in wood, to start with. The engine is a JP2.

The £5,500 price looks about right for a dreamer to bite on...

The seller added some info to the advert on 28th October 2017, so would appear to be a very old advert.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It may be better if you (or a Moderator) could amend your phone number to change some of the numbers for 'words' (ie make 7 into seven) this will stop the scanning bots finding your number and selling it on as a 'active phone number' and you being harassed by 'thousands' of scamming calls.

Do you seriously believe this? Other members, particularly those involved in business, display their telephone numbers in their posts. I wonder how many of them have received "thousands of scamming calls".

Infamy! They've all got it in for me!

11 hours ago, Rocyn said:

Hi Pet,

I have just found this thread and am interested to know if you went ahead with purchasing Shilton.

I owned this boat and lived on it for a few years in the 1990s and know a lot about it and it’s history. It was me who brought it to the Medway.

I suspect not - she joined the forum on 14th May 2018, asked her questions and had several answers, and has not been back since that date. I guess she rather sensibly decided it was going to be too much for her, but I've not Googled the boat itself to see if there anything more recent anywhere. (nor looked on CRT)

Tam

23 minutes ago, Athy said:

Do you seriously believe this? Other members, particularly those involved in business, display their telephone numbers in their posts. I wonder how many of them have received "thousands of scamming calls".

Infamy! They've all got it in for me!

Yes, you really should accept that when it comes to 'tech' you are very naive and not 'worldly wise'

Yes business publish their phone numbers otherwise they could not do business.

Why do you think so few people on here publish their email or contact details ?

Jeremy Clarkson was of a similar mind to you and after being warned about revealing his details he decided to prove the point that no one could acces his bank account without his approval, or steal his identity, so he announced his sort code and bank account number.

The rest is history.

Gobby TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson has been forced to reverse his position after he lost money after publishing his bank account details in a newspaper column.

The Top Gear presenter rather rashly published his account details in a column in The Sun to back up his claims that the child benefit data loss furore, which resulted in the loss of unencrypted CDs containing bank details of 25m people, was a lot of fuss about nothing.

Clarkson published his bank account number and sort code, along with clues to his address, insisting that the worst that could happen was that someone could pay money into his account.

Days later Clarkson was forced to admit he was wrong after an unidentified prankster set up a £500 direct debit from the presenter's account in favour of charity Diabetes UK, the BBC reports.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes, you really should accept that when it comes to 'tech' you are very naive and not 'worldly wise'

Jeremy Clarkson was of a similar mind to you and after being warned about revealing his details he decided to prove the point that no one could acces his bank account without his approval, or steal his identity, so he announced his sort code and bank account number.

The rest is history.

Gobby TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson has been forced to reverse his position after he lost money after publishing his bank account details in a newspaper column.

The Top Gear presenter rather rashly published his account details in a column in The Sun to back up his claims that the child benefit data loss furore, which resulted in the loss of unencrypted CDs containing bank details of 25m people, was a lot of fuss about nothing.

Clarkson published his bank account number and sort code, along with clues to his address, insisting that the worst that could happen was that someone could pay money into his account.

Days later Clarkson was forced to admit he was wrong after an unidentified prankster set up a £500 direct debit from the presenter's account in favour of charity Diabetes UK, the BBC reports.

That example is widely quoted by the uninformed, however The Direct Debit Guarantee means that had he contacted his bank, he could have easily reversed the DD. He chose not to, because he was feeling charitable.

3 minutes ago, Paul C said:

That example is widely quoted by the uninformed, however The Direct Debit Guarantee means that had he contacted his bank, he could have easily reversed the DD. He chose not to, because he was feeling charitable.

Are you deliberately being dense ? That is irrelevant.

It doesn't alter the fact that he thought it impossible and yet it happened - what about the bank details of the 25 million people who had their personal details 'lost' 

Police were called in to search for the two discs, which contained the entire database of child benefit claimants and apparently got lost in the post.

They were posted from HM Revenue and Customs offices in Tyne and Wear, but never turned up at their destination - the National Audit Office.

This is how it started when he said it was a 'fuss about nothing', and he subsequently admitted how wrong he was.

20 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The rest is history.

No, you should accept that I'm just using common sense and that I'm not paranoid, as you appear to be.

The case which you quote is not even remotely comparable, and if it's history, it's a chapter of history which I haven't read..

Millions of people's telephone numbers are in B.T. telephone directories, even though it's possible to choose to be ex-directory or even, a sa friens of mine was, unlisted. I suppose they all receive thousand os scam calls.

Not.

Edited by Athy

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you deliberately being dense ? That is irrelevant.

I could ask the same of you.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It doesn't alter the fact that he thought it impossible and yet it happened - what about the bank details of the 25 million people who had their personal details 'lost' 

Now that IS irrelevant, because its a different issue altogether. Data breaches are an entirely different kettle of fish.

Maybe everyone just needs to take a deep breath and calm down over this telephone reference. I put my number in my post being fully aware of what I was doing and the potential risks involved. Also, for information, it is not possible to edit my post, even if I wanted to - I tried to add to it and there was no edit feature available.

Meanwhile, thanks to the posters who actually replied to the point of my post (ie whether the OP had bought the boat or not).

If anyone does find out more relevant information about the current owner of my old boat please let me know, as I have lots of history and useful information about her.

