District enforcement mooring fine Reading

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Yes - it's the 5 hour moorings that equate to the Coal moorings? The rest are let out on contract (AFAIK) so don't 'suffer' from occasional moorers? I'm on shaky ground as we don't stop in the town.

Yup. Mill Meadow is run directly by Henley Town Council , the rest are Contracted out to SRB Moorings who have run them for Yonks.

1 minute ago, cereal tiller said:

Yup. Mill Meadow is run directly by Henley Town Council , the rest are Contracted out to SRB Moorings who have run them for Yonks.

Lordy, lordy that Steve bloke gets everywhere...

Still he'd make a better job of running the show than the other mob.....

(insert cheeky emoticon here)

Do they offer free moorings for 'Disabled Badge' holders? as a lot of car parks do allow it. If they do not is that discrimination?

CART have dedicated disabled moorings in some places (Banbury springs to mind) so why not EA or RBC?

Cheers

David

10 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Surely, if they do, that IS discrimination!

Some car parks allow free parking and dedicated spaces to badge holders, others offer only the dedicated spaces with normal car park rates. It depends on the individual car park owner. Surely Henley who ask for you to pay at a car park machine must apply the same rules to boats and cars. What are Henley's and Reading's policy, anyone know?

Cheers

David.

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

The bottom line is Reading Council and residents don't want boats moored in reading. Reading is not a tourist destination like Henley where they attract visitors and good press.

That is true, but it seems to be Reading council that are saying the want to keep in step with Henley, so that being the case they do pwehaps want moored boats as that I would say in a major feature of Henley.

It seems Reading only want the Money of Henley without the boats (or at least the long term ones)

they do seem to be cherry picking their charges, i.e. the highest locally for overnight & the highest locally for a short stop during the day (completely ignoring that the highest overnight also offers free short stops during the day)

Edited by Jess--

I think for a lot of the EA moorings (and a few others) use a firm called Thames Valley Moorings have been given the responsibility of collecting fees over the phone or internet (self-declaration). I spoke with them about moorings in another area and I think they are a small family team, but unlike District Enforcement, they are pleasant and very helpful.

Why an important Thameside town like Reading doesn't use them I can't understand. It couldn't be that they are more interested in keeping mooring to a minimum in the Borough could it????

Edited by Rosslynx
spelling

21 minutes ago, Rosslynx said:

Why an important Thameside town like Reading doesn't use them I can't understand. It couldn't be that they are more interested in keeping mooring to a minimum in the Borough could it????

I think it is because Reading council have been driven to distraction by piss-taking continuous moorers for years, so feel the need to be heavy handed. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think it is because Reading council have been driven to distraction by piss-taking continuous moorers for years, so feel the need to be heavy handed. 

Surely it isn't beyond the wit of man (remember as the old saying goes man embraces women so don't complain I am being sexist) to be heavy handed yet reasonable and friendly to those who aren't extracting the urine.

25 minutes ago, Rosslynx said:

I think for a lot of the EA moorings (and a few others) use a firm called Thames Valley Moorings have been given the responsibility of collecting fees over the phone or internet (self-declaration). I spoke with them about moorings in another area and I think they are a small family team, but unlike District Enforcement, they are pleasant and very helpful.

It's Thames Visitor Moorings actually (sorry to be pedantic)

https://www.thamesvisitormoorings.co.uk

and has an excellent website - which has been copied badly by somebody else. At the moment it's limited to EA owned moorings only

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

DE are already managing other Reading car parks, so presumably have staff on hand whereas TVM is for boating related sites only

Thanks OldGoat for the correction (I hate to get things wrong!)  Thames Visitor Moorings were very polite and helpful when I called them.

There's no reason why District Enforcement couldn't also adopt a helpful attitude if they wanted to and if it was important to them - but the threatening signage and rude response to telephone enquiries suggests they have another agenda. 

26 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

It's Thames Visitor Moorings actually (sorry to be pedantic)

https://www.thamesvisitormoorings.co.uk

and has an excellent website - which has been copied badly by somebody else. At the moment it's limited to EA owned moorings only

DE are already managing other Reading car parks, so presumably have staff on hand whereas TVM is for boating related sites only

TVM do also manage two sites in Kingston - Charter Quay and Riverside.  There, they don't have to use the EA signage and the signage is very welcoming and friendly - nothing like the Green Signs.

I'm interested in what you say about the two websites - I'd heard people talking about it and I've had a good look and it does look like the Where2Moor site has just been copied from TVM. That just about sums up the integrity of the Ethical Carparking Company. If proven, I wonder what the implications of Reading and HC Palace using a copied website to obtain money is????

Any copyright lawyers out there?

Through out this thread there has been a number of posts generally supportive of the TVM EA approach. I share in that general support. 

Reading Council halve taken a different approach albeit, as their recent long reply has shown, to address what the perceived to be a real problem with illegal mooring.

I would hope that now that they have addressed the major problem they would be amiable to reviewing their current procedures so that the long term temporary and visitor mooring issues could be addressed in such a way that all user parties could work with them. 

As the TVM EA model is in place and is generally found to be acceptable I would hope that Reading Council might seriously consider adopting the same model for their moorings. That way at least there would be a consistent mooring policy along the Thames and they would have the chance of temp and visitor moorers being able to work with them on introducing and sustaining a long term policy. 

Basically the heavy handed phase of the operation should be ended as objective appears to of been met. A new approach, which ideally would be consistent with all other Thames moorings, should be introduced. As the TVM EA model is generally seen to be a workable solution then perhaps they would consider introducing the same scheme. Everyone would then at least know where they stand. 

Edited by reg

In Goring 300yds below lock on right hand side it said to put £10:00 in envelope and put it in letterbox which was attached to a large fenced off house, it said all monies went to charity. The site previously ( I thought)  was a EA site.

• 2 weeks later...

" in Goring 300yds below lock on right hand side it said to put £10:00 in envelope and put it in letterbox which was attached to a large fenced off house, it said all monies went to charity. The site previously ( I thought)  was a EA site. "

I think the place you are refering to is in Sonning. It was Uri Gellars old house and he apparantley gave the money to a local dogs charity. He has since moved, and funnily enough the new owner has pass over the collection of moorings fees to...

...the same company that run the moorings at Reading.

Edited by thames s23

• 4 years later...