CANAL & RIVER TRUST APPOINTS REGIONAL DIRECTORS

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

10 May 2018

CANAL & RIVER TRUST APPOINTS REGIONAL DIRECTORS

The Canal & River Trust has appointed six new Regional Directors to drive the next phase of the organisation’s development, as the Trust takes forward its transformation to become a charity for the waterways and wellbeing, enriching the lives of millions of local people with waterways on their doorstep.

The appointments, including four external candidates, bring a rich and diverse range of experience to the Trust, including from the heritage, charity and local government sectors.

The appointments are:

• Regional Director, London & South East – Ros Daniels, who joins the Trust with extensive experience of the heritage and tourism sector, most recently as Head of Historic Properties, London at English Heritage

• Regional Director, Wales & South West – Richard Thomas, who joins the Trust following a long and successful career in the Royal Navy

• Regional Director, West Midlands – Adnan Saif, who joins the Trust having worked for over 20 years in senior positions in local government, regeneration and economic development, and is currently Chief Executive of the British Muslim Heritage Centre
  • Regional Director, East Midlands – Phil Mulligan, who joins the Trust with extensive senior management experience in the voluntary sector notably as Chief Executive of the Landscape Institute, Executive Director of the United Nations Association UK, and Chief Executive of Environmental Protection UK

• Regional Director, Yorkshire & North East – Sean McGinley, currently East Midlands Waterway Manager, who has worked on the waterways in management and engineering posts for 16 years

• Interim Regional Director, North West – Daniel Greenhalgh (for up to 12 months) a senior manager at the Trust responsible for delivery of major canal infrastructure projects and who formerly led on the delivery of all the Trust’s operational contracts

The Trust has established two new permanent posts and appointed internal candidates in areas requiring very specific additional focus:

• Tav Kazmi, currently Acting Waterway Manager for the South East, is appointed as Deputy Director, London & South East, recognising the scale and impact of London & South East as a region, with many complex challenges specific to the capital and its surrounding area, and with huge potential opportunities for the Trust to grasp

• Ian Lane, currently Waterway Manager for the West Midlands, is appointed as Head of Operational Projects in the West Midlands in recognition of the extensive and unique opportunities in the region over the next few years, notably Coventry City of Culture 2021, the Birmingham Commonwealth Games in 2022, and in the near term the ongoing development of the Roundhouse project

• In addition, the Trust has appointed Interim Head of Boating, Jon Horsfall, as Head of Customer Service Support to lead the organisation’s customer service functions, including boating

Julie Sharman Chief Operating Officer at the Canal & River Trust, comments: “I am delighted to welcome such a diverse and high-calibre team to the Trust.  It has been a rigorous recruitment process that has attracted very high-quality applicants and which reflects the really exciting opportunity the Trust has to make a real difference to the lives of millions of people, including in some of the most deprived parts of the country.

“As we focus on bringing the benefits of the waterways to communities across England & Wales, the appointment of our Regional Directors is at the heart of our proposals to transform the charity, strengthen the accountability of regional teams, and to shift our structure to engage more effectively with prospective partners and the outside world – whilst also enabling the Trust to act quickly and efficiently at every level.”

The Trust’s new regional structure goes live on 4 June.  The external appointees will be joining the Trust during July and August with interim arrangements in place until then.

ENDS

For further media requests please contact:

Jonathan Ludford, national communications manager, Canal & River Trust

t 020 32044420 m 07747 897783 e jonathan.ludford@canalrivertrust.org.uk   

Notes to editors

Biographies (photos included in the attached PDF):

Regional Director London & South East, Ros Daniels

Ros joins the Trust with extensive experience of the heritage and tourism sector.  She has managed a wide variety of historic houses, gardens, coast and countryside for both English Heritage and the National Trust.  Most recently this included English Heritage’s flagship property, Dover Castle, and then a varied portfolio of London properties.  In addition Ros was part of the project team that relocated and opened the new Design Museum in Kensington.  In her spare time she is a keen canoeist and paddle boarder enjoying time on the water here and abroad.

Regional Director West Midlands, Adnan Saif

Adnan has worked in local government, regeneration and economic development for over 20 years. Until March 2012, Adnan was Chief Executive of Urban Living – which was one of ten national Housing Market Pathfinders. Adnan has also founded and led many non-governmental and voluntary organisations at local, European and international levels. In April 2012, he started a social enterprise initiative that seeks to improve leadership and service delivery in local government and civil society. In addition to this he is currently Chief Executive of the British Muslim Heritage Centre in Manchester.

