Traditional canal boat painting

Ken lennon

Featured Posts

From what I know they were good luck symbols although the Ace of Spades was not used as this represented death.

Even now some boat yards stay with known tradition.

When we had our boat repainted a few years ago I wanted a black Ace of Clubs on the slide. The painter said "You will have a red Ace of Clubs." On enquiring why I was told "black is bad luck, as long as this boat is in this yard it is mine, it is not yours until it goes back into the water."

If an "Ace" is painted on the slide there is a difference of opinion over which way it should "point."

IMG_7015.JPG

IMG0466.jpg

Mine lies so as I look at it, its tail is towards the back of the boat.

253151289_update17_02.10002.jpg.a3d0e9eb14ae22b354417f9b6f13375e.jpg

Edited by Ray T

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, thanks Ray. I had never heard of the macabre meaning of the ace of spades; is that just amongst boat people, or more generally?

General.

Once, when mooring a chap purporting to be an "ex working boater" said my chain on sliding rear hatch should rest on top of the hatch not dangle down as that was considered bad luck.

image.png.8cca6f2e32c087a314868e88d811d045.png

5 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Once, when mooring a chap purporting to be an "ex working boater" said my chain on sliding rear hatch should rest on top of the hatch not dangle down as that was considered bad luck.

image.png.8cca6f2e32c087a314868e88d811d045.png

Bad luck if it rakes your scalp

Tony’s output is well researched, representing a lifetimes obsession with the subject. If you are interested in the practical aspects of painting, I’m happy to chat and share information as a working signwriter and boat decorator in traditional styles.

Dave