South Oxford cruise

old-p

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Thanks for that. That pic is very useful. I will have a look at a few more google map pics. We haven't got an anchor on board so going on the river was not in the plan. Thanks again.

Ah, I did wonder if that might be the case. Our boat came with an anchor but no rope, chain and shackles for it so I got myself kitted out at Tradline this time last year just so we could do the river - which we loved so much we hope to do it again this July.

just in case you're not aware, you've got a bit of the river Cherwell, about a mile I think, before you get to Thrupp. I'm not sure how the current there compares with the Thames as it was so dry last summer that they both seemed to have minimal flow.

Edited by Lily Rose
Spelling

14 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Ah, I did wonder if that might be the case. Our boat came with an anchor but no rope, chain and shackles for it so I got myself kitted out at Tradline this time last year just so we could do the river - which we loved so much we hope to do it again this July.

just in case you're not aware, you've got a bit of the river Cherwell, about a mile I think, before you get to Thrupp. I'm not sure how the current there compares with the Thames as it was so dry last summer that they both seemed to have minimal flow.

If there is or has been lots or rain the section of Cherwell is a no go area. Consider it similar to say the Trent at Alrewas section ish.

11 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Yes, only just realized that! Wot do the panel think? Can I get to Thrupp without an anchor? Very little rain forecast for next week...in fact quite dry. The plan was to wind at Thrupp or the pipe bridge north of Pigeons lock....so I can take some bird pics in the 'quarry'.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If there is or has been lots or rain the section of Cherwell is a no go area. Consider it similar to say the Trent at Alrewas section ish.

How far south then can I go without an anchor? 

12 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yes, only just realized that! Wot do the panel think? Can I get to Thrupp without an anchor? Very little rain forecast for next week...in fact quite dry. The plan was to wind at Thrupp or the pipe bridge north of Pigeons lock....so I can take some bird pics in the 'quarry'.

I would be bold enough to say that you not need an anchor for the Cherwell section of the canal, the only thing if the river level is high you would have to wait for it to do down.  On the Thames if you just do the loop upstream round Oxford then again no anchor is probably an acceptable risk in my opinion.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I would ask myself a question "when was the last time my engine stopped without me telling it to?"

If the answer is never in he last few years, then I just get on with doing that circular route from Isis to Dukes cut!

Lifes too short to worry about little things, If however you was doing the whole Thames, then that's a different matter!

Nipper

9 minutes ago, nipper said:

would ask myself a question "when was the last time my engine stopped without me telling it to?

When a mattress got stuck round the prop:)

I chatted to Richard (Abingdon lock keeper) about anchors et al before making the decision to come down to the river last year. He reckoned that most narrowboats on the river don't have their anchor at the ready, assuming they've even got one, and that seems to be borne out by my observations. I'm not sure an anchor stowed away would be much help in an emergency. From what I've seen there are plenty of people who risk this part of the river without an anchor at the ready.

My anchor was at the ready at all times, at the bows going upstream and the stern (on the roof but connected up) going downstream. When we were on the river there was so little flow it was like being on a canal, only wider, so I doubt if there would have been too much of a problem for a boat adrift.

You could check what current conditions and the weather forecast are like when you get near to the Cherwell and decide whether or not to risk it.

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

There's probably a lot less risk of that on the Cherwell or the Thames than on an urban canal. Then again, with all the fly-tipping scumbags about these days I suppose you never know.

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Exactly. I would also be asking myself what my insurance company would say when I claimed 60k for my lost boat and they found out I didnt have an anchor when every bit of paperwork states you should have one. Anchors cost peanuts in the greater scheme of boating costs.

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

I would be bold enough to say that you not need an anchor for the Cherwell section of the canal, the only thing if the river level is high you would have to wait for it to do down.  On the Thames if you just do the loop upstream round Oxford then again no anchor is probably an acceptable risk in my opinion.

I tend to agree and I dont have my anchor ready on the Cherwell nor do I wear lifejackets on there or in fact on any canal................but as I cant breath underwater having been knocked out falling off my boat I am being rather stupid!!!

Just now, rusty69 said:

Mrs Bob. shes got a yachtmasters!

Well so have I but she got hers first. She left me for 16 weeks and did one of these intensive fast track courses. Neither of us had sailed until we were 52 so it was a steep learing curve. The duck hasnt got one though.

• Happy 1

Thanks everyone for your ideas and comments, 

looks like we will be going all the way to Oxford and will be getting the day licence to do the loop on the thames.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, old-p said:

Thanks everyone for your ideas and comments, 

looks like we will be going all the way to Oxford and will be getting the day licence to do the loop on the thames.

Thanks

Excellent plan!

I'd also suggest going up to Eynsham and back. You should be able turn here, above or below the lock... https://canalplan.org.uk/place/gut3  (see the satellite image). If you turn below the lock it gives you an extra bit of lock-free river cruising.

Further to my last post... I've just read today's vlog entry from another forum member who has just done the Eynsham to Duke's Cut stretch. That might suggest winding above the lock may be a better bet than below, though it possibly depends on boat length and/or the position of the buoys. My recollection from last year was that it was fine but perhaps it isn't. Hard to tell from the photo here:   http://livingonthecut.co.uk/back-on-the-cut/

Anyone else have recent experience of that spot?

8 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Further to my last post... I've just read today's vlog entry from another forum member who has just done the Eynsham to Duke's Cut stretch. That might suggest winding above the lock may be a better bet than below, though it possibly depends on boat length and/or the position of the buoys. My recollection from last year was that it was fine but perhaps it isn't. Hard to tell from the photo here:   http://livingonthecut.co.uk/back-on-the-cut/

Anyone else have recent experience of that spot?

A couple of years ago the water levels were low on the Thames, and directly may of the locks above Oxford it was very shallow.  You don’t need to turn directly bellow the lock, the river is wide enough to turn before that.

Made it to Oxford, dropped down through Isis Lock, spun around and back up again. 

As has been said very limited moorings in Oxford but I loved the murals under a couple of the bridges. 

Now moored at Kiddlington. 

On 15/05/2018 at 21:26, roland elsdon said:

There were few at thrupp last night. We were one of the few, now there is one less

Cherwell is as flat as flat as can be no fun. No 6mph down it

Lol I remember hacking downstream on the Cherwell bit in the dark in flood conditions at about 8kts one year and only noticing the railway bridge centre support at the last possible minute. Almost scared the GF..!