Wireless Router with decent aerial & battery?

rusty69

Featured Posts

As per title. Does such a beast exist. I am preferably after a battery powered router, such as a mifi, but one which has a good aerial connection like the Teltonika RUT?

My current huawei e5776 is showing signs of failing (battery not charging). It lives in a porthole, and is susceptible to overheating. Budget, up to 100 quid.

Alternatively, a small router that can be charged from an external battery may surfice.

Thanking you

Edited to add , must be 4g and by aerial, I mean an external type.

Edited by rusty69
To add a bit

Assume you want a 4g router?

I’ve got an e8732 - doesn’t have its own battery, so just plug into a separate usb battery and works well for me. However, one issue with usb batteries is that they don’t see enough current draw when the unit is first connected (and so switch off) so I have to plug something else in as well (battery has two outputs). Once ‘on’ I can remove the second device. Have fitted an aerial on board, and will just plug into usb socket - but not yet tried it out.

8 minutes ago, boots said:

Have fitted an aerial on board, and will just plug into usb socket - but not yet tried it out.

Where does the aeriel plug in if the battery is connected? Sorry, being a bit thick here.

The unit itself just plugs into a standard usb socket (for power)  and there are 2 aerial sockets on the side..

1C99EE08-C782-4B10-ACBE-57FFCB6887F4.jpeg

D6C47C7E-EF88-4430-B580-E0F42E874867.jpeg

Edited by boots
Added pics
  • Happy 1

20 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Where does the aeriel plug in if the battery is connected? Sorry, being a bit thick here.

Oh no you're not - you have to delve around quite a bit to find which models have aerial sockets and which not. The E-5372, being 4G has two sockets 'hidden' under little covers as Boots (beaten me to it) to which you can plug one or two leads to an aerial like this one -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35dBi-4G-LTE-Antenna-TS9-Signal-Amplifier-for-HUAWEI-E392-E397-E398-E3276-E5372/171538378431?hash=item27f07beebf:g:TEIAAOSwNkJaPcQT 

but they aren't waterproof.

Instead look for a magnetic whip aerial with a TS9 plug such as this type -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antenna-With-Sma-Y-Type-2-Female-To-Ts9-Male-Rg316-15Cm-Cable-With-Magnetic-Base/273197493733?hash=item3f9bd6ede5:g:koUAAOSwdQda7z2r

but they look a bit flimsy. Took me ages to find a half decent one....

2 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Oh no you're not - you have to delve around quite a bit to find which models have aerial sockets and which not. The E-5372, being 4G has two sockets 'hidden' under little covers as Boots (beaten me to it) to which you can plug one or two leads to an aerial like this one -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35dBi-4G-LTE-Antenna-TS9-Signal-Amplifier-for-HUAWEI-E392-E397-E398-E3276-E5372/171538378431?hash=item27f07beebf:g:TEIAAOSwNkJaPcQT 

but they aren't waterproof.

Instead look for a magnetic whip aerial with a TS9 plug such as this type -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antenna-With-Sma-Y-Type-2-Female-To-Ts9-Male-Rg316-15Cm-Cable-With-Magnetic-Base/273197493733?hash=item3f9bd6ede5:g:koUAAOSwdQda7z2r

but they look a bit flimsy. Took me ages to find a half decent one....

Thanks old goat, having suffered with ts9 and crc9 before (I think my current e5776 has one).

I feel they are a bit flimsy,so would prefer something like the SMA or better connections  found on the Teltonika, but also allowing the portability of a MIFI with built in battery.

Perhaps I am asking too much?

14 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Thanks old goat, having suffered with ts9 and crc9 before (I think my current e5776 has one).

I feel they are a bit flimsy,so would prefer something like the SMA or better connections  found on the Teltonika, but also allowing the portability of a MIFI with built in battery.

Perhaps I am asking too much?

Absolutely!! - you're trying to be sensible and practical - and that doesn't fit with current trends which are style over substance....