Regional Director East Midlands, Phil Mulligan

Phil is currently a National Trust Council member, representing The Conservation Volunteers, an organisation on whose Board he served for five years. Phil’s previous roles have included CEO of the Landscape Institute, Executive Director of the United Nations Association UK and CEO of Environmental Protection UK. For five years Phil was the VSO Country Director in Indonesia and has previously served on Greenpeace’s Rainbow Warrior, as well as leading youth development projects for Raleigh International. Phil was the Vice Chair of Defra’s Civil Society Advisory Board when the government first considered the creation of the Canal & River Trust and he has also advised the Department of Transport and a global law firm on sustainability issues. Phil has been an active member of the Construction Industry Council, the Professional Association Research Network, the World Federation of United Nations Associations and a Trustee of One World Action. In his free time, Phil is a keen runner and baker, and enjoys tending the garden. Phil is married and has three children. He and his family are very much looking forward to relocating to Newark from East Sussex over the summer. 

Regional Director Wales & South West, Richard Thomas

Richard joins the Trust following a successful and enjoyable career in the Royal Navy. During his time at sea he transited two canals: ‘Corinth’ as Captain of HMS Portland and ‘Manchester’ whilst in command of HMS Middleton; setting him on a path to be the Regional Director for Wales and the South West. Currently living with his wife Caren in Surrey, they have aspirations to live afloat on the canal in Gloucester when taking up his appointment; in doing so delighting his father by returning to the county of his youth.

Regional Director Yorkshire & North East, Sean McGinley

Sean McGinley, grew up in Yorkshire and started his waterways career 16 years ago in the North East Region before moving to the East Midlands where his management has included the Chesterfield, Grantham and Erewash canals as well as the River Trent and other waterways.  Sean is a chartered civil engineer with a passion for the waterways and volunteering.  He has previously volunteered in Africa overseeing the planning and construction of roads.  He is a keen cyclist and is married with two children.

Interim Regional Director North West, Daniel Greenhalgh

Daniel was a senior aircraftsman in the RAF and was awarded a NATO Service Medal for the liberation of Kosovo.  He was site engineer for a civil engineering contractor in Liverpool before joining the waterways in 2005.  More recently he has been a senior manager within the Trust responsible for delivery of major canal infrastructure projects and formerly led on the delivery of all the Trust’s operational contracts.

Head of Customer Service Support, Jon Horsfall

Jon Horsfall has spent 20 years in the water industry before joining the inland waterways in 2010.  He led customer strategy for United Utilities and many of his roles, including at the Trust, have been customer service related.  At the Trust, Jon has been the senior manager responsible for the North East and Yorkshire waterways and more recently has led the Trust’s boating business.  He is a keen walker and can regularly be seen taking in the delightful stretch of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal between Colne and Skipton.

1 hour ago, Laurence Hogg said:

One wonders what the next press release will contain. 

I guess the next press release on C&RT's delayed reorganisation will provide the names of six regional chairs to head the 'new' regional advisory boards which will replace regional partnerships.

All regional chairs will be experienced boaters to complement regional directors who have no such qualifications ...

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

Closely followed by an an announcement about the local panels who will be appointed to tutor the new directors to get them up to speed about their roles. Maybe Sean McGinley will do this as theperson who is most experienced and already up to speed about waterways management.

h

Howard

Edited by howardang

Adnan has worked in local government, regeneration and economic development for over 20 years. Until March 2012, Adnan was Chief Executive of Urban Living – which was one of ten national Housing Market Pathfinders. Adnan has also founded and led many non-governmental and voluntary organisations at local, European and international levels. In April 2012, he started a social enterprise initiative that seeks to improve leadership and service delivery in local government and civil society. In addition to this he is currently Chief Executive of the British Muslim Heritage Centre in Manchester.

boating, no.

cycling, no, 

fishing, no

historical structures, not really, 

Icknield Port Loop project, maybe...

diversity box ticked off, YES.

• Greenie 3

14 hours ago, matty40s said:

boating, no.

cycling, no, 

fishing, no

historical structures, not really, 

Icknield Port Loop project, maybe...

diversity box ticked off, YES.

That's very racist of you Matty40s. Seems a lot more likely his massive wealth of experience in the voluntary, social enterprise and Heritage sectors are what qualified him for his role rather than his ethnicity. Also Urban Living - big use of the canals at the moment is residential. Your post is appalling. 

• Angry 1

5 minutes ago, Teasel said:

That's very racist of you Matty40s. Seems a lot more likely his massive wealth of experience in the voluntary, social enterprise and Heritage sectors are what qualified him for his role rather than his ethnicity. Also Urban Living - big use of the canals at the moment is residential. Your post is appalling. 

I can see nothing "racist" in that post and nothing "appalling" either. Please could you explain further?

7 minutes ago, Teasel said:

That is no different to all of the TV adverts that now have to have the 'token' minority represented in the 'family', it doesn't matter if they are advertising cars, butter, chicken pieces, holidays or mortgages.

Targets must be met.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is no different to all of the TV adverts that now have to have the 'token' minority represented in the 'family'

Oh good - you as well. Suggesting he's the 'token' ethnic minority, rather than properly qualified for the role. Racist. 

