Difficulty in choosing a hire company

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

Many websites of hire companies lack sufficient photos to make an informed choice . I have found a bench style seat, on previous hires uncomfortable , so I am looking for boats with a pair of lounge chairs. The features section usually does not specify the included furniture, so I rely on interior pictures. These are often lacking in many of the smaller companies .  Getting expensive to hire also since I first hired , so want to ensure my money is well spent . I realise most on the forum are owners and hence not able to offer guidance , but any input would be appreciated . Thanks

A lot of us have or do work with hire fleets so I think someone will be along with advice for what you want. Oxfordshire narrowboats have all fixed seating other than a couple of short 2/4 berth boats  so thats one firm that doesnt fit your needs.

Have you looked yet at the Ashby Boat Co? One photo on their web site shows a saloon with a 2-person settee, another plan shows two free-standing armchairs. The company gets consistently good reviews and the Ashby Canal is charming.

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

Have you looked yet at the Ashby Boat Co? One photo on their web site shows a saloon with a 2-person settee, another plan shows two free-standing armchairs. The company gets consistently good reviews and the Ashby Canal is charming.

Ashby is great! No locks ?

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Thanks  Athy,  The Ashby boat Co  was my first ever hire. we did the Oxford as far as Croperdy.  And I would not want to do a lock free trip, all part of the fun .  

2 minutes ago, pomkitanner said:

Thanks  Athy,  The Ashby boat Co  was my first ever hire. we did the Oxford as far as Croperdy.  And I would not want to do a lock free trip, all part of the fun .  

Ah, so I am preaching to the converted. You could always turn right at Marston Junction and head North.

Many years ago I hired from Countrywide Cruisers at Brewood on the Shropshire Union. We did the ring, down the Staffs & Worcs, Down the river Severn to Worcester and back up the Worcs & Birmingham, through Birmingham and Wolverhampton back to base.

Looking at the website they have a two berth “Sir Ironside” which has two chairs and a coal stove with a large rear hatch to stand in. I remember when this was a new boat, it looked quite good. There’s also “Sir Meileaus” with two chairs, a dinette and a coal stove.

The prices on their own web site show 2014 prices but their bookings page show 2018 prices.

They also book through waterways holidays

http://www.countrywide-cruisers.co.uk

https://www.waterwaysholidays.com

On 11/05/2018 at 20:05, pomkitanner said:

Many websites of hire companies lack sufficient photos to make an informed choice . I have found a bench style seat, on previous hires uncomfortable , so I am looking for boats with a pair of lounge chairs. The features section usually does not specify the included furniture, so I rely on interior pictures. These are often lacking in many of the smaller companies .  Getting expensive to hire also since I first hired , so want to ensure my money is well spent . I realise most on the forum are owners and hence not able to offer guidance , but any input would be appreciated . Thanks

Some of Napton Narrowboats seating is 'loose' - but I think tends to be a sofa/settee rather than individual chairs. More comfortable then fixed bench seating though.

http://www.hoseasons.co.uk/boat-holidays/napton-narrowboats-napt/elite-2-bh1546

However-

This one will be more expensive but seems to have exactly what you are looking for.

http://www.hoseasons.co.uk/boat-holidays/napton-narrowboats-napt/regency-2-sophie-bh2233

Hi there, fellow NZer,

We used to hire lots (about 16 or 17 times from 1990 to 2013) and about 14 of those times we hired from Black Prince.

They do have boats with armchairs - usually in the ones with no dinette double in the saloon.

We hired from Black Prince because they have several bases, the boats are all good and well-maintained. Not fancy, but everything works. And they give a discount for repeat hires. A couple of months ago, a friend who'd been with us on a boat back in 2007 rang to book, told them she had done so and had the discount voucher (they'd given one to everyone who was on board when we took the boat back), and they not only gave her a discount on the boat she was hiring but also on the one another group of friends was hiring at the same time. Good business people who know the value of customer service.

We've hired from them several times from Napton, a few times from Acton Bridge and Stoke on Trent, and from Chirk.

Cheers, Marilyn

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, first time poster, long time lurker here. 

I can confirm that the Constellation Class boats at Anglo Welsh have very comfy leather recliners.  We have just today handed back our boat following a two week break.  As there were just two of us, the four recliners made the space feel quite cramped, but one of the chaps at AW advised that next time they could remove two of them if we request it beforehand. The interior was very modern and clean lined, but the corridors thorough the boat were quite tight.  

I would certainly consider hiring the same class of boat next year, unless we've actually bought one in the meantime. ?

Good luck in your search. ☺️

9 hours ago, Flotsam1 said:

Hello, first time poster, long time lurker here. 

I can confirm that the Constellation Class boats at Anglo Welsh have very comfy leather recliners.  We have just today handed back our boat following a two week break.  As there were just two of us, the four recliners made the space feel quite cramped, but one of the chaps at AW advised that next time they could remove two of them if we request it beforehand. The interior was very modern and clean lined, but the corridors thorough the boat were quite tight.  

I would certainly consider hiring the same class of boat next year, unless we've actually bought one in the meantime. ?

Good luck in your search. ☺️

Welcome to CWDF, Flotsam, and thank you for this useful information.

9 hours ago, bizzard said:

Bring back the old Hoeseasons and Blakes hire boat catalogues.

I've actually got some in pdf format, from the 60's 70's but it appears they are too large to upload as PDF's here unfortunately.

Broads brochure 1.PNG

Broads brochure 2.PNG

Edited by MJG

On 13/05/2018 at 10:21, pomkitanner said:

If you turn right at the Ashby /Coventry Jcn it's not far to the locks & then turn left at Fradley & continue up the T&M theres enough locks to keep you busy a while