Newly painted boat

trundler

Featured Posts

Hello. We are trying not to be too precious about our newly painted boat (September 2017). However I know that the painter was in a bit of a rush and I am starting to think that he hasn't put the correct amount of coats on  . We have so many chips appearing ...down to the grey. I am so sad to see this happening as the boat is our home . Is there any way we can test for the amount of layers .? There should have been 2primers,2undercoat and 1 gloss. Thank you in advance for any response . 

A picture would help.

I think the amount of layers of paint possibly isn't as important as the level and quality of the preparation prior to painting and conditions the paint was applied, although clearly more layers are better. 

When you say chips, are they caused by impact damage? 

Edited by rusty69
can't spell

I am trying to get some pics on here . We paid £8,500.plus a bit more for this job.  I know they had to get their day boat painted for the boat show, which is why I am becoming convinced that he has taken shortcuts . There are chips along the handrail as well . I suppose we have been taken for mugs then ? 

20180503_110959.jpg

20180503_125515.jpg

3 minutes ago, trundler said:

I am trying to get some pics on here . We paid £8,500.plus a bit more for this job.  I know they had to get their day boat painted for the boat show, which is why I am becoming convinced that he has taken shortcuts . There are chips along the handrail as well . I suppose we have been taken for mugs then ? 

20180503_110959.jpg

Did they specify the amount of coats when they quoted looks like it was 5?

Looks like a scrape to me! 

Edited by rusty69

Looks to me like it’s been dinged and scraped. Touch the chips up with a small artist’s brush. 

20 minutes ago, trundler said:

We paid £8,500.plus a bit more for this job

Sounds cheap. What did that entail and how long is the boat?

Just for what it's worth, after having watched his excellent videos on boat painting, I have called John Barnard. He quoted me 12.000 for my 45 footer. He applies something like 12 coats inc. 3 glosses though. Also the work is carried out over span of 6 weeks.

Edited by Martin Trnecka

Hurried. A classic reason for easy chipping. If the the various coats are not left to dry properly, then the coats underneath will remain soft and will chip off easily.  I can see a big chip on that red handrail. The bloke shouldn't have been eating his chips whilst painting.

Right. So we have been done . My skipper says not to let it ruin our summer.  I guess we will have to have some lessons on how to put these mistakes right . When we get back to our winter mooring we will get painter to come and have a look and wait for his response.  Thank you all for your input . I know for certain now that it has been hurried ( he phoned us in a panic at one point as he was more interested in getting  the boatyards day boat painted ) . Once again thank you.  From sad lady  

37 minutes ago, Martin Trnecka said:

Just for what it's worth, after having watched his excellent videos on boat painting, I have called John Barnard. He quoted me 12.000 for my 45 footer. He applies something like 12 coats inc. 3 glosses though. Also the work is carried out over span of 6 weeks.

That is top dollar for a boat that size, even if is a good finish, 3 coats of gloss is pretty much standard. I think John, and Colin at Spiderworks also offer a more budget job where you do some parts of the hard work and take part in the painting - could be worth another enquiry.

Even once complete, enamel takes up to 6 months to harden off completely.

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

That is top dollar for a boat that size, even if is a good finish, 3 coats of gloss is pretty much standard. I think John, and Colin at Spiderworks also offer a more budget job where you do some parts of the hard work and take part in the painting - could be worth another enquiry.

Even once complete, enamel takes up to 6 months to harden off completely.

Yes, that was really pricey for me. Well, I don't know if ever I will have my current boat painted, as according to the surveyor the paint will protect the boat for another 10 years. Does new paint add anything on the value of the boat when resold? Thanks for the tip btw.

52 minutes ago, Martin Trnecka said:

Yes, that was really pricey for me. Well, I don't know if ever I will have my current boat painted, as according to the surveyor the paint will protect the boat for another 10 years. Does new paint add anything on the value of the boat when resold? Thanks for the tip btw.

It makes the boat a whole lot more saleable, and makes people want to come and look at it. It will make buyers think the boat is cared for and other areas will have been maintained too.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

It makes the boat a whole lot more saleable, and makes people want to come and look at it. It will make buyers think the boat is cared for and other areas will have been maintained too.

All good points.

Although I am not going to sell my boat anytime soon, with waiting lists and prices as they are I might as well start saving now. Let's say that in 3-4 years I will have saved enough to have the boat repainted. What would be better route, sell and use the money for boat upgrade, or paint and hope that the money will come back because the boat is now looking like new. I know it's all what if, but would a fairly new paint reflect on how much I can actually ask for it in realistic terms.