• Angry 1

6 minutes ago, Teasel said:

Yep - absolutely - Matt40's is suggesting that what qualifies this man for his post is his ethnicity, rather than his experience. I think that's racist. 

No, he has not mentioned his ethnicity. He has mentioned that although this director has varied experience, it does not relate to the waterways. That seems perfectly acceptable.

Edited by Athy

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is no different to all of the TV adverts that now have to have the 'token' minority represented in the 'family', it doesn't matter if they are advertising cars, butter, chicken pieces, holidays or mortgages.

Targets must be met.

Hotels seems to be the latest batch to get their ethnic groups represented in their advertisement campaigns.

19 minutes ago, Teasel said:

right - what do you think he meant by 'diversity box ticked off'? 

It appears to be the only qualification that he has for the job. Stating a fact isn’t racist. 

28 minutes ago, Teasel said:

Yep - absolutely - Matt40's is suggesting that what qualifies this man for his post is his ethnicity, rather than his experience. I think that's racist. 

I think it’s factual. 

Edited by WotEver
Auto incorrect

4 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

It is a fact that C&RT had a key performance indicator target in 2017/18 for 5% BAME which on the latest published figures they were failing to achieve.

It's also a fact that positive discrimination - i.e. employing someone solely because they have a protected characteristic rather than because they are the best candidate for the job - is unlawful in the UK. If CRT has done this, they are breaking the law - it's discrimination.

2 hours ago, Teasel said:

Oh good - you as well. Suggesting he's the 'token' ethnic minority, rather than properly qualified for the role. Racist. 

1 minute ago, Parahandy said:

Absolutely appalling for you to suggest that and if you have any manners you should withdraw that comment . Matty merely listed some qualities which would be welcome for a person holding such a post and all that could really be ascertained was that at least he ticked the Diversity requirement . CRT presumably like many other organisations strive for Diversity of Employees , so what ?

Why attack a Forum Member in that way ?

Edited by Parahandy

7 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Why attack a Forum Member in that way ?

OK. I read that differently, and found it offensive. On reflection, you're right that I should have asked more clarifying questions before reacting as I did. I do have an issue with the suggestion that Adnan Saif is only qualified for his role because of the 'diversity' element. He's the Chief Executive of the British Muslim Heritage Centre for a start. I'm sorry Matty, for reacting badly to that, and if you felt attacked - that wasn't my intention. I think some of the comments that have come afterwards would suggest that others read it the same way (but agreed). But for what it's worth, I withdraw my accusation of racism, and in future will thnk harder and ask more questions before I speak. 

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Teasel said:

Where does Matty40s say anything about ethicity ? I think you need to explain your remarks before accusing somebody as being a racist. 

4 minutes ago, Teasel said:

He's the Chief Executive of the British Muslim Heritage Centre for a start.  

You are the only one who has pointed this out.  

But to me it is a fact and therefore reference to it surely can not be racist.

The question has to be - is it a qualification to Direct the maintenance, management and restoration of the English canal system ?

(oops there I go, bringing ethnicity into it again)

1 minute ago, canalboat said:

is it a qualification to Direct the maintenance, management and restoration of the English canal system ?

I pointed it out as something that DOES qualify him for the role - the canal network is one of the biggest heritage sites in the country. So yes - absolutely I think his experience managing heritage organisations qualifies him. Heritage isn't all about the built environment - CRT are trying to make the waterways relevant to everyone in the UK. 

19 minutes ago, Teasel said:

OK. I read that differently, and found it offensive. On reflection, you're right that I should have asked more clarifying questions before reacting as I did. I do have an issue with the suggestion that Adnan Saif is only qualified for his role because of the 'diversity' element. He's the Chief Executive of the British Muslim Heritage Centre for a start. I'm sorry Matty, for reacting badly to that, and if you felt attacked - that wasn't my intention. I think some of the comments that have come afterwards would suggest that others read it the same way (but agreed). But for what it's worth, I withdraw my accusation of racism, and in future will thnk harder and ask more questions before I speak. 

Thank you for that most reasonable and civil post.

3 hours ago, Teasel said:

right - what do you think he meant by 'diversity box ticked off'? 

You obviously don't know the meaning of diversity. Go and look it up in a dictionary. Here's a few definitions that I know.    varietymiscellanyassortmentmixturemixmelangerangearraymedley,multiplicity.  Nothing to do with ethnicity.

3 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

You obviously don't know the meaning of diversity. Go and look it up in a dictionary. Here's a few definitions that I know.    varietymiscellanyassortmentmixturemixmelangerangearraymedley,multiplicity.  Nothing to do with ethnicity.

Teasel has courteously apologised for any remarks which may have upset other members, so I think we'll leave it at that if you don't mind.