District enforcement mooring fine Reading

Featured Posts

I think this has come about as LTM ers were concerned that people were shipping up and using moorings without paying,  I know of at least 2 people who complained to CRT (one at Tuttle Hill).

As BW and now CRT have left empty spaces due to the removal of moorings agreement with NAA marinas, this problem has  occurred more, and this is their draconian way of dealing with it.

22 hours ago, john6767 said:

Whilst I don’t exactly relish the idea of cowboys like this being involved, in the CRT case this is only on long term mooring as far as I see it, am I wrong?  So as long as you don’t moor on an empty long term mooring you are fine.  In the EA case at Reading it prevents you stopping at all to do shopping etc, so has impact on all passing boaters.

There are many ways of skinning a cat (as they say!) but this is about the most offensive language I have seen. It would make most people frightened to moor (or park their car when used or that purpose) Especially when introduced into was had hitherto been a fairly laid back world. There have been some well known difficult cases but, as has been reported on the K&A, actually persistent efforts by CaRT staff have made a considerable difference without recourse to this kind of language. Makes the approach that Nigel M finds so problematic to be almost benign!

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

As BW and now CRT have left empty spaces due to the removal of moorings agreement with NAA marinas, this problem has  occurred more, and this is their draconian way of dealing with it.

Surely if BW/CRT have permanently removed the long term moorings the space released should revert to standard 14 day towpath moorings.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Surely if BW/CRT have permanently removed the long term moorings the space released should revert to standard 14 day towpath moorings.

Most LTM with lots of spaces are on the offside, I know there is a space at Braunston stop house LTM as I always use it late on because it annoys the guy who has put laminated notices along the stretch.

• Greenie 4

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Most LTM with lots of spaces are on the offside, I know there is a space at Braunston stop house LTM as I always use it late on because it annoys the guy who has put laminated notices along the stretch.

I saw those today and noticed they carry the CRT logo. It crossed my mind that despite the logo they looked pretty amateurish and not the sort of signs CRT would put up. 

The Toll House staff keep telling him to take them down and he keeps sticking them back up again,  across the whole stretch. He even locks his bike to the fence next to the vacant mooring to make it look like someone's coming back shortly  (which is what he will tell you in the first conversation).

It's quite funny actually,  I have now moored 5 boats late on on that mooring including old friends 3 times and he always comes out with the same story??

Edited by matty40s

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

The Toll House staff keep telling him to take them down and he keeps sticking them back up again,  across the whole stretch. He even locks his bike to the fence next to the vacant mooring to make it look like someone's coming back shortly  (which is what he will tell you in the first conversation).

It's quite funny actually,  I have now moored 5 boats late on on that mooring including old friends 3 times and he always comes out with the same story??

If Carlsberg did prats......

13 hours ago, reg said:

They do sound like such nice people, only out to do an honest day’s work.

But they are also lawyers.

Anyone emailed them yet to point out how their waterside business model appears to be full of holes?

2 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Anyone emailed them yet to point out how their waterside business model appears to be full of holes?

In which case they will be fully aware of what a mess the text of their signs is, and just be leaving the signs to get on with their job of putting the wind up potential moorers. I bet few if any ever get the fine, and of those none is ever enforced. 

39 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I am still no sure where their accreditation comes from for mooring enforcement, they may have accreditation via their trade body for motor parking but the association has no accreditation process for mooring and in fact makes no mention, unsurprisingly, of mooring.

It would seem that the only way to establish how legal this setup is on the waterways is via the courts or Parliament. 

They state "We’re promising 100 percent litigation against offenders wherever possible, which is a strong deterrent.."  if that is their version of ethics I. E we are 3 lawyers, your not, we will put up some dubious and long winded signs with dubious authority and no accreditation from any trade body, we have decided we can send you" enforcement" notices and you will comply or else. 

Not my definition of an ethical company. 

To me just as nasty as the old style pre clean clampers but working in an area where non of the hard fought for legal consumer protections, tribunals or other bodies exist. 

