The north Trent and Mersey

Featured Posts

I just love the north Trent and Mersey and to my mind it beats the Macclesfield the Llangollen and the Caldon and all other canals for atmosphere and peacefulness 

We moored up here for many years and it feels like coming home 

Perhaps we should move back up here again but we do like Streethay. 

We are going down onto another of our favourite Waterways - the Weaver and I know the trees will be amazing down there just now. 

Life can't get much better.

Haggis 

Yes we love the northern T&M having spent a couple of years moored at Acton Bridge in our shared ownership days. Haven't been there for about 10 years though  ?

You probaby find the same, being ex shareboaters like us, that it is nice to have a home mooring, where you know the canal intimately, and yet the rest of the system is vaguely familiar and is nice to return to.

We were at Acton Bridge twice for several years - copperkins tended to stay in the same mooring for years :-). 

There is not much of the system we haven't cruised and some we revisit and some we will probably not go back to 

Haggis 

4 hours ago, haggis said:

I just love the north Trent and Mersey and to my mind it beats the Macclesfield the Llangollen and the Caldon and all other canals for atmosphere and peacefulness 

We moored up here for many years and it feels like coming home 

Perhaps we should move back up here again but we do like Streethay. 

We are going down onto another of our favourite Waterways - the Weaver and I know the trees will be amazing down there just now. 

Life can't get much better.

Haggis 

The T and M is one of our faves. I do like the maccy but you can keep the Welsh thing its Hooooooogely overrated. 

We have spent the last couple of weeks on the Llangollen. Loved most of it. Spectacular views, lovely walks, hood pubs..Do like the T&M as well. Not been on the Weaver yet but should be up there in a few weeks after we pop down the Monty. All canals have their own charms.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ianali said:

We have spent the last couple of weeks on the Llangollen. Loved most of it. Spectacular views, lovely walks, hood pubs..Do like the T&M as well. Not been on the Weaver yet but should be up there in a few weeks after we pop down the Monty. All canals have their own charms.

As well as the Monty why not do the Preece Arm as well ?  The Weaver is great and very under used so not crowded. The lockies are great and will phone ahead to get the next lock ready if you ask. I had to join another rope to my centre rope to enable me hold onto it in the locks as they are quite deep. Make sure you go to both ends of the Weaver to appreciate it all. You can easily turn at the northern end by the fixed swing bridge. Stop at Weston Marsh lock to look at the Weaver proper and the Manchester Ship Canal. A trip into the bottom flash at Winsford is a must. My favourite mooring spot is by the Vale Royal cut.