CANAL & RIVER TRUST APPOINTS REGIONAL DIRECTORS

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

An interesting point - I don't suppose they can. I'm sure (well, nearly sure) that, when mobile telephone first came into vogue some 15 or so years ago, some directory entries listed both the proper phone number and the mobile one also.

Like mobile phones, you seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that the primary use most people have for a landline is to make telephone calls. 

The only reason I have one is for internet access and email. 

I used to use it for TV too, but cancelled that when Virgin put the price up to £56 a MONTH for their cheapest service, ffs!

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

, You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that the primary use most people have for a landline is to make telephone calls. 

Er, no misapprehension: that is why people had them installed in the first place, to enable them to speak to people who would normally be out of earshot (thus Brian Blessed presumably does not need one, nor did my mother when angry).. 

I have no idea whether it is possible to get internet access or e-mail on one's home computer via a mobile telephone. But, as I have a proper phone, I don't need to know.

Just now, Athy said:

Er, no misapprehension: that is why people had them installed in the first place, to enable them to speak to people who would normally be out of earshot (thus Brian Blessed presumably does not need one, nor did my mother when angry).. 

Amazing how so much of 21st century life passes you by. It was only a year or two ago you were claiming to be unaware of what a debit card is! 

I think you know about stuff like this really, but like to wear your fusty old 1970s view of how life is just to be awkward. :) 

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have no idea whether it is possible to get internet access or e-mail on one's home computer via a mobile telephone

Yes you can - Bricks & Mortar are little different to boats (in that respect)

Our Bricks & Mortar internet has run off our 3 phone since we cancelled the land-line.

How many boaters with internet connection have a telephone 'land-line' trailing behind them ?

You do sometimes come out with the strangest things that with a little thought should be obvious.

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Amazing how so much of 21st century life passes you by. It was only a year or two ago you were claiming to be unaware of what a debit card is! 

I think you know about stuff like this really, but like to wear your fusty old 1970s view of how life is just to be awkward. :) 

You are too kind. But I have owned, and used, a debit card for probably a decade now, so I'm not sure where you get that idea from.

I'm certainly not being awkward, at least no more so than any man brought up in the North. But, for example, I would be reluctant to give my business to any trader who displayed only a mobile phone number, as they could turn out to be fly-by-nights. This is just common sense. I note that you show an address and proper phone number on your web site. (I would of course exclude boat-based traders such as Richard at The Slipway from this judgement). 

Would you consider your view of the proper engines for narrowboats to be "fusty"? probably not, yet they date back earlier than the 1970s.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You do sometimes come out with the strangest things that with a little thought should be obvious.

You have, I'm afraid, misattributed the comment; it was made by MtB. In any case, we cannot get the internet on our boat and we don't make a habit of invading anyone else's to see if they've got a computer, so why should it be "obvious", whatever degree of thought one applies?

It does strike me as ironical that people, such as many of us on CWDF, who have enthusiasm for travelling around a 200-year-old transport system in boats which are, to varying degrees, replicas of craft from 80 years ago (and which sometimes ARE those very same boats) can think of the 1970s as old-fashioned.

The greatest irony is that MtB devotes his working life to keeping gas equipment from 30 or more years ago running. Are all his customers "fusty"? Now don't get me wrong, I am all in favour of repairing items where it's practicable rather than throwing them away (witness, for example, the 1967 Hacker on which I generally listen to my records at home) but it's perhaps an unexpected occupation for a protagonist of modern gadgetry. www.fustiboilers.com?

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

You have, I'm afraid, misattributed the comment; it was made by MtB.

If that is the case, then apologies - but - having looked again at post no 102 (below)

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I have no idea whether it is possible to get internet access or e-mail on one's home computer via a mobile telephone. But, as I have a proper phone, I don't need to know.

It certainly seems to have your name against it.

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

A  decade is only 10  years, and I aleady have 6 of them in the bag, so my claim was no exaggeration!  If, as we did, you buy a house from a Mr Smelly (yes honestly, a real one!), and you take over their number, which was not ex directory, believe me, you do not keep that number very long.  There are some wierdos out there!

so undoubtedly it is well above 50% in 2018.

When I worked for BT whenever we had a new,  green behind the ears, apprentice it was course de rigueur to give him the telephone number of a zoo and ask him to call a Mr. C. Lyon or a Mr. G. Raffe. :)

The various zoos involved must have got very tired of this.

Edited by Ray T

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I'm certainly not being awkward, at least no more so than any man brought up in the North. But, for example, I would be reluctant to give my business to any trader who displayed only a mobile phone number, as they could turn out to be fly-by-nights.

Quite. A business should normally display a land line telephone number and a physical address. But as a private individual, I would rather not puts such information in front of potential cold callers or identity thieves.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If that is the case, then apologies - but - having looked again at post no 102 (below)

It certainly seems to have your name against it.

But backpedal to post no. 101!

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

But backpedal to post no. 101!

Post 101

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Like mobile phones, you seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that the primary use most people have for a landline is to make telephone calls. 

The only reason I have one is for internet access and email. 

I used to use it for TV too, but cancelled that when Virgin put the price up to £56 a MONTH for their cheapest service, ffs!

I am getting further confused - I can see nowhere in post 101 where it says ".....possible to get internet via a mobile phone....."

Except in post 102 (below)

4 hours ago, Athy said:

I have no idea whether it is possible to get internet access or e-mail on one's home computer via a mobile telephone.

Had you said "I HAD no idea that it is possible......." I could accept that as a reply to MtBs post.

But would still question how you think that all those folks on this forum that are livaboards are managing to post.

I think I'll just leave it at that as I cannot think of any other way to explain it.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Post 101

I am getting further confused - I can see nowhere in post 101 where it says ".....possible to get internet via a mobile phone....."

Except in post 102 (below)

Had you said "I HAD no idea that it is possible......." I could accept that as a reply to MtBs post.

But would still question how you think that all those folks on this forum that are livaboards are managing to post.

I think I'll just leave it at that as I cannot think of any other way to explain it.

I think you ought, yes. We were talking about connections in houses, not boats.

MtB said, in the present tense, that he has a land line telephone so that he can gain access to the internet. It is perfectly reasonable, therefore, to assume that he can't do so via a mobile telephone. Simples.

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

It is perfectly reasonable, therefore, to assume that he can't do so via a mobile telephone. Simples.

Another error!

Given how critical the internet is to my income, it would be plain stupid to rely on one single internet service provider.

I have three actually. 

59 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Seems he's quite good on LGBTQI as well . . .

I know about LBGT, but wot the f's LGBTQI? I  don't think my extra groups are politically correct ...

On 14/05/2018 at 18:34, Iain_S said:

I know about LBGT, but wot the f's LGBTQI? I  don't think my extra groups are politically correct ...

Q = queer (no, me neither)

I = intersex, that is neither male nor female (and yes, that happens).

On 14/05/2018 at 18:34, Iain_S said:

Q = Queer or Questioning (ie unsure)

I = Intersex.

The latter is the one characteristic that for certain is not a lifestyle choice - and therefore cannot be ignored in the way some attempt to do by demeaning the other choices as not inherent. (I really ought to have said that at greater length to avoid upsetting someone or other but I guess you know what I mean!)

I did see another letter added the other day but it temporarily escapes me!