Re oil change > disposing of drained oil

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

Wondering if anyone knows of a list of places that will take 'used' engine oil? 

In the past a couple of 'kind' marinas have taken the oil, and on one occasion we managed to find a canal-side recycling centre which accepted it.

Our boat's coming up for an oil change, and we're still cruising with spent oil from it's last oil change.

We're presently on the Sth Oxford, cruising towards Braunston.

Thank you 'muchly' for any advice!

10 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

In the past a couple of 'kind' marinas have taken the oil, and on one occasion we managed to find a canal-side recycling centre which accepted it.

Our boat's coming up for an oil change, and we're still cruising with spent oil from it's last oil change.

You could continue up to Coventry and try to meet up with the Oil-Boat. You could ring him  to see if the timing is right. 

http://oilboat.co.uk/traderoute.htm

11 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We usually get rid of ours at our marina. They charge £3 for dWe'isposal regardless of the quantity so we wait until we have done two oil changes which is usually around 18 litres. 

Thanks, we'll be trying at the next marina that's suitable, we've got to stop at one to exchange a gas bottle

9 minutes ago, MHS said:

You could continue up to Coventry and try to meet up with the Oil-Boat. You could ring him  to see if the timing is right. 

http://oilboat.co.uk/traderoute.htm

Great idea! Have just emailed him. We've passed him a couple of times on the Coventry, we'll be needing to buy some oil too. Remember seeing his oil prices which looked good.

56 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

There certainly used to be an oil disposal facility at Braunston Marina

Our marinas (both BWML) have gert big tanks (2000 litres+) for boaters to put old oil into, there is then a gert big cage for putting the old plastic oil 'cans'. No charge.

I am guessing that they sell the oil onto re-cyclers ( a lot of 'cheap' oil is 'pre-loved' just dehydrated, filtered and sold on as RRBL - Re-Refined Base Oil )

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

For future reference Oxfordshire narrowboats at Lower Heyford have a tank.

Whenever I've done my oil changes in Braunston I've taken the waste oil to Daventry recycling centre, in fact the recycling centres are where I invariably take my waste oil since you can get rid of the filters there as well. The most convenient recycling centre I've found so far (although not much use to you at your location) is at bridge  173 on the Trent and Mersey near Middlewich, right alongside the canal.