Self pump out kit

Tivvyhatter

Featured Posts

Does anybody have any experience/ recommendations for an electric powered pump out kit?

We have an end of garden mooring and are wanting to set up our own pump out facility to go down the existing foul water drainage system.

Thanks in advance! 

Had one once, used it once and sold it once. It was efficient with the effluent but just too much hassle. It wasn't an electric one but handdraulic.

Having said that if you have access to sewage pipes, not a bad idea.

We've used both the LeeSan manual and electric kits. They are quite effective but make sure you have good cables to the electric one and keep the engine running or shoreline charger on whilst using it to get the best voltage at the pump.

I have a Lee SAN self pump out though I haven’t used it.  It came with the boat which is 24v/240v.  All I can say is that the motor to power it is huge dimension wise.

if you wouldn’t mind posting your address I wouldn’t mind passing bye one day and using your sewer to test it out.   ?

9 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Grahame, you've posted 350+ posts!!

I know but when I tried to reply to his message it bounced. I was in a hurry so may have done something silly. Looking at it now I see that I sent the email to somewhere called No Reply. I'm not very techy! 

9 hours ago, bizzard said:

I think that is the self pumpout gear that I made up for Grahame. 

It was indeed, I mentioned this in my PM to the OP but as he's new to the forum he probably doesn't know of your reputation. I didn't mention the super-hyper-composting loop you cleverly inserted into the output so the giant vegetables with their triffid-like properties which will shortly be emerging from the Cheshire sewers will come as quite a surprise!   

I have a hand powered self pump out for emergencies and it’s very efficient filling a 20 litre container in about a minute 

I wouldn’t want to empty the whole tank with it but the point is you don’t need a massive powerful pump. One marina I visited had a machine mart 1” self priming pump (mains powered obviously) which is what started me looking at making my own. Think they are about 60 quid or so frommachine mart then you’d have to buy some hose and fittings say another 30 quid or you can pay Lee san 400+ 

What you will find useful is a 1.5 BSP male to male fitting to screw in your pumpout fitting then connect you suction hose to it. Lee san do a clear plastic one which means you can visually see the pump is working and when the tank is empty

Hi

We have a pump out tank on our boat and last week found ourselves with it full on the Leek Branch of the Caldon Canal. Thankfully we had a CRT card for the self pump out on the Caldon Canal. I did speak with an other narrowboat owner who had a manual self pump out which he pumped into a 25lt container. 

I have spoken with Midland Chandlers at Preston Brook who put a kit together for around £150.00. The manual pump is around £72.00. 

I would be interested in seeing any photo of the manual set up anyone has.

Where do you store the pump and pipework?

Any advise before I go down the route of buying a manual or electric pump / set up?

Thanks

Last week 

Edited by Steve Manc
To add Preston Brook

9 hours ago, Steve Manc said:

Hi

We have a pump out tank on our boat and last week found ourselves with it full on the Leek Branch of the Caldon Canal. Thankfully we had a CRT card for the self pump out on the Caldon Canal. I did speak with an other narrowboat owner who had a manual self pump out which he pumped into a 25lt container. 

I have spoken with Midland Chandlers at Preston Brook who put a kit together for around £150.00. The manual pump is around £72.00. 

I would be interested in seeing any photo of the manual set up anyone has.

Where do you store the pump and pipework?

Any advise before I go down the route of buying a manual or electric pump / set up?

Thanks

Last week 

Hi Steve,

That is a very reasonable price from Midland Chandlers, for either version!

Our kit, when sourced, will be largely based at our mooring on the trent and Mersey as we can go for at least 2 to 3 weeks without having to pump out. If we were to take it with us on an extended cruise, I guess I'd keep it in the engine bay (cruiser stern).

I will endeavour to wrap up this thread with a full account of what we've gone for hopefully with some pics.

Cheers!

Tivvyhatter

• Happy 1

On 10/05/2018 at 15:33, Nightwatch said:

Had one once, used it once and sold it once. It was efficient with the effluent but just too much hassle. It wasn't an electric one but handdraulic.

Having said that if you have access to sewage pipes, not a bad idea.

I think if I had a garden mooring I would rig a mains powered one up it would make sense. Carrying any sort of self pump out kit onboard simply aint never gonna happen. Along with brass polishing life is simply too short innitt.