Sorry gents IMHO you do not meet my criteria for an ethical company so please don't delude yourself that you are any better than the old style clampers. Just get on with it by being nasty and threatening 100% litigation that way the courts can decide if your authorised to pursue your mooring strategy in the manner that you. Just don't try to salve your own consciousness by saying you are more ethical than other businesses. 

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 2

1 minute ago, reg said:

I am still no sure where their accreditation comes from for me ooring enforcement, they may have accreditation via their trade body for motor parking but the association has no accreditation process for mooring and in fact makes no mention, unsurprisingly, of mooring.

It would seem that the only way to establish how legal this setup is on the waterways is via the courts or Parliament. 

They state "We’re promising 100 percent litigation against offenders wherever possible, which is a strong deterrent.."  if that is their version of ethics I. E we are 3 lawyers, your not, we will put up some dubious and long winded signs with dubious authority and no accreditation from any trade body, we have decided we can send you" enforcement" notices and you will comply or else. 

Not my definition of an ethical company. 

To me just as nasty as the old style present clean clampers but working in an area where non of the hard fought for legal consumer protections, tribunals or other bodies exist. 

Sorry gents IMHO you do not meet my criteria for an ethical company so please don't delude yourself that you are any better than the old style clampers. Just get on with it by being nasty and threatening 100% litigation that way the courts can decide if your authorised to pursue your mooring strategy in the manner that you. Just don't try to salve your own consciousness by saying you are more ethical than other businesses. 

That's a promise that I could just as easily make - typical weasel words "wherever possible" added to make sure that the "100%" is totally meaningless

10 minutes ago, KevMc said:

That's a promise that I could just as easily make - typical weasel words "wherever possible" added to make sure that the "100%" is totally meaningless

Maybe in law it's 0% possible using their current, to me unethical, methods. 

Edited by reg

30 minutes ago, reg said:

I am still no sure where their accreditation comes from for mooring enforcement,

They probably don't have any accreditation, because they don't need any, AFAICS.

Are there any bodies accrediting mooring enforcement organisations anyway? I suspect not.

28 minutes ago, reg said:

I am still no sure where their accreditation comes from for mooring enforcement, they may have accreditation via their trade body for motor parking but the association has no accreditation process for mooring and in fact makes no mention, unsurprisingly, of mooring.

They don't need any accreditation for mooring enforcement. All that has happened is that CRT, EA and Reading Borough Council, as owners of waterway land and moorings, have contracted out their own enforcement powers to DE. They could have chosen to keep things in house, but each has presumably decided that DE offers a lower cost and/or more effective alternative. Such arrangements are legal and no court or Parliamentary confirmation is required. 

DE can spout whatever legalese they like on their signs, but ultimately if they want to enforce a "fine", it is they who will have to initiate court action, and satisfy a court that they have the power to do so.  

It would also appear that their appeals process is not fit for purpose with regards to mooring in that the independent appeals service they refer you to on this page

http://www.district-enforcement.co.uk/appeals.html

Cannot deal with mooring appeals

https://www.theias.org/appeal-flow-chart

So it seems that there us no independent appeals process in operation for mooring. Can they operate under these conditions? 

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

They probably know. They are the built-in 'loop' type.

27 minutes ago, David Mack said:

They don't need any accreditation for mooring enforcement. All that has happened is that CRT, EA and Reading Borough Council, as owners of waterway land and moorings, have contracted out their own enforcement powers to DE. They could have chosen to keep things in house, but each has presumably decided that DE offers a lower cost and/or more effective alternative. Such arrangements are legal and no court or Parliamentary confirmation is required. 

DE can spout whatever legalese they like on their signs, but ultimately if they want to enforce a "fine", it is they who will have to initiate court action, and satisfy a court that they have the power to do so.  

Point 1

.They have accreditation for parking enforcement so why do they not need accreditation for mooring enforcement? If its because mooring is different to motor vehicle parking then I would suggest that the processes and methods they are using for mooring enforcement are not fit for purpose. 

Point 2

Then EA, CRT et Al should of made sure that the DE methods and procedures are fit for purpose before engaging them.

