Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Paul HD

Cruiser style boat

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Is it possible to get a cruiser style boat in 6' 10" width? If it is could you let me know what make of boat to look out for.

 

All the best,

Paul

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If by this you mean a grp cruiser as opposed to a "cruiser deck" narrowboat the answer is yes.  

 

BITD grp boats ruled on the canals and there were offerings from long established companies like Freeman and Shetland, alongside caravan manufacturers eg Creighton who fancied a piece of the action.

 

But they are a rare sight on today's canals.  If you see one it will probably be a Nauticus 27 or a Viking or Norman, something that was intended for an outboard motor or inboard diesel.  Very few buyers will tolerate an inboard petrol engine these days.    

 

FWIW  I think the Shetland Speedwell is a cracking little boat which you could probably get for under £3k.

 

I think Atlanta, for one, still make narrow beam grp cruisers..?  though not sure who they are aimed at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes - you can get narrow cruisers, here is one moored next to us.

 

It just shows that the difference in 'size' is more than just width.

The 'narrowboat' is 30 foot we are 35 foot so similar lengths but there is a huge difference in 'living space'

 

 

CAM00020.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a great little Norman 20, was a wonderful little boat.

Not sure if there will be any Waltons knocking around, we had one of those, although oak on elm, but built in the 50's I think. Mid cockpit and lister 2, manual gearbox, huge handle to shift it with. Good cabin sizes, one you could use as a bedroom, other for general, centre had wood frame screen and cover. With a solid fuel stove it was very cosy.

Edited by 70liveaboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of narrowbeam GRP cruisers on the go and still being made.

 

Viking make a great range of narrowbeam boats. The 26 centre cockpit is not a bad layout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that there must be a lot of (narrow) grp cruisers still about, and that they are still being made, it begs the question where are they all?  We average about 500 hours a year cruising all over the network and I have seen maybe half a dozen grp cruisers in the last year.   They can't all have moved to the Lancaster canal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the replies. Much appreciated. I can now start the search. I like the look of that Viking in the second post but I would prefer an inboard diesel. Can they be very loud in an older boat?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://bwml.co.uk/brokerage/sm-9527-time-out/

Viking with an inboard diesel, just buy a decent pair of ear plugs or buy the first one linked and cruise around in near silence...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Paul HD said:

Thank you all for the replies. Much appreciated. I can now start the search. I like the look of that Viking in the second post but I would prefer an inboard diesel. Can they be very loud in an older boat?

 

 

 

There are an awful lot of boats on the Thames with composite hulls and small diesels, so an answer must be predicated with "it all depends".

It's nothing to do with age more a matter of lack of good sound insulation and attached to that comment good ventilation - both of which are lacking in older boats - so budget for an urgent upgrade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Given that there must be a lot of (narrow) grp cruisers still about, and that they are still being made, it begs the question where are they all?  We average about 500 hours a year cruising all over the network and I have seen maybe half a dozen grp cruisers in the last year.   They can't all have moved to the Lancaster canal. 

Loads on the northern waterways. 

8 hours ago, Paul HD said:

Thank you all for the replies. Much appreciated. I can now start the search. I like the look of that Viking in the second post but I would prefer an inboard diesel. Can they be very loud in an older boat?

 

 

 

Depends on the exhaust system. Some are very loud, others not so loud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jocave said:

https://bwml.co.uk/brokerage/sm-9527-time-out/

Viking with an inboard diesel, just buy a decent pair of ear plugs or buy the first one linked and cruise around in near silence...

That looks very nice. 

The first link looks like that boat has gone. They don't hang around too long. 

 

Thanks for the advice.

 

Regards

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Given that there must be a lot of (narrow) grp cruisers still about, and that they are still being made, it begs the question where are they all?  We average about 500 hours a year cruising all over the network and I have seen maybe half a dozen grp cruisers in the last year.   They can't all have moved to the Lancaster canal. 

That surprises me: when bringing Lutine down I saw loads, although I think from memory the ratio varied from only a few to quite a large percentage - grp was more popular near Oxford than around Fenny Compton for example. Maybe I just noticed them more because "my other boat is a tupperware" ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jocave said:

That looks a very tidy boat for the price.

Well equipped - even central heating (lovely to lie in bed and press the button - get up half an hour later to a lovely warm boat)

 

You wouldn't get even a wreck of a steel NB for that money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a Dawncraft 32 foot years ago with a bmc  1.5, had some great holidays in her but don't see many left now.

 

Neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Norman 22 (with outboard), and I'm very pleased with her. We're even going to take her on a considerrable journey in September: from Sawley to Maesbury Marsh (via the Trent & Mersey, the Staffs & Worcester, the Shroppie, and then the Llangollen to the Monty) to what will be her new home.

 

Anyway, the slightly larger Norman 23 can be found for sale relatively often. They are venerable and robust!

Edited by sal garfi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul HD said:

Thanks for the link. That interior looks great. 

 

Is it more comfortable to have the steering on the left? For me it feels that it would be as you are passing on the right.

Many cruisers have the helm on the starboard side, as does my own .

The engine control is then safely out of the way - assuming a right handed location for the control.

In a give way situation (at sea) a helm on the starboard side potentially better ensures an unobstructed view to starboard (you give way to vessels approaching from starboard). Not liable to be a problem on a canal.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paul HD said:

Thanks for the link. That interior looks great. 

 

Is it more comfortable to have the steering on the left? For me it feels that it would be as you are passing on the right.

I am trying to remember back over the years, and I think every cruiser I have had has had the helm on the Port side (left), except a couple of small 'trailer' boats (a Beneteau and a Bayliner)

 

Having the throttles on the RH side is not a problem as they are located on the helm in front of you.

 

Current helm and throttles position :

 

 

 

Versatility-35-13.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I am trying to remember back over the years, and I think every cruiser I have had has had the helm on the Port side (left), except a couple of small 'trailer' boats (a Beneteau and a Bayliner)

 

Having the throttles on the RH side is not a problem as they are located on the helm in front of you.

 

Current helm and throttles position :

 

 

 

Versatility-35-13.jpg

Those throttles look great. that would be the style I would like, but just the one. :-))

 

Thanks guys for the input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our current boat has the helm on the starboard side.

 

All of the boats we have hired have the helm on the port side.

 

It isn't a problem switching from one to the other. Even with the helm on the port side the throttles are usually set to be a the skippers right hand as in Alan's pictures above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Our current boat has the helm on the starboard side.

 

All of the boats we have hired have the helm on the port side.

 

It isn't a problem switching from one to the other. Even with the helm on the port side the throttles are usually set to be a the skippers right hand as in Alan's pictures above.

Thank you NC.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Paul HD said:

Those throttles look great. that would be the style I would like, but just the one. :-))

I would prefer something like this:

telegraph_9.jpg

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.