South Oxford cruise

old-p

Featured Posts

Another South Oxford Q:

Can I access Tesco in Banbury from either br 162 or 161? There are designated moorings around there but the towpath is on the opposite side to Tesco and the A423 that’s alongside that bit.

AFAIK it’s that or an expensive M&S in the gruesome Castle Quay thingy.....,

Edited by Westyman

6 minutes ago, Westyman said:

Another South Oxford Q:

Can I access Tesco in Banbury from either br 162 or 161? There are designated moorings around there but the towpath is on the opposite side to Tesco and the A423 that’s alongside that bit.

AFAIK it’s that or an expensive M&S in the gruesome Castle Quay thingy.....,

Just before the road bridge there is a footpath from the towpath up to the road, walk back on yourself over the canal and Tesco is over the road from there

Or if your shopping needs are basic, there's the smaller Tesco Express on Banbury High Street. Park boat in town centre, walk through shopping centre to market square, turn right and it would be about 400 yards I'd guess. It's about the same length of walk as the larger stores but has the advantage that you go though the pleasant old part of the town.

Edited by Athy

5 hours ago, Jess-- said:

in banbury moor by the foundry and go up / over the bridge to supermarket.

seems to be one of my shopping stops (never overnighted there though)

Think you're wise there, we're going through Banbury and stopped just before Banbury Lock for services, there were about a dozen teens/adults under Bridge 165, they had bottles, but sadly I think they were on a much worse substance.

For Morrisons we stopped just before Bridge 168 (my OH stayed onboard).

Thanks all. SWMBO decided M&S was what was wanted! 

Now at top of Napton. Just got CRT notification of temporary closure on Wednesday (Monday today) so glad we’re going down tomorrow (Tuesday). This will bugger up returning hire boaters to Napton!!

Edited by Westyman
Additional info

Thanks everyone for your ideas,

in the end we went down and stayed in Oxford just before the Isis lock as recommended then went out onto the Thames down to the kings arms for lunch then back up past dukes cut and spent the night moored next to the meadow just north of Eynsham Lock then back down Dukes cut onto the Oxford then back up the canal through Napton and back to Dunchurch, a round trip of 9 days only interrupted by crew going down with food poisoning for 24hrs, otherwise a good trip enjoyed by all. 

8 hours ago, old-p said:

Thanks everyone for your ideas,

in the end we went down and stayed in Oxford just before the Isis lock as recommended then went out onto the Thames down to the kings arms for lunch then back up past dukes cut and spent the night moored next to the meadow just north of Eynsham Lock then back down Dukes cut onto the Oxford then back up the canal through Napton and back to Dunchurch, a round trip of 9 days only interrupted by crew going down with food poisoning for 24hrs, otherwise a good trip enjoyed by all. 

Good choices made at the Thames end of your trip if I may say so!

Hopefully the food poisoning wasn't related to the Kings Arms next to Sandford lock? We've eaten there twice recently and had excellent meals both times, including superb sticky toffee pudding for dessert.

Incidentally, for the benefit of anyone venturing this way in future, the Kings Arms is a Chef and Brewer pub which means you can exchange Tesco Clubcard vouchers to pay for food. They are currently based on a 4* multiplier but soon, unfortunately, to be reduced to 3* (from 11 June I believe). Even at 3* that is still a worthwhile way of using them. Also, you don't need to plan in advance - if you buy the vouchers on your phone you get them within a few minutes ready for immediate use.