Modern trend or brand spefic

X Alan W

Featured Posts

22 hours ago, Peter X said:

Technically I've left too because I'm outside the London postal area here, although much of Croydon especially my part is very urban.

But you live in a London Borough (of which there are 33).

I go on the tel number too - 0208 or 0207.

Edited by mark99

Talking of London. I am on the GU and obviously have to go ontut Thames at Brentford to turn right back to civilisation. My question is how far before Brentford can I get my boat on the plane to escape? I realise speed is no problem as all the private boats that have passed me in the last few days have been flatout when I have been moored up..........just askin like. ?

We last went through Brentford a couple of years ago and noted that it is suffering from obvious gentrification. An advantage of this is that, as long as you can handle the prices, there are plenty of places to get an excellent pint or two.

.............Dave

6 hours ago, Peter X said:

mrsmelly, please take your time going through London, unless your personal rain cloud is very localised, as it would be nice if my vegetable patch gets watered while I'm away boating.

Is the River Wandle navigable now? ?

On 10/05/2018 at 15:36, X Alan W said:

Watched a TV program the other night a lady was having a wide beam boat built to live on in or near London The shell was built by Collingwood? near Lliverpool road transport to Suffolk for fitting out & again by road to the GU for launch  My query I noticed the hull only had guard irons at the bow & around the transom (square with rounded corners( & non at all along the hull sides also the anode appeared to be mounted on the widest part of the hull forward of the beginning of the rear swim &the hull didn't appear to have much if any extra base plate flange/lip to stop the anode being knocked off when cruising Do they not bother with guard irons on the hull sides present day? or would this be an unknowing customers request that was not explained to them  just asking as couldn't understand the thinking that went into it .

Would you expect a Hancock & Lane  to have them, because looking at this one for sale on Facebook I cant see any https://www.facebook.com/groups/NarrowboatOwnersGroup/permalink/2091846644426946/

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Would you expect a Hancock & Lane  to have them, because looking at this one for sale on Facebook I cant see any https://www.facebook.com/groups/NarrowboatOwnersGroup/permalink/2091846644426946/

If it's the boat with the blue top it has one full length guard The owner is entitled to do as they wish its just a easier better way ( in my opinion ) to protect the side plating from damage/wear I know that modern leisure boating is a different deal to commercial carrying so possibly the build will differ my take was it seemed a large area of possibly 6mm plate with no outer protection but as said if the boats not moving any/or much they would not be required

And Harrow Harringay  Hayes  and harlington. All are unpleasant and are in lunun. I wouldn't bother. We are on the outskirts of Oxford currently. Lunun permeates. Already been asked by dodgy looking types if I have any scrap batteries for sale, and do we know the people on the next boat...

On 13/05/2018 at 10:15, rusty69 said:

You won't get you're boat on a plane, unless its a super guppy (that's a fish) 

1200px-Super_Guppy_N941_NASA_landing_(crop).jpg

The Guppy's regular run is Houghton UK to Blagnac (Toulouse ) with sets of Mainplanes (Wings) for Air Bus industries did the trip back & forth many times in my years of working for ABI