South Oxford cruise

old-p

Featured Posts

We are thinking of spending 8-10 days going down the South Oxford from Braunston,  how far do you think we should be able to get before turning back, and anywhere good to stop or avoid?

Firstly, a good choice (but then I would say that as we moor in Cropredy).

You should be able to do all of it in that time - there's only about 50 miles of it, and 10 miles a day is a very leisurely pace. There are plenty of places to moor in pastoral surroundings, and your stopping points largely depend on whether you like pubs or not!

Suggested stopping places if you do: bottom of Napton Locks first night (Folly Pub, almost canalside, small shop beside it, bigger shop in village 10 minutes' walk away). Th emooring sare popular but you can usually find a space one or two locks up and walk back to the pub.

Second night: Fenny Compton (Wharf pub, large and rather characterless but food and drink O.K., canalside)

Third night: Cropredy, charming village, Spar-type shop by town bridge, sanny station IMMEDIATELY after bridge, two pubs within easy walking distance of canal.

Next day: Banbury is the only big town en route, so stock up at Tesco or Morrison's, neither of which is canalside. there's a big shopping centre canalside but oddly it has no supermarket. Sanny station just below town lock.

I'm less familiar with the route beyond that (though Thrupp has at least one pub and pleasant, but very popular, moorings) so I'll let someone else take over.

Edited by Athy

32 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'm less familiar with the route beyond that (though Thrupp has at least one pub and pleasant, but very popular, moorings) so I'll let someone else take over.

I'm amazed - being a 'resident' I assumed you knew the whole canal intimately...

The pub 'in' Thrupp looks very pleasant and we were going to have lunch one sunny day - but we were given a menu and the lady walked away not to be seen again. So we walked along the line of boats to t'other pub who were very attentive and served a good lunch - guess who gets our repeat business.

The jewel in the crown is

wait for it

Oxford

walk to the end of the arm and you come to Hythe Bridge street. To your right are two Chinese restaurants and an Asian supermarket as well as a Thai restaurant. Further down   said street is a Korean restaurant. Good value for all four.

Turn left and you're pretty well in the town City centre. Avoid the touristy bits and you're in the midst of splendid architecture. See parts that were used in the Morse series on TV.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I'm amazed - being a 'resident' I assumed you knew the whole canal intimately...

We rarely go much further South than the winding hole below Banbury lock, though we have good memories of Thrupp, of the Rock of Gibraltar pub, good memories of the moorings at Aynho and less good memories of the rather snooty pub there, the Great Western. Most of our longer trips see us heading Northwards.

31 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

The pub 'in' Thrupp looks very pleasant and we were going to have lunch one sunny day - but we were given a menu and the lady walked away not to be seen again. So we walked along the line of boats to t'other pub who were very attentive and served a good lunch - guess who gets our repeat business.

Oddly enough both pubs are owned by the same landlord.

My favourite moorings are

1. On the summit, on the bit fairly close to Wormleighton mast (and just after the sign that says "HS2 crossing here")

2. In the Cherwell valley south of Aynho (when the M40 has gone off to the east), just below Somerton bridge, or just above Heyford Common Lock, or in the nature reserve (old brickworks) on the left before Pigeon's lock, and a few other places as well with nice walks across the water meadows. 

3. In the weirstream alongside Shipton Weir lock (the posts used to hold a sign saying no overnight mooring)

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

My favourite moorings are

1. On the summit, on the bit fairly close to Wormleighton mast (and just after the sign that says "HS2 crossing here")

I love that section. For the uninitiated, it's about six miles from Napton Top Lock (also called Priors Marston) to Fenny, and I don't think a single road crosses the canal during those twisting, turning miles - almost incredible in Middle England.

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

I love that section. For the uninitiated, it's about six miles from Napton Top Lock (also called Priors Marston) to Fenny, and I don't think a single road crosses the canal during those twisting, turning miles - almost incredible in Middle England.

Just the road up to the very fine farmhouse (New House Farm) on the ridge - a narrow bridge in the middle of a hairpin bend. That is the only road between Napton Top and Fenny.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=443955&y=255415&z=120&sv=443955,255415&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=754&ax=443955&ay=255415&lm=0

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Just the road up to the very fine farmhouse (New House Farm) on the ridge - a narrow bridge in the middle of a hairpin bend. That is the only road between Napton Top and Fenny.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=443955&y=255415&z=120&sv=443955,255415&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=754&ax=443955&ay=255415&lm=0

Ah, thank you; more of a track really.

In 8 days you can do Braunston to Oxford and back no problem.  Very present all the way, except in my opinion, the approach to Oxford.  Depending on your length you will have to drop down Isis lock to turