Modern trend or brand spefic

X Alan W

Featured Posts

Watched a TV program the other night a lady was having a wide beam boat built to live on in or near London The shell was built by Collingwood? near Lliverpool road transport to Suffolk for fitting out & again by road to the GU for launch  My query I noticed the hull only had guard irons at the bow & around the transom (square with rounded corners( & non at all along the hull sides also the anode appeared to be mounted on the widest part of the hull forward of the beginning of the rear swim &the hull didn't appear to have much if any extra base plate flange/lip to stop the anode being knocked off when cruising Do they not bother with guard irons on the hull sides present day? or would this be an unknowing customers request that was not explained to them  just asking as couldn't understand the thinking that went into it .

I saw the programme. They did about 10 miles on the canal with it and its now in a marina where methinks it will stay until some other dreamer buys it from the first dreamer after they realise reality. Doubt it will ever move far again so nothing will be knocked off the hull.

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I saw the programme. They did about 10 miles on the canal with it and its now in a marina where methinks it will stay until some other dreamer buys it from the first dreamer after they realise reality. Doubt it will ever move far again so nothing will be knocked off the hull.

You are probably correct not the sort of craft you wan't to take down the pub for a quick blast The copper pipe in the bathroom/ shower will be worth a bob or two when it gets sold ☺️

• Happy 1

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

It was part of a series called My Floating Home, on one of the commercial stations I think.

Damn, that means having to sit through interminable adverts on the player. So I may not bother.

Was hoping it would be iPlayer.

Seven episodes here...  http://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-floating-home/on-demand/62243-001

Edited by Lily Rose
Link to All4 added

1 hour ago, X Alan W said:

Watched a TV program the other night a lady was having a wide beam boat built to live on in or near London The shell was built by Collingwood? near Lliverpool road transport to Suffolk for fitting out & again by road to the GU for launch  My query I noticed the hull only had guard irons at the bow & around the transom (square with rounded corners( & non at all along the hull sides also the anode appeared to be mounted on the widest part of the hull forward of the beginning of the rear swim &the hull didn't appear to have much if any extra base plate flange/lip to stop the anode being knocked off when cruising Do they not bother with guard irons on the hull sides present day? or would this be an unknowing customers request that was not explained to them  just asking as couldn't understand the thinking that went into it .

You get what you specify and what you pay for.

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You get what you specify and what you pay for.

Yes I realise that but in my days of boating a boat even new builds the standard spec included at least a couple of guard irons full length down each side & four or more on bow & sternto prevent damage to the side plating Suppose if as said it doesn't go any place it doesn't need them

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Are "guard irons" synonymous with rubbing strakes?

and sometimes called D Sections.

Guard Iron is the proper name but most people say rubbing strake, I think correctly a rubbing strake is made of rubber and fitted to a plastic sailing boat but I could well be wrong. Guard Iron sounds much nicer don't you think.

..............Dave

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

I only saw the last few seconds of this programme, and as left with the impression of a very unattractive boat that was probably going to stay in, I think, Harefield?

Which do not allow livaboards. So more my floating ...... something apposite.

20 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Yes I realise that but in my days of boating a boat even new builds the standard spec included at least a couple of guard irons full length down each side & four or more on bow & sternto prevent damage to the side plating Suppose if as said it doesn't go any place it doesn't need them

Quite a lot of boats appear to have only a single full length guard iron, plus an extra one or two shorter ones at the front. I was once told that the larger number of guard irons, full length and front, was one of the distinguishing features of Colecrafts.  The boats with only a single full length guard iron do look wrong to my eye.

............Dave

There was a full spread review in the Times earlier this week which started on the lines of "Where else could you get a home for .... within a short commute of Central London." and referenced the program. It seemed to my untutored eye factual and included costs of berthing, licence and blacking (although if it never moves...).

