Fender ropes - how long please?

OliveOyl

Featured Posts

37 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep spot on. We have carbine hooks attached to the fender rope. Our shell has eyes welded at three points either side on the roof with stainless steel shackles on. Whichever side we moor simply snap the hook to the shackle. Quick and easy and NEVER attached when on the move.

Exactly — and no more effort (minor, wasted, or otherwise) than lifting them.

• Happy 1

Right then.........

Two rope fenders (not pipe) in stainless snap shackles go on gunnel.

Two hook on roof types with "Ray Mears" sliding knot to carry a go cart tyre

Two pair big sqaushy balloon fenders that can be put on hooks from roof or clipped on gunnel.

All bases covered as we cruise on some waterways with unfriendly jutting out bits.

That way we are not resticted where to moor. We choose any spot free and chooose the best two fenders for the job at the time.

Most of the time the big fenders sit under the counter near weed hatch so not in way.

Edited by mark99

4 hours ago, dmr said:

Pipe fenders are the work of the devil, a sinking fender with a floating rope, so when they get pulled off they end up on the bottom with the rope floating upwards waiting to attach to somebodies prop. I reckon to pick up one most years.  I note that Manchester ship canal rules actually bans sinking fenders but I suspect this is not enforced for pleasure craft.

Gunnel mounted fenders are not a good idea but are increasingly popular, as Robbo says, they should be fixed to the handrail or roof. Fenders should not be deployed whilst cruising, they Will get torn off in locks, so if gunnel mounted the only place for them is on the gunnel which is not good. If you have fenders down and do get jammed in a lock then lifting gunnel mounted fenders is really difficult.

Fenders down on Weaver locks is probably a good idea, big locks so no chance of getting jammed and fenders help prevent gunnels getting caught on the protruding stones.

...........Dave

Thanks for this because I thought they had to be attached to the rail, but my neighbour said no, fasten them onto the gunwales!

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

:wacko:

Wikipedia. Looks like a taut line hitch uses a rolling hitch on the standing part, and a loop.

The taut-line hitch is an adjustable loop knot for use on lines under tension. It is useful when the length of a line will need to be periodically adjusted in order to maintain tension. It is made by tying a rolling hitch around the standing part after passing around an anchor object. Tension is maintained by sliding the hitch to adjust size of the loop, thus changing the effective length of the standing part without retying the knot

:mellow::wacko::blink: Que???

3 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

Thanks for this because I thought they had to be attached to the rail, but my neighbour said no, fasten them onto the gunwales!

If they're fastened on the gunwales its unlikely that go kart tyres will stay balanced on them when not in use.

19 hours ago, Athy said:

This is simple one-upmanship, surely, and has no practical disadvantage?

This is good advice, unless you have the slim "pipe" fenders which are generally O.K. Even those should be lifted for certain very narrow locks.

You deploy your fenders where you want and I will do things correctly.

One thing is certain, you will not be sharing a broad lock with me with fenders down.

George

19 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

You deploy your fenders where you want and I will do things correctly.

One thing is certain, you will not be sharing a broad lock with me with fenders down.

George

?Likewise, I'm sure.

No, I shan't - it must be 15 years since I went through a broad lock, in Britain at least. But of course I would thank you for your courtesy in letting us go through first.

Edited by Athy

14 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I use soft shackles to attach side fenders to our gunnels, only takes a couple of moments to attach them when mooring and always removed when setting off. 

Sounds like a new band!

"Ladies and gentlemen, please put your hands together and give a big welcome to' Soft Shackles'!". :D

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

Sounds like a new band!

"Ladies and gentlemen, please put your hands together and give a big welcome to' Soft Shackles'!". :D

?

Any connection with Chicken Shackles?