From inside Braunston Tunnel

GRLMK38

Featured Posts

Best not mention the lack of definition and focus.

It's well composed agreed but spoiled by the lack of use of what little available light there is. It  also looks like its been taken at the far end of a zoom lens not held steady.

Edited by MJG

5 hours ago, MJG said:

It's well composed agreed but spoiled by the lack of use of what little available light there is. It  also looks like its been taken at the far end of a zoom lens not held steady.

The lack of definition is most likely to be the fact that this image was downsized to be uploaded to Facebook and is displayed in large format in this post.  

• Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

The lack of definition is most likely to be the fact that this image was downsized to be uploaded to Facebook and is displayed in large format in this post.  

Take no notice - he sold his boat for a caravan... 

;)

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, MJG said:

1 hour ago, GRLMK38 said:

For once I have to agree with MJG. I doubt if downsizing has anything to do with it. For sharpness or focus it is a very difficult shot. Before the ventilation shaft it was totally dark. Then you get a bit of light. Assuming a 50mm at say f2, can't go bigger as no light, so a  poor dof ( depth of field). Shutter speed would also be down at say 1/10 so avoiding shutter shake is very difficult. Finally, even on the most expensive DSLRs these days, there can be a lag in the autofocus in very dark conditions and in the panic of taking the shot, the shooter

may miss the intended target.

edit to add.

be interested to know if this was one off or whether the shot was planned. Doing a rapid burst of 10 shots may have sorted a focus issue and a tripod may sort the camera shake.

Good image though for non picky people!

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

Lovely - is that one of CRT esteemed visionaries, with a shovel,  looking for a way out?  I'd like to see the one of the light at the end of the tunnel ............ 

Looks like Tim Carter from Dodford - caption reads "What the bloody hell do you have to do to please some people....."

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Looks like Tim Carter from Dodford - caption reads "What the bloody hell do you have to do to please some people....."

Agreed - I have never seen anything similar so my post was about the "art" rather than f this, 35mm that, my giga pixels are bigger than your mega pixels, 1 stop here, 1/2 stop there and uv filter just in case and oh, now what did I do with the tripod?

More than happy to see how it should be done from the more expert photographers amongst us?  Does anyone have any shots from inside the tunnel to compare this one to?

10 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

Agreed - I have never seen anything similar so my post was about the "art" rather than f this, 35mm that, my giga pixels are bigger than your mega pixels, 1 stop here, 1/2 stop there and uv filter just in case and oh, now what did I do with the tripod?

More than happy to see how it should be done from the more expert photographers amongst us?  Does anyone have any shots from inside the tunnel to compare this one to?

Totally agree, so many 'experts ' on here that know better than anyone else, ' what is an expert? X marks the spot & spert a bit more than a drip' does it really matter the technical side of the picture, get a life some of you. I enjoyed it. Let's have some more from ordinary folk.

Edited by Guest
Spelling

36 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I agree it ooks like Tim, but if taken yesterday, I rather doubt it is.

Apart from being unaware of any strong connection between him and Friends of Raymond, I also note William is here at Stoke Bruerne, and I imagine he was steering that yesterday, and not at Braunston.

If it was me, I would have my brolly up. Water usually pours down the shafts.

....and for the camera buffs - if it really matters to compose the shot to get exposure, focus and definition right, why not stop the boat for a few seconds or so.

5 hours ago, oats said:

Totally agree, so many 'experts ' on here that know better than anyone else, ' what is an expert? X marks the spot & spert a bit more than a drip' does it really matter the technical side of the picture, get a life some of you. I enjoyed it. Let's have some more from ordinary folk.

The thing is when you put a picture up on here you expose it (No pun intended) to potential criticism as well as positive comments - it's the way of a forum. If you only want to receive oooohs and ahhhhs 'that's amazing' type comments then a public internet forum is perhaps not the best place to publish a picture.

Edited by MJG

Just now, Nightwatch said:

I don't like to look up the air vents in case a big monsters hand reaches down and takes me away to somewhere not nice.

just saying!

Aarrrgghh! The Coghlasaurus!