'safe' mooring Leeds Liverpool. Barrowford Locks on

sooty

Featured Posts

Hi, currently doing the Leeds Liverpool (from Leeds)

Can anyone suggest a safe place to moor  from the bottom of Barrowford Locks to Burnley.

We need to leave the boat for a bit / pick up visitors when in this area.

Or anywhere to avoid!

Thank you for any input.

• Greenie 1

Must admit I moored each side of Burnley, outside the section you are asking about. Foulridge and Hapton, which were fine. Foulridge for several days. Hapton overnight. This was six years ago. In between didn't inspire confidence. Blackburn looked worse!

Jen

Reedley marina as previously posted would be ok but obviously at a cost, but you would be fine nearby on the towpath side opposite the marina or just past it on the marina side( have a word with them).

rosegrove is fine too but a couple of weeks ago there wasn't much room as there seemed to be a couple of boats in residence presumably they will have moved on though by now.

hapton visitor moorings are ok too. 

Edited by jonathanA

9 hours ago, 8 Hairy Feet said:

Hey I've stayed on Burnley Wharf outside the

pub ...it was fine even on a Saturday night(early Spring).

There is also the strange visitor centre on The Weavers

Triangle to see..

Except the Inn on the Wharf is currently shut - and has been for months.  We found this out last week on the way up to Skipton.

Still OK to moor there though, but usually we do Rose Grove if dawdling round there.

Eanam Wharf in Blackburn is a place to aim for, not avoid - try the food at Calypso restaurant on the wharf itself.  Very boat & boater friendly.

We have moored near Reedly Marina on a couple of occasions recently with no problem.  The best place is towpath side just before the canal footbridge on the Leeds side of the marina entrance.  As an alternative, I was recently at the Rosegrove services for some volocky training and these are fine too. The view is not brilliant but the moorings are safe as the compound is locked at night. There are showers etc and take away/convenience stores within easy reach.

On 10/05/2018 at 17:24, TheBiscuits said:

Except the Inn on the Wharf is currently shut - and has been for months.  We found this out last week on the way up to Skipton.

Still OK to moor there though, but usually we do Rose Grove if dawdling round there.

Eanam Wharf in Blackburn is a place to aim for, not avoid - try the food at Calypso restaurant on the wharf itself.  Very boat & boater friendly.

Thanks for that recommendation, we have just had the chefs selection for 2 and a bottle of wine for £40  bit worrying when the fire brigade  pulled up outside the boat with the blue lights going but it was the house at the other end of the wharf. The gates on the wharf front are now closed so no passing folk, we are outside the gated area. there is also a caravan on the car park and it has all its windows so must be OK. I hope it works out so we can stop here on the way back.

On 11/05/2018 at 20:31, ditchcrawler said:

Thanks for that recommendation, we have just had the chefs selection for 2 and a bottle of wine for £40  bit worrying when the fire brigade  pulled up outside the boat with the blue lights going but it was the house at the other end of the wharf. The gates on the wharf front are now closed so no passing folk, we are outside the gated area. there is also a caravan on the car park and it has all its windows so must be OK. I hope it works out so we can stop here on the way back.

Well the boat was still in one piece this morning  but I will think twice before mooring there again. Not because of the drunks, druggies, people fighting, police car sirens,kids on motorbikes but the bloody Canada Geese, they kicked off just before dawn and you have never heard such a racket through until about 7-30  I must have got about 4 hours sleep I think

On 09/05/2018 at 23:22, sooty said:

Thank you for your replies. 

Reedly marina want to charge £30 a night ! (plus electric)  ? 

Good Grief that’s over 10 grand a year. Their website says 10 quid/night for narrow boats and given there are a few berths free you would have thought they’d be happy for a bit of extra income 

there have been some changes to staff recently and some strange ideas ....

17 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Good Grief that’s over 10 grand a year. Their website says 10 quid/night for narrow boats and given there are a few berths free you would have thought they’d be happy for a bit of extra income 

there have been some changes to staff recently and some strange ideas ....

I have just emailed them about diesel,it looks a reasonable price if its correct

Thanks again for the comments.

Re Reedley Marina it quotes £20 night on website for widebeams (we are 9 ' 6") but have quoted me £30 a night ?

So .... no thanks.

We have decided on foulridge moorings just before the tunnel but does anyone know how long you can stay there??

Cheers

35 minutes ago, sooty said:

Re Reedley Marina it quotes £20 night on website for widebeams (we are 9 ' 6") but have quoted me £30 a night ?

So .... no thanks.

We have decided on foulridge moorings just before the tunnel but does anyone know how long you can stay there??

Cheers

North of the tunnel I think is 72 hrs

23 hours ago, jonathanA said:

I think it’s 75p at the moment and you can declare what you want. Usually reasonably priced. 

Closed sundays

lower park marina a bit further towards Leeds is usually reasonable too 

Thanks, we passed Reedley this morning but will be coming back this way, not reached Lower Park yet, that should be tomorrow. We are at Barrowford tonight below the locks. It looks good moorings above the locks with the club opposite 

1 hour ago, sooty said:

So .... no thanks.

Cheers

We have found it very shallow on the Foulridge side of the tunnel, even on the official pontoons/moorings. If it were me I would go through the tunnel and then on another 10 minutes to the moorings above the Barrowford top lock where there was plenty of room when we came through a couple of weeks ago.

Just now, Nick D said:

We have found it very shallow on the Foulridge side of the tunnel, even on the official pontoons/moorings. If it were me I would go through the tunnel and then on another 10 minutes to the moorings above the Barrowford top lock where there was plenty of room when we came through a couple of weeks ago.

Walked up there this evening and it looks good, also looks as if a CRT chap lives in the lock cottage.

Yes the moorings above barrow ford locks are good moorings waterpoint and basic sanitary station. Think they are 14 day and safe as plenty of people about. 

There are some moorings east of the tunnel, I think 14 day once you get past the water point. Again I’d think pretty safe 

a bit further up good moorings at salterforth not sure what the current stare of the Anchor pub is but moorings outside the pub too. 

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Walked up there this evening and it looks good, also looks as if a CRT chap lives in the lock cottage.

Not sure - the lock cottage was rented out to a definite non canal type a year or so ago.  I know because I had to knock on his door to get him to move his car to out of the way of the balence  beam so I could open lock gate

CRT do have a little base at one end of the building and the little ice cream  shop closed 7 or 8 years ago. 

Edited by jonathanA

1 minute ago, jonathanA said:

Not sure - the lock cottage was rented out to a definite non canal type a year or so ago.  I know because I had to knock on his door to get him to move his car to out of the way of the balence  beam ! 

CRT do have a little base at one end of the building and the little ice cream  shop closed 7 or 8 years ago. 

Yes, the house was bought by a couple of architects last year apparently. No link to the canal. The lockies have access to a small building adjoining the house.

On 13/05/2018 at 23:27, Nick D said:

Yes, the house was bought by a couple of architects last year apparently. No link to the canal. The lockies have access to a small building adjoining the house.

OK it was just that there was a CRT pickup there in the evening, not during the day. It also looks as if the first boat on the offside is just off the club mooring and liver aboard, so someone about.