Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Paul HD

Cruiser style boat

Featured Posts

Is a helm on the port side more common than the starboard side and if so is there any reason to explain it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jocave said:

Thank you jocave. That first picture looks amazing, very tidy looking boat. 

 

Looking very closely at this boat I have just realised that you lose the outdoor seating behind helmsman chair.

 

I love the profile look of this style but I must have seating in the outdoor area. So I think it will have to be a rear cockpit style

Edited by Paul HD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, David Mack said:

I would prefer something like this:

telegraph_9.jpg

How would the horse respond to that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MartynG said:

Is a helm on the port side more common than the starboard side and if so is there any reason to explain it?

Its the side you pass other boats on .... port to port, so particularly on a narrow section you know if you have space to pass an oncoming boat ... used to be a sailing thing to avoid collisions ... red to red go straight ahead 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/05/2018 at 09:50, sal garfi said:

I have a Norman 22 (with outboard), and I'm very pleased with her. We're even going to take her on a considerrable journey in September: from Sawley to Maesbury Marsh (via the Trent & Mersey, the Staffs & Worcester, the Shroppie, and then the Llangollen to the Monty) to what will be her new home.

 

Anyway, the slightly larger Norman 23 can be found for sale relatively often. They are venerable and robust!

Hi,

I must say I like the look of the Norman. I am going to keep a look out for a Norman 23 or 24.

 

Many thanks

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Normans, like Nauticuses and Freemans, have a nice retro look, though the latter two are far classier. Saying that, there's another retro boat that's also quite fine. It has a sliding canopy and there's someone here on the forum who has one. I can't recall what it is but it's a really pukka boat. There used to be one on my jetty at Sawley called 'Galadriel'. A very nice boat indeed.

 

By the way, there are also old style Norman 27s and 32s, with central cockpits, and they're very nice - quite!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are looking for canal use watch the beam. Some of the Freemans were a shade over 7ft wide which will be no good for canal use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sal garfi said:

Yes, Normans, like Nauticuses and Freemans, have a nice retro look, though the latter two are far classier. Saying that, there's another retro boat that's also quite fine. It has a sliding canopy and there's someone here on the forum who has one. I can't recall what it is but it's a really pukka boat. There used to be one on my jetty at Sawley called 'Galadriel'. A very nice boat indeed.

 

By the way, there are also old style Norman 27s and 32s, with central cockpits, and they're very nice - quite!

The trentcrafts have a sliding canopy with remote steering in the front cabin, the nauticus is a very well made boat, the hull moulds were used to make the earlier vikings ... the other well made and vastly popular cruisers are the dawncrafts , which can be bought for very reasonable money.

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, sal garfi said:

Yes, Normans, like Nauticuses and Freemans, have a nice retro look, though the latter two are far classier. Saying that, there's another retro boat that's also quite fine. It has a sliding canopy and there's someone here on the forum who has one. I can't recall what it is but it's a really pukka boat. There used to be one on my jetty at Sawley called 'Galadriel'. A very nice boat indeed.

 

By the way, there are also old style Norman 27s and 32s, with central cockpits, and they're very nice - quite!

Thanks sal Garfi,

The Nauticus looks great.

21 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

If you are looking for canal use watch the beam. Some of the Freemans were a shade over 7ft wide which will be no good for canal use.

It will be for canal use, so that is good to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/05/2018 at 17:35, dccruiser said:

Its the side you pass other boats on .... port to port, so particularly on a narrow section you know if you have space to pass an oncoming boat ... used to be a sailing thing to avoid collisions ... red to red go straight ahead 

Yes. But I think historically  Starboard comes from the words Steering Board and the steering board was always on the right...... before my time of course.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Steering Board and the steering board was always on the right...... before my time of course.

Really ?

C'mon tell the truth now !!

 

260px-Tapisserie_bato1.jpg
 
From the Bayeux Tapestry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made an enquiry on a Nauticus that was up for sale. Unfortunately it has already been sold. These things don't hang around too long.

 

Anyway. Does anyone here own or have owned a Classic 27 Stourport?  Would be good to hear your views.

 

Many Thanks

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/05/2018 at 13:14, Alan de Enfield said:

Really ?

C'mon tell the truth now !!

 

260px-Tapisserie_bato1.jpg
 
From the Bayeux Tapestry

But that is Jonny Foreigner isn't it. they even drive on the wrong side

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/05/2018 at 13:10, MartynG said:

Yes. But I think historically  Starboard comes from the words Steering Board and the steering board was always on the right...... before my time of course.

 

The steering oar was on the right, as most people are right handed. From Norse, steyrbord via old English steorbord to Starboard, "bord" being the side of the ship.

"Port" was originally "Larboard", from  Norse hladabord to ladeboard, being the side the ship was loaded from. With the steering oar on the right hand side, the left side was put alongside a quay to avoid an expensive crunch as the steering oar was wiped out. "Port" was adopted in 1844 in the Royal Navy, followed by the U.S. in 1846, as "Larboard" sounded too similar to "starboard". The term larboard was still used for several years after that in merchant fleets. In Europe, "Backboard" (German "Backbord, French "Bâbord") was used, derived from Norse Bakbord, which was the side to which the steerer originally had his back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/05/2018 at 21:06, Paul HD said:

I made an enquiry on a Nauticus that was up for sale. Unfortunately it has already been sold. These things don't hang around too long.

Well your timing is good - I have just put mine up for sale!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Well your timing is good - I have just put mine up for sale!

 

 

Hi Pete,

 

I have been in email contact with you today. I spoke to Tony. I will contact you on email.

 

All the best,

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/05/2018 at 08:52, Neil2 said:

Given that there must be a lot of (narrow) grp cruisers still about, and that they are still being made, it begs the question where are they all?  We average about 500 hours a year cruising all over the network and I have seen maybe half a dozen grp cruisers in the last year.   They can't all have moved to the Lancaster canal. 

They may have run out of petrol as no one seems to know where to find it on the rivers and canals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/05/2018 at 09:50, sal garfi said:

I have a Norman 22 (with outboard), and I'm very pleased with her. 

Hi,

 

What size and make of outboard do you use?

 

Cheers,

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.