FRIDGE SETTING

Featured Posts

This will sound silly, but stay with me. I have a new 12v Waeco CRX80 fridge. There is a press button setting for the temperature but it is not clear what the setting should be. The manual says:

Press the temperature selection button to set the temperature to one of
four levels between “cool” and “very cold”.
The number of LEDs which light up above the temperature selection button
indicate the temperature range:
– 1 = cool
– …
– 4 = very cold

But on my fridge only one LED lights up at a time. So is the coldest setting the top LED (the smallest) or is the coldest setting the bottom LED (the biggest)?

I will go for trial and error, unless anyone can tell me the answer.

Basil

Get a fridge thermometer and see what each setting of LED's actually does. Find the setting that gives the recommended temperature for safe food preservation. Might save draining your batteries if that turns out to be 1, rather than 4. An example. Plenty of cheaper ones around. Without measurements you know nothing, to sort of quote Lord Kelvin.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Almost certainly the top light will be the warmest setting.

To confirm this, just set it for that, then let it run until the thermostat cuts out and the motor stops. Wait a minute or so then adjust it so the bottom light illuminates.

If the motor then starts up again, this will confirm the above is correct.

If it does not start the motor, then it is the reverse. i.e. the the top light is the coldest setting (most unlikely tho).

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Get a fridge thermometer and see what each setting of LED's actually does. Find the setting that gives the recommended temperature for safe food preservation. Might save draining your batteries if that turns out to be 1, rather than 4. An example. Plenty of cheaper ones around. Without measurements you know nothing, to sort of quote Lord Kelvin.

Jen

Absolutely, you need these we bought 2 together one for the freezer and one for the fridge https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071NMDTB2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

When I go shopping, especially if the engine is running, our fridge/freezer gets turned up to the highest setting in preparation for the (warmer?) food. It stays at the highest setting for about 24 hours (though we have turned it down before going to bed to be kind to the batteries)

If you read the manual carefully  manual linky you will see that the 'set' button cycles from 1 (cool) to 4 (very cold) and then reverts to 1. The sequence is therefore 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4... so you can easily tell which is 1 and which is 4!

3 hours ago, Rebotco said:

Almost certainly the top light will be the warmest setting.

To confirm this, just set it for that, then let it run until the thermostat cuts out and the motor stops. Wait a minute or so then adjust it so the bottom light illuminates.

If the motor then starts up again, this will confirm the above is correct.

If it does not start the motor, then it is the reverse. i.e. the the top light is the coldest setting (most unlikely tho).

No need for that palaver - see above!

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

I think we can get a bit carried away about 'food safety' in general. Stuff that is 'off' can almost always be detected by odour. Cooking things properly is usually a good way to klil nasties.

7 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I think we can get a bit carried away about 'food safety' in general.

It's not just about 'food safety' It's also about how long things last before they go off. I live alone and I hate shopping so I want to know that if I buy something it it's going to last as long as it says it will or the fridge is pointless.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I think we can get a bit carried away about 'food safety' in general. Stuff that is 'off' can almost always be detected by odour. Cooking things properly is usually a good way to klil nasties.

I was thinking Amp hours from the batteries, rather than food poisoning. If a setting of 1 on the OP's fridge will give an internal temperature of 5C which is perfectly adequate, then using a setting of 4, which might take it down a couple more degrees is pointless and just wastes power. You don't know unless you measure it and thermometers can be picked up for a few quid. An electric fridge is often the biggest single drain on a boats batteries, so any savings are a good thing.

Jen

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Oooh, oooh... common sense!

Sod the ‘use by’ date, how does it smell?