Vectone mobile

Gareth E

Featured Posts

Although they appear to be limited to 3G and there's no tethering they are well priced, there's a plan that gives a load of minutes and texts, and 30G data for a tenner a month on a rolling contract. They use the EE network.

Has anyone tried them?

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No - but if it helps I have found that EE does not have particularly good cover on the bits of the canal network we've been on.

Interesting... we've found EE good, over the last year I don't think we've been in a spot where we didn't get a signal

ee.jpg

ee1.jpg

Edited by Jennifer McM

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No - but if it helps I have found that EE does not have particularly good cover on the bits of the canal network we've been on.

I rarely find I cannot get a goid EE connection using my EE Osprey wifi. I sit the Osprey in the window when required. 

We've got two Osprey (routers?), we stream a lot. On the back of the Ospreys we've stuck 'picture hanging' velcro, and on windows from both sides of the boat and bow (wifi doesn't go through metal very well re Faraday cage). Moving them around the boat, attaching to different windows, does make a difference (direct line from the transmitter). 

Every now and again one of them goes 'to sleep', so it gets 'reset' by sticking a pin in the 'reset' hole.  Was told by EE, the unit is picking up data from different transmitters, because we're on the move', and every now and again the data needs to be purged by resetting. 

So far so good, we can't complain about EE. But we'll continue looking out for 'better' suppliers.

I've used EE for a couple of years, always had a decent signal. I've been using sims off ebay that last 30 days with 10GB data and £10 credit. The price has varied between 7 and 16 quid but now it's over 20 so time for a change.

Vectone do a sim with 30GB data for a tenner a month. They also offer a 'data sim' with 10GB for the same price. I called their customer service, finally got through to India after a 10 minute wait. I asked "does the 30GB offer work in a dongle?" answer was no. I then checked Ebay, there's an offer for the 30GB on a 30 day sim for 12 quid. The ad states that it works in all devices, including dongles. I'm going to give this one a go. I'm confused though,  it seems that Vectone don't allow their phone sims to work in dongles but another firm can offer what seems to be the same sim that does. Anyone know what's going on here, is their a difference between phone and data sims, are the Ebay firm maybe 'doctoring' a phone sim so they work in dongles?

I tried the 12 quid for 30gb sim off ebay. Works fine, on the existing EE settings. Bit of a bargain really, the only downside being that I'll need a new card every 30 days. The only other downside is that it appears impossible to find out how much data is left/ has been used.