As I stated in my previous post the independent appeals process is not set up to deal with mooring appeals and yet the DE appeals process points you to them. 

IMHO not ethical and not fit for purpose.

Why should Moorers have to operate without equivalence of consumer protection that motorist have got. 

Edited by reg

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Or, more likely, do not want to get involved in the nasty business of enforcing mooring limits against pee-takers.

The problem is that putting up signs is easy. Enforcing them, especially such draconian and legalistically worded ones as at Reading Tesco, is much more difficult. All it does is scare away the 99.5% of good, rule-abiding boaters, and invites the remaining 0.5% of boaters who couldn't give a toss about anyone else or any regulations to colonise the place. It's a loose-loose situation for almost all boaters (who no longer feel comfortable tying up there) and the local area (who lose the custom of good boaters). 

I agree with your last line. Its not good business sense to engage in court actions that you're doomed to lose.

1 hour ago, reg said:

Why should Moorers have to operate without equivalence of consumer protection that motorist have got. 

Many boaters on this forum were quite happy to pay white diesel prices for propulsion fuel even after it had been pointed out that boaters had been uniquely chosen to have this privilege amongst all the various off road leisure users of red diesel.

Why start complaining now we have been gifted another privilege?

George

45 minutes ago, Jim Batty said:

Or, more likely, do not want to get involved in the nasty business of enforcing mooring limits against pee-takers.

The problem is that putting up signs is easy. Enforcing them, especially such draconian and legalistically worded ones as at Reading Tesco, is much more difficult. All it does is scare away the 99.5% of good, rule-abiding boaters, and invites the remaining 0.5% of boaters who couldn't give a toss about anyone else or any regulations to colonise the place. It's a loose-loose situation for almost all boaters (who no longer feel comfortable tying up there) and the local area (who lose the custom of good boaters). 

I agree with your last line. Its not good business sense to engage in court actions that you're doomed to lose.

I wouldn't be surprised if DE get a fee from Reading for 'managing' the moorings, so any income from folks who do pay up is pure profit...

4 hours ago, Jim Batty said:

Anyone know if they obtained planning permission?

7 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Anyone know if they obtained planning permission?

An interesting point. Permanent signs over shops need PP IIRC. But I think it's only permanent signs advertising something that need PP. 

I can't see it has legs. Boating traffic, and thus the opportunity of fines/fees/penalties (of which DE would get a cut) is a small fraction of car traffic which forms the backbone of parking fines, so it can only be a loser for DE. We could extrapolate that DE and/or CRT or EA have done (and shared) the sums and in fact DE are paid an amount for providing the service - but it would need to be quite a lot to justify even a semi-regular patrol of some kind - we're not exactly talking about a bunch of car parks which someone can easily get around. I doubt there's the enthusiasm from CRT/EA to pay such an amount. So I reckon its a 1 year blip - DE overestimated the possible revenue, will do it for a year then give up.

3 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I can't see it has legs. Boating traffic, and thus the opportunity of fines/fees/penalties (of which DE would get a cut) is a small fraction of car traffic which forms the backbone of parking fines, so it can only be a loser for DE. We could extrapolate that DE and/or CRT or EA have done (and shared) the sums and in fact DE are paid an amount for providing the service - but it would need to be quite a lot to justify even a semi-regular patrol of some kind - we're not exactly talking about a bunch of car parks which someone can easily get around. I doubt there's the enthusiasm from CRT/EA to pay such an amount. So I reckon its a 1 year blip - DE overestimated the possible revenue, will do it for a year then give up.

I was thinking along similar but parallel lines. DE are hardly going to get rich collecting £150 every few weeks from boaters too stupid or arrogant to read the signs, especially if some involve protracted court cases. Therefore they must have been paid an agreed sum to put thew signs up. My guess is they are hoping the signs are aggressive enough to prevent them ever having to take any sort of action to actually collect £150 here and there, let alone fight a court case over one.

My bet is they are bluffing and anyone calling them out will win hands down in the unlikely event of it getting as far as a court hearing.