Boating to Ironbridge

cherswud

Featured Posts

I am currently reading a novel by Elizabeth George which features Ironbridge and has awakened my interest in going there again - last went by car in the heatwave of 1990 with our kids.

This time, now we have one, I am thinking about whether it is possible to get to Ironbridge by narrowboat. I see it is on The Severn and I've looked on canalplan.org but I don't know enough of the boatie waypoints to be able to find whether it is navigable.

Can anyone help with information please?

Cheers and thanks, Marilyn

Edited by cherswud
typo

The Severn is only navigable to Stourport, there have been attempts to get further in recent years but I don't think there were very successful. It isn't navigable to Ironbridge in a narrowboat.

Thanks, Dave. Looks like it's going to be a car trip again! Maybe we can get nb Waka Huia within cooee on another waterway and then hire and drive.

Shame though - I was getting quite excited about it.

Cheers, Marilyn

3 hours ago, Rob-M said:

The Severn is only navigable to Stourport, there have been attempts to get further in recent years but I don't think there were very successful. It isn't navigable to Ironbridge in a narrowboat.

You can get a bit further up than Stourport.  But last time I went to go up there turned out to be the day of Stourport Regatta and the river was full of rowing eights, so we couldn't really try it.☹️

I seem to remember reading about a sandbank upstream of Stouort that causes problems. The river has several patches of rapids near Ironbridge: many years ago on a cycle ride from Ironbridge to Bridgnorth we went past several stretches that were clearly unnavigable. In times of high flow there is probably enough water all the way to Shrewsbury, but there is no way I would try it in anything bigger than a very powerful RIB. I clearly remember the river when in flood at the foot of our garden, flowing at a fast running pace and looking very dangerous.

You can go boating at Ironbridge and if you pick the right day, even in, or is that on, a coracle.

Thank you - that sounds like a plan! And maybe one we can accomplish with two grandsons in tow ...

Not so sure about the coracle though - I rather like being able to steer craft without going in circles!

Cheers, Marilyn

There's a shoal just before the Bewdley bypass bridge, at Blackstone Rock. You might be able to get that far but you won't get above that in a narrowboat unless the river is well up, at which point you have the current to contend with!

Getting there via the Severn Valley Railway is a lovely idea. Alternative is train from Birmingham/Wolverhampton to Telford, then bus to Ironbridge.

• 4 weeks later...

About 25 to 30 years ago someone navigated the Severn up to Ironbridge, and maybe Shrewsbury, in a powerful Seamaster 27 cruiser when river levels were high.

I think it was reported in an article in Waterways World at the time. However no doubt shoals have changed in that time and it may not be possible now...or at least advisable.

My plan to boat there has been abandoned and we'll either do public transport for the adventure, or hire a car and drive.

That all depends of course on whether I can get a mortgage to pay for the entrance fees to the place itself ...

What the ..... are they doing to the bridge? 

If the sheeting wasn’t there you would have been able to see my old house down on the bank to the left, with the orchard. Many happy times there with my first wife. Sunday mornings explaining to tourists why we preferred them not to wander into the garden to take pictures of the bridge did get a bit wearing though.

I can imagine that Ironbridge must be tricky but how hard would it be to get the river navigable up to Bewdley?  It's a nice town and I would think that having boats come and go would be good for the town's tourism etc.  If all it would take is to dredge the shoal every couple of years, then surely the town council could budget for that?  It seems such a shame to see the mooring rings there unused.

36 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

What the ..... are they doing to the bridge? 

If the sheeting wasn’t there you would have been able to see my old house down on the bank to the left, with the orchard. Many happy times there with my first wife. Sunday mornings explaining to tourists why we preferred them not to wander into the garden to take pictures of the bridge did get a bit wearing though.

They are completely renovating it - new ironwork where required, full repaint (colour not yet decided).  Basically you can't see anything except for a couple of view holes.  The car park next to it is currently free though.

Edited by Psycloud
typo

Its navigable - kind of. Hire a Canadian canoe from Ironbridge and canoe to Bridgnorth, very beautiful and if they are still doing the combined rail and river ticket you can then go from B'north to Arley(?) and back on the train. Can't be navigated by anything bigger than a small boat though. Both nice trips.