Horn delay

Featured Posts

Took the boat out today and just to give it a run and when I sounded the (electric) horn approaching a bridge/blind bend nothing happened. I tried pressing the switch again and eventually it started to make some noises but not very loud. After about 10 goes the horn started to work properly. 

So what's going on? Old horn, dirty switch connections or is the relay getting old? (The switch is at the stern but because of voltage drop through inadequately sized cables I connected the horn to the BT batteries at the bow via a relay and it used to work fine.)

Edited by blackrose

The horn will have an electromagnet and a set of cantacts inside. The contacts are pysically connected to the diaphragm that makes the noise. They get corroded and make poor contact until a good long rattling cleans them up. There is often an adjusting screw that sets the contact pressure and hence the tone of the horn.

For years mine only worked when the engine was running, which wasn't much use when I broke down in the Harecastle tunnel. It finally got condemned by the safety examiner bod when it wouldn't work for him either.  The new one on the same button and same wiring ect works fine.  Some things just aren't built to last - it was one of the four remaining original bits of the boat, so can only have been about fifty years old.

2 hours ago, Jess-- said:

50 dead spiders in the horn

Maybe not that far from the truth. I dismantled my horn when it showed the same symptoms as the OP's found a wound up large ball of spider web inside. Cleaned it out refitted and all worked OK. 

33 minutes ago, reg said:

Maybe not that far from the truth. I dismantled my horn when it showed the same symptoms as the OP's found a wound up large ball of spider web inside. Cleaned it out refitted and all worked OK. 

Had the same problem with a horn and a paloma.

The spiders had "nested" in the manifold.