Cruiser style boat

Paul HD

Featured Posts

My neighbour in the marina is currently removing the Perkins from his Nauticus 27 and fitting a homemade outboard bracket to mount a new Honda outboard he has purchased, he wants quiet cruising and the Perkins certainly doesn't give him that, when W+T came down to do some work on my boat the guy reckoned it would be done in 4 weeks ,that was about 10 weeks ago and it still has the Enfield poking out the back so a bit bigger job than he maybe first thought but still doable if you really wanted to...

17 hours ago, Paul HD said:

Correct. The 22 had an outboard. I have read that there are a few 27s with outboard but I suppose they were added by the owners.

I will be viewing another diesel inboard and petrol inboard next weekend if they are still available. Maybe they will be quieter than the one I have seen?? If not, it has to be an outboard. 

Would be great to hear from any other Nauticus owners that may have gone with an outboard on a 27.

Cheers

Paul

Check the exhaust systems. It could be that the ones you are looking at can be modified to silence them a little better.

Though I don't ever remember coming across a quiet Nauticus as the exhausts are out of the water.

6 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Check the exhaust systems. It could be that the ones you are looking at can be modified to silence them a little better.

Though I don't ever remember coming across a quiet Nauticus as the exhausts are out of the water.

could fit a hospital silencer.

Neil

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I called a guy yesterday who is selling a Nauticus with petrol inboard. Whilst on the phone he started it and I could barely hear it running. Of course I am not going to buy without viewing but what a difference in noise levels.

I will be viewing another Diesel inboard on Sunday which is a Perkins but I have a feeling that it will be Petrol for me.

Cheers,

Paul

Many years ago i looked at a cruiser with a Perkins in it, nearest thing i have ever come to experiencing an earthquake. I bought a Seamaster with a petrol inboard half an hour later. Finding fuel is just a bit of planning and a smartphone app, peaceful cruising though.

9 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Many years ago i looked at a cruiser with a Perkins in it, nearest thing i have ever come to experiencing an earthquake. I bought a Seamaster with a petrol inboard half an hour later. Finding fuel is just a bit of planning and a smartphone app, peaceful cruising though.

Hi Mike,

The Perkins owner has already said that it is a wee bit loud in the cockpit area.

From the pics that I have seen I would like the Perkins Nauticus with the petrol motor. 

Like you say, with a bit of planning I will have no problem with petrol. 

• Happy 1

On 31/05/2018 at 10:05, Paul HD said:

Hi Mike,

The Perkins owner has already said that it is a wee bit loud in the cockpit area.

From the pics that I have seen I would like the Perkins Nauticus with the petrol motor. 

Like you say, with a bit of planning I will have no problem with petrol. 

Famous last words!

Personally we would never buy a petrol powered boat due to the lack of waterside fuel availability. But each to their own I suppose.

If you do go down the petrol route be very careful when refuelling. There have been a number of fuel related fires in recent years.

12 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

If you do go down the petrol route be very careful when refuelling. There have been a number of fuel related fires in recent years.

NC Knows it well - Burton Waters last year  two boats destroyed :

It is believed the fire started accidentally after a visiting boat – a Freedom 22 – had just refuelled at the marina’s fuel pump. It is thought a carburettor of the motor yacht backfired and ignited fuel vapour.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

NC Knows it well - Burton Waters last year :

Yes. We had a very lucky escape that day. We were on our way to get fuel ourselves.  Had we finished cleaning the boat five minutes earlier NC would have been on the fuel berth as well!

18 minutes ago, Paul HD said:

Do you have petrol pumps at that marina?

Yes

There are a 'few' marinas on the Rivers that provide petrol -  Cruisers are a common sight on the Rivers and there are still a few that are petrol powered - very different from the Canals where petrol is generally unavailable and petrol boats are in a very, very, small minority.

We are on the Trent and both Farndon & Newark Marinas offer petrol & diesel.

Kings marina is diesel only

When you get onto the Foss Dyke / Witham the Burton waters has both Petrol & Diesel, Langrick Bridge has a 'petrol station' alongside the river and they have a very long diesel hose that reaches down to the pontoon. Petrol is available but I think it would be a case of fill cans and take to boat. I don't think they have a long hose on the petrol (but never asked).

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Barton is a marina on the T&M

Burton is a marina on the Fossdyke (Lincoln)

Make sure you go to the correct one.

I do have a post code, but you are totally right, it is Burton waters and not Barton as I mentioned above.?

Petrol boats tend to be a little cheaper but I would go with diesel every time.

If you are not concerned to go fast his looks like a very nice older boat that has been well used and cherished

https://www.farndonmarina.co.uk/brokerage/boat-listings/127-princess-33-mk1-november-girl-ii

PS it may be too big for your requirements

Edited by MartynG

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Petrol boats tend to be a little cheaper but I would go with diesel every time.

If you are not concerned to go fast his looks like a very nice older boat that has been well used and cherished

https://www.farndonmarina.co.uk/brokerage/boat-listings/127-princess-33-mk1-november-girl-ii

PS it may be too big for your requirements

With an 11' 3" beam it depends where the OP wants to use it, and with a sea-toilet only - a 'canal boat' it aint !

(Post number 1 asks for 6' 11" beam cruiser)

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

Now that is quiet.

Hi Mike.

It is just what I wanted. When it is in neutral you do have to look at the rev counter to see if it is still running.

I must admit I thought it would be a bit louder considering it must be getting on in years.

regards,

Paul.

• Happy 1

That looks remarkably clean ,guess it was out of the water for a clean and antifouling not so long ago, mine has been in two years now and has a nice covering of green grot, bet you can't wait to have it delivered now , should hopefully still have a few month's of nice cruising weather to enjoy it...

1 hour ago, jocave said:

That looks remarkably clean ,guess it was out of the water for a clean and antifouling not so long ago, mine has been in two years now and has a nice covering of green grot, bet you can't wait to have it delivered now , should hopefully still have a few month's of nice cruising weather to enjoy it...

It was amazingly clean and you are probably right about it being done recently. 

I am looking forward to it arriving next Tuesday. I will have an 1 1/2 journey from the slip to the marina and I will definitely get out on the weekends.

• Happy 1