A more reasonable explanation is -

The target market is for countries and locations that have good to excellent signal strength where people live / exist. If you don't live in a city / high density population area - you don't get a good signal, but then there aren't many of you - sales wise so you don't matter anyway. Not many of the mifi devices have an aerial socket - reinforcing my argument. What is important to the market is 'compactness' - so a large SMA socket doesn't fit in with that. SMA is an obsolescent type of plug and socket anyway. You can get adaptors, but they are relatively expensive and not terribly available, so you have to hunt around (probably buy from China / HK and wait for extended delivery).   

• Happy 1

We have a Huawei E5577.  It is fast with a reasonable battery life and twin external aerial ports.  We stick a magnetic aerial on the roof and pass the cable through a mushroom vent down to the galley worktop so that the router can stay permanently connected avoiding any damage or wear to the aerial connector.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Have gone for the Teltonika RUT 955 with the hope of a sturdier aeriel connector

Thanks for all the comments

My RUT955 is working great guns in Lower Heyford. Very strong signals all the way down the north and south oxford.

• Happy 1

9 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

My RUT955 is working great guns in Lower Heyford. Very strong signals all the way down the north and south oxford.

Really?! What service provider are you using? Lower Heyford used to be one of those internet dead spots on the cut where no-one could get even the faintest whisper of a signal!

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Really?! What service provider are you using? Lower Heyford used to be one of those internet dead spots on the cut where no-one could get even the faintest whisper of a signal!

Bet he's on EE eeeeejut! 

• Happy 1

Yep, EE. We are 100 yards south of the water point so in the open a bit. 3 lights on the router rather than the 4 we always see, so not quite as strong as normal, but seeems to be working fine. The antenna is 4ft off the roof.

21 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

The antenna is 4ft off the roof.

Next on my shopping list is aerial. 

I bid on one on ebay yesterday. Sold for 72 quid (new but private seller). A new one with warranty sells for £71.87. The world has gone mad! 

Edited by rusty69
Aerial, not aeriel (she's a mermaid)

Two years ago I fitted this on our boat.(link to original topic)

Thus far, the system has been great, with very few places if any that we have not had internet. Technology marches on apace I know, but it still works for us.

5 minutes ago, johnmck said:

Two years ago I fitted this on our boat.(link to original topic)

Thus far, the system has been great, with very few places if any that we have not had internet. Technology marches on apace I know, but it still works for us.

The mifi's are definitely a good option. 

The best budget solution so far in my 20 years of trying to get Internet onboard. They are, however, let down by the flimsy external aerial connections. 

I used to have a linksys wrt54g3g router which would take a pcmcia card, and then later would except a usb dongle. All suffered with rubbish external aerial connectors. 

Just now, Dr Bob said:

Soap powder will be messy on the roof. Not recommended. I would buy an antenna.

Fairynuff, Daz a bold suggestion. 

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I bid on one on ebay yesterday. Sold for 72 quid (new but private seller). A new one with warranty sells for £71.87.

I’ve had that happen with various items over the years. With 2nd hand goods in good condition I usually reckon that 75% of the new price is reasonable, stick that in as my max bid and forget about it. The number of times I then see that the item sold for 105% of the new price is truly surprising. 

Just now, WotEver said:

I’ve had that happen with various items over the years. With 2nd hand goods in good condition I usually reckon that 75% of the new price is reasonable, stick that in as my max bid and forget about it. The number of times I then see that the item sold for 105% of the new price is truly surprising. 

My top bid was £55, which I thought was generous. 

I've noticed a lot of bidders with low feedback for routers - in particular - bid well 'over the top' and 'win' the item only not to pay. The seller then relists the item 'due to time waster' and the item subsequently goes for a more sensible price.

It defeats me why folks do this in the first place as the full details are never given.

I received my Teltonika rut 955 in the post today.

A couple of queries. As I wish to run it from the boats power supply, I need to source a new connector. Any one know the name, or where I can get one please. See pic (its the male bit I need).

Secondly. The setting are all lost when the power is removed. Is this normal for a router? I thought they should retain the settings.

Thanks

P1050599.JPG

P1050597.JPG