Regards,

Nick

PS If anyone is interested, here’s a picture of Shilton heading towards Southend-on-Sea during my crossing from the Thames to the Medway.

image.jpg

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Rocyn said:

Maybe everyone just needs to take a deep breath and calm down over this telephone reference. I put my number in my post being fully aware of what I was doing and the potential risks involved. Also, for information, it is not possible to edit my post, even if I wanted to - I tried to add to it and there was no edit feature available.

Meanwhile, thanks to the posters who actually replied to the point of my post (ie whether the OP had bought the boat or not).

If anyone does find out more relevant information about the current owner of my old boat please let me know, as I have lots of history and useful information about her.

Regards,

Nick

PS If anyone is interested, here’s a picture of Shilton heading towards Southend-on-Sea during my crossing from the Thames to the Medway.

For future reference the ability to edit a post 'times out' after a set period from the time when the post you want to edit has been made.

From memory its around 15 mins. After that only a mod. can do it.

5 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

For future reference the ability to edit a post 'times out' after a set period from the time when the post you want to edit has been made.

I think it's an hour, but in principle you're correct. But, as telephone numbers, unlike bank account details, are publicly available information, there is little point in editing them out - especially as, if we did, no one ould contact the O.P. with relevant information.

15 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Which is why I said either the OP or a Mod

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

I think it's an hour, but in principle you're correct. But, as telephone numbers, unlike bank account details, are publicly available information, there is little point in editing them out - especially as, if we did, no one ould contact the O.P. with relevant information.

Which is why I said use the standard internet method of 'spelling' a couple of the numbers in the string.

Example "0 one 21 five 48987 four"

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Which is why I said use the standard internet method of 'spelling' a couple of the numbers in the string.

Do you also talk sense? There's nothing "simple" about making a straightforward telephone number into a riddle. It's an entirely unnecessary complication. If the O.P. didn't want anyone to know his number, he would not have included it.

Mind you, if, as you suggest, your phone uses string instead of the usual wires, it may work differently from most.

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have my mobile number and email address listed on a website with no attempt to disguise them by spelling numbers or similar.

I rarely if ever receive spam emails that I can not work out the cause of i.e. I agreed in error to receive marketing, or I had dealings with a company who don't correctly apply GDPR/Data Protection regs. And I've had maybe 2 nuisance phone calls in the last years, I suppose they could have got my number from the website, but there are other ways.

I also have bank details online, know one has scammed me in 12 years. Yes they could set up a direct debit to an organisation authorised to collect direct debits, but there is no personal gain to be had from that, and I could retrieve the money easily.

The Jeremy Clarkson incident is more about trying to prove him wrong than actually proving that you can successfully steal money from someone with just their name, bank sort code and account number. The data lost by HMRC contained additional data such as addresses and D.O.B. which would have enabled fraudsters to set up credit agreements and similar in other peoples names.

Apologies for contributing to the thread drift.

I see in the advert for "Shilton", she is described accordingly ...

Current Price: 
 £5,500 
Quantity: 1
Condition: Used
Listing Type: Chinese

... Does that mean she leans towards the Far East?

And then later they say ...

Description: The narrow boat shilton is on the river medway and needs a complete refit but would make a great liver board ...

I remember the joke as being a Pizza Take-away and don't think it fits a Chinese.
"Hello, Marco's Pizza"
"Do you deliver?"
"Aye we do, what do you want?"
"Give me a 12" Deep Pan with Liver"
"Liver? We don't do liver, you can have Cheese, Vegetarian, Salami, Chicken."
"Yes you do, I just asked you, and you said you do."

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Barneyp said:

Apologies for contributing to the thread drift.

No need. Topics, like face to face conversations, evolve and drift on to new subjects. 

But your courtesy is appreciated.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

But, as telephone numbers, unlike bank account details, are publicly available information,

I think not. 

Only BT numbers appear in phone directories, and then only if you can find one. I've not seen a real life phone directory for a couple of decades now. 

Or do you hold that printed mobile phone directories exist?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And every password security article I read tells me the internet bots are more than capable of seeing through that ruse, so I assume the phone number harvesting bots can do the same.

18 hours ago, Barneyp said:

I have my mobile number and email address listed on a website with no attempt to disguise them by spelling numbers or similar.

I rarely if ever receive spam emails that I can not work out the cause of i.e. I agreed in error to receive marketing, or I had dealings with a company who don't correctly apply GDPR/Data Protection regs. And I've had maybe 2 nuisance phone calls in the last years, I suppose they could have got my number from the website, but there are other ways.

That is the opposite to me. My email constantly receives a whole raft of "invoice overdue" and "we can improve your Google rating" emails as well as offers of "Raybans" and properties to invest it, oh and the invitations to pay for various events. Just as many that get into my in box are automatically sent to my spam box. Spam phone calls are not so bad, but they do seem to come in waves, sometimes a few a day and sometimes every second day.

Many seem to be the result of downloading holiday brochures from a totally different company to the spamming one and using the "unsubscribe" link seems to do the opposite and just gets you more.

The number of apparent businesses using Gmail addresses seems to prove to me that the "free" email providers are not doing enough to police their users. They need gripping by legislation. This is why  think any numbers about fraud/attempted fraud are a gross underestimate, I think there are millions of attempted frauds every day.

• Greenie 3