Modern trend or brand spefic

X Alan W

Featured Posts

I saw a little bit of the programme and read a couple of articles in the press.

Allegedly she is an advertising executive on a salary of £100k plus but can’t afford to buy a property in London.  Her moorings are £8k, the boat cost £180k and she had to take out a personal loan to get it built.  For me the figures didn’t add up but it’s her choice and yes I  suspect it will ever leave the marina whilst she owns it.

As they say I suppose it’s whateer floats your boat ?

4 hours ago, Dartagnan said:

But not everyone wants to be a carrot cruncher. ?

I realise you have an aversion to London for whatever particular reason or reasons but for some people needs must.

(no offence intended to the carrot ?)

London simply doesnt make sense to the average Joe Bloggs. For instance average salary London 2017 was about 35k average semi detached house price 575K..................Pick any other city and do the sums..........Lets say Leicester Average salary 23K average semi in 2017 190k.............just do the maths. You could of course live in London and pay a grand a month rent on some slum flat :blink: or bedsit? The best  thing about London is there are plenty of roads OUT of it. :cheers:

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Happy 1

25 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The best  thing about London is there are plenty of roads OUT of it. :cheers:

In my salad days I lived in London for several years, mainly in W.1, and loved it. These days, however, I would agree with you.

23 hours ago, Athy said:

Thanks for that information. Rubbing strake is a more accurately descriptive term - especially on modern boats where these items will be made of steel, not iron.

I'm very sorry to confuse the modern day boater but with me it's a bit like my non first language I revert to my boating days & use the then quoted terms  Ie guards /guard Irons for rubbing strakes I tend to forget it's getting 50 years since I ceased full time boating & 65 since I first  set foot on  working narrow boats to be in charge of 2 boats 1 sans motor in what appeared & was narrow /shallow stretches of junk filled water

Just now, X Alan W said:

I'm very sorry to confuse the modern day boater but with me it's a bit like my non first language I revert to my boating days & use the then quoted terms  Ie guards /guard Irons for rubbing strakes I tend to forget it's getting 50 years since I ceased full time boating & 65 since I first  set foot on  working narrow boats to be in charge of 2 boats 1 sans motor in what appeared & was narrow /shallow stretches of junk filled water

You're entirely justified in using the expression. I bet you still use feet and inches too (as I do)!

1 minute ago, Athy said:

You're entirely justified in using the expression. I bet you still use feet and inches too (as I do)!

Nope been a metric measurement man since the early 70's I adopt my neighbors way of measuring 25 centimeters & 6 little uns mm

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Nearly said something I shouldn't then (why has my smilie gone skinny and lost its sun tan?) 

1 hour ago, X Alan W said:

That's cool. I learnt (learned?) something today. I will now call 'em guard irons.

1 minute ago, Ssscrudddy said:

learnt (learned?) 

They’re both correct but I think ‘learned’ is far nicer on the ear. Same with ‘lent’ and ‘loaned’. 

I think broadly speaking rubbing strakes are what you have on wooden boats and latterly fibreglass boats. They are generally made of wood, sometimes aluminium with rubber inserts. 

Guard irons are made from iron or steel and found generally on narrow boats of wood, iron or steel construction. I dunno what Sea Otters have. Guard aloominums perhaps?

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think broadly speaking rubbing strakes are what you have on wooden boats and latterly fibreglass boats. They are generally made of wood, sometimes aluminium with rubber inserts. 

Guard irons are made from iron or steel and found generally on narrow boats of wood, iron or steel construction. I dunno what Sea Otters have. Guard aloominums perhaps?

Rubbers

6 hours ago, Athy said:

In my salad days I lived in London for several years, mainly in W.1, and loved it. These days, however, I would agree with you.

Currently in London. This is my third time here and a year and a half in for my third stint. For all the strange bitterness or sour grapes or just plain dislike of the capital, it's a city that is very hard to beat.

Of course it's busy and crowded and all that but it's a capital city and they're all like this. I've lived in quite a few of them. But whatever you're into - be that music, sport, food, arts, history, shopping - it's either here or close by and usually the best you'll find almost anywhere.

I think it's still an amazing city and while I certainly won't be here forever or even in a few years time, I'm going to continue enjoying everything this amazing city has to offer.

I think the "strange bitterness" is largely occasioned by the very high cost of property and accommodation in London which, as noted elsewhere, has risen by more than salaries and wages have over the past decade or more.

I certainly revelled in its attractions during my tenure there, being young, single (at first) and earning a good salary. I worked hard and played hard; in particular, I rarely missed the numerous American blues artists who used to appear at the 100 Club back then. Nowadays, Mrs. Athy and I only occasionally venture down there, typically we go to a theatre matinée and then to a gig, staying overnight in a hotel because it would be impossible to get home late at night. Then it's back to the leafy and watery Fens.

When I moved out of London to take up a prep school post in Bletchingley in rural Surrey, it was as if a safety valve had been released inside me. I hadn't realised how pressurised London life was until I got away from it.

Edited by Athy

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What is the origin of that aphorism "Tired of London, tired of life"?

The 18th century writer and lexicographer Samuel Johnson: "Wnen a man is tired of London, he is tired of life". Mind you, the traffic wasn't so bad in those days and the trains were never late.

Edited by Athy

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

The 18th century writer and lexicographer Samuel Johnson

There was me about to reply ‘wasn't it Samuel Pepys?’

Edited by Athy

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

The 18th century writer and lexicographer Samuel Johnson: "Wnen a man is tired of London, he is tired of life". Mind you, the traffic wasn't so bad in those days and the trains were never late.

I knew that ;)

Thanks. I think he was right however, notwithstanding the punctuality of his train service. 

Edited by Athy

I get the impression that traffic in London was always bad, it's just the nature of it that changes. It's busy, that's what you get in a big city, people come to it from everywhere (Samuel Johnson came from Lichfield) and leave it to everywhere too. Lots of people born in London move out, e.g. the East Enders tend to move to Essex. Technically I've left too because I'm outside the London postal area here, although much of Croydon especially my part is very urban.

Semi-detached houses are an odd thing to compare, as they're pretty rare in inner London, although there are lots out in the suburbs. But any way you look at it housing costs much more than most of the country, although I suspect that anyone earning £100K who claims they can't buy a house in London is being very picky about their definition of London.

1 minute ago, Peter X said:

I suspect that anyone earning £100K who claims they can't buy a house in London is being very picky about their definition of London.

.....or very profligate in their personal expenditure!

4 hours ago, Peter X said:

I suspect that anyone earning £100K who claims they can't buy a house in London is being very picky about their definition of London.

I bought my first flat in London 11 years ago.  I had a good deposit - 32.5% - and my (approx) £30k salary at the time serviced an interest-only mortgage.  So a £100k salary should fund a reasonable home IF the lady concerned had a deposit.  If not, maybe it was possible to finance the boat 100%, but no such mortgage was available?  (Didn't see the programme, which might have covered the decision making reasons)

17 hours ago, Marshian said:

I bought my first flat in London 11 years ago.  I had a good deposit - 32.5% - and my (approx) £30k salary at the time serviced an interest-only mortgage.  So a £100k salary should fund a reasonable home IF the lady concerned had a deposit.  If not, maybe it was possible to finance the boat 100%, but no such mortgage was available?  (Didn't see the programme, which might have covered the decision making reasons)

As far as the impression I got from the program she had an overwhelming desire to live afloat but seemed to err more towards a house on water rather than boat living with the ability to properly cruise

Edited by X Alan W