Problem with mono bloc taps

Featured Posts

I’ve just fitted some monobloc taps with flexible hoses

I now find that the water pump is surging and the volume of water coming out of taps is low.

suggesting that the pump cannot cope with the narrow diameter of the flexible hoses attached to the taps. 

The internal diameter of the flexible hoses is approximately 6 mm

Has anyone else had any problems with this kind of tap?

28 minutes ago, Mac Mackenzie said:

I’ve just fitted some monobloc taps with flexible hoses

I now find that the water pump is surging and the volume of water coming out of taps is low.

suggesting that the pump cannot cope with the narrow diameter of the flexible hoses attached to the taps. 

The internal diameter of the flexible hoses is approximately 6 mm

Has anyone else had any problems with this kind of tap?

I've not had any problems with monobloc taps. Maybe your pump and accumulator is set to a low pressure.

Check the fine gauze filter in the tap stem is not blocked with debris disturbed in the pipe work. Filter is often just above the outlet defuser. Some taps it is fitted in theflexible pipes.

What is the flow rate of your pump, 6mm bore should be ok with 7lpm with the pump running constantly. Higher pump flows will make the pump cycle on off, an accumulator with a air precharge approx 0.6 of the maximum pump pressure will lengthen the time cycles.

I have cheap monoblock that worked fine until I altered pipework and scale

Edited by adrianh

I have just fitted a monobloc tap, and the flow rate is not that impressive, but not disasterous.  (It's a non issue, as it is only on a small basin).

What do you mean though when you say the water pump is "surging"?  Do you mean rapidly repeatedly turning on and off?  Does your system have an accumulator?

1 hour ago, adrianh said:

Check the fine gauze filter in the tap stem is not blocked with debris disturbed in the pipe work. Filter is often just above the outlet defuser. Some taps it is fitted in theflexible pipes.

What is the flow rate of your pump, 6mm bore should be ok with 7lpm with the pump running constantly. Higher pump flows will make the pump cycle on off, an accumulator with a air precharge approx 0.6 of the maximum pump pressure will lengthen the time cycles.

Had exactly this problem with the Daughters tap, filter in the end of the spout blocked with crud. Needed to unscrew the the end of the spout to get at the filter.

Problem is solved by throwing away the plastic filter, retain the wire gauze diffuser. 

Edited by IDS

The taps are designed for houses and their are two types, high and low pressure.  The former are for use in combi systems where hot and cold are both at the supply pressure.  The latter are designed for gravity-fed systems and operate at much lower pressure.  The tap details should give the minimum pressure required.  I've come across several cases where people didn't appreciate the difference and fitted HP taps in a gravity system with the result that the water just dribbled out.

But do check for a mesh filter, either in the end of the tap or in the end of the flexible connectors.  They are not really needed!

Hi all .

I've just been having this problem after fitting a new pump . 

I had to turn the pressure down to stop it then I read pump instructions and turned the pressure back up and while the kitchen tap and pump was pulsing on and off I turned the screw in the pressure pump and now no more pulsing and all is good . 

You can adjust the pump itself to stop the pulsing .

On 11/05/2018 at 22:53, adrianh said:

On 11/05/2018 at 20:33, David Mack said:

Have you got a correctly pressurised accumulator in your system?

Yes accumulator is correctly pressurised

On 12/05/2018 at 15:57, Greg & Jax said:

Hi all .

I've just been having this problem after fitting a new pump . 

I had to turn the pressure down to stop it then I read pump instructions and turned the pressure back up and while the kitchen tap and pump was pulsing on and off I turned the screw in the pressure pump and now no more pulsing and all is good . 

You can adjust the pump itself to stop the pulsing .

Thanks for the tip. My pump is a Parmax 3 which I have now adjusted and it has resolved the problem

On 18/05/2018 at 08:44, Mac Mackenzie said:

Thanks for your advice. the problem has been resolved now that I've adjusted the pump pressure

On 12/05/2018 at 15:38, ditchcrawler said:

I would still go for the accumulator charge

Accumulator pressured correctly. it turned out to be pump pressure too low which I've now adjusted and all ok

On 12/05/2018 at 09:11, dor said:

The taps are designed for houses and their are two types, high and low pressure.  The former are for use in combi systems where hot and cold are both at the supply pressure.  The latter are designed for gravity-fed systems and operate at much lower pressure.  The tap details should give the minimum pressure required.  I've come across several cases where people didn't appreciate the difference and fitted HP taps in a gravity system with the result that the water just dribbled out.

But do check for a mesh filter, either in the end of the tap or in the end of the flexible connectors.  They are not really needed!

Thanks for tip. It was the pump pressure too low as having now adjusted it is now fine