I thought at the time the article would be a magnet for the "me too" brigade who want a high profile, high salary job in London then realise they can't afford the high profile, high price two bed bedsit to go with it. (and if you detect sour grapes from a regular ninety minute each way commute and a five grand season ticket you won't be far from the mark)

5 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

There was a full spread review in the Times earlier this week which started on the lines of "Where else could you get a home for .... within a short commute of Central London." and referenced the program. It seemed to my untutored eye factual and included costs of berthing, licence and blacking (although if it never moves...).

I thought at the time the article would be a magnet for the "me too" brigade who want a high profile, high salary job in London then realise they can't afford the high profile, high price two bed bedsit to go with it. (and if you detect sour grapes from a regular ninety minute each way commute and a five grand season ticket you won't be far from the mark)

Other cities and jobs are available :D

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

True.

I lived and worked in London.

Then I lived outside London and commuted in.

Then I moved away altogether to live in a town and work on the edge of a small city with a 5 mile commute.

I know which I preferred (hint - it wasn't the 1st. Or the 2nd).

Mind you, getting a very generously-funded relocation package, under so-called compulsory transfer terms, from my employer helped enormously. And there's no denying that, for many, the big bucks jobs are more easily come by in the smoke. But what price quality of life?

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Quite agree - and if I wasn't looking at retirement in the next twelve months I might look for one.

But when I started the commute I accepted it as part of the deal for a house costing ~ a quarter for what I'd pay "in the smoke". Plus having open fields a few hundred yards away to walk the dog. And what I generally view as a better quality of life.

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

Quite agree - and if I wasn't looking at retirement in the next twelve months I might look for one.

But when I started the commute I accepted it as part of the deal for a house costing ~ a quarter for what I'd pay "in the smoke". Plus having open fields a few hundred yards away to walk the dog. And what I generally view as a better quality of life.

One of my kids lived and worked in London and paid ludicrous rents for a VERY ordinary house...........I as you  can expect used to rib her and her husband about it. After a few years he moved within the same company on the same salary to Bristol. So he gets just the same money but now over the last few years have about paid for a VERY nice large detached bungalow with the south west on their doorstep having paid hugely less in mortgage repayments than they were paying in rent for nowt in London. It realy is a no brainer.

7 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

Not so bad when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, makes it more bearable.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It realy is a no brainer.

If you can get it.

I consider myself quite lucky to have been in the right place at the right time to have been able to get compulsory transfer terms. It was only because the small business unit that was being set, which I was involved in right from the start, was being located in Oxford simply because the new general manager lived in the area.

Not everyone gets luck like that. But it's worth keeping an eye out for opportunities if they might result in moving away from London at some point.

Edited by Lily Rose
Bloody auto-(in)correct!

I was lucky as well but in the opposite direction - I worked in Milton Keynes and the job re-located to London. When I did the maths housing very quickly got stupidly expensive as you got nearer London and commute time didn't really reduce until you got a lot closer. Leighton Buzzard was houses twice the price to reduce the commute from 90 to sixty minutes each way. Watford was three times the price to trim another ten or fifteen minutes off. What I did manage was to negotiate a relocation package that amounted to "pay my season ticket after tax" as well as the increase for working in London. So I've got a long commute in my own time but I'm not financially worse off for it. And there are worse commutes than 50 minutes snoozing on a train or reading the times / CWF.

13 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

If you can get it.

I consider myself quite lucky to have been in the right place at the right time to have been able to get compulsory transfer terms. It was only because the small business unit that was being set, which I was involved in right from the start, was being located in Oxford simply because the new general manager lived in the area.

Not everyone gets luck like that. But it's worth keeping an eye out for opportunities if they might result in moving away from London at some point.

We are crying out for engineers at the moment. Can't get them as we are in the forgotten North rather then that there London.

18 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

But not everyone wants to be a carrot cruncher. ?

I realise you have an aversion to London for whatever particular reason or reasons but for some people needs must.

(no offence intended to the carrot ?)