Chester Zoo via canal...

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Moor by bridge 134. Take the bridleway that heads off to the right of the road on the towpath side of the bridge. This is the shortest walking, or cycling route. Give yourself the best part of a day there as there is a lot to see. I liked the bat house best. You can book tickets online from the zoo web site.

Jen

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

brilliant thanks... odd how they don't mention canal as a means of getting there on their website...

It's almost like they don't want you to!  There was no signage at the mooring place when I visited, but follow Jen's instructions and it's a ten minute walk - although we found the path also unsigned so a prior look on Google Maps satellite view might improve confidence in where you're going.  Do be aware of those opening times as they shut promptly at 5 and it's quite easy to miss a fair bit.  Iirc, they open til 6 in the school summer holidays when I suspect it'll be even harder to see everything! Well worth a visit though.

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

It's almost like they don't want you to!  There was no signage at the mooring place when I visited, but follow Jen's instructions and it's a ten minute walk - although we found the path also unsigned so a prior look on Google Maps satellite view might improve confidence in where you're going.  Do be aware of those opening times as they shut promptly at 5 and it's quite easy to miss a fair bit.  Iirc, they open til 6 in the school summer holidays when I suspect it'll be even harder to see everything! Well worth a visit though.

The sign I remember seeing when I was there last year may have been a road sign rather than one aimed at canal users but, as you say, Jen's directions are very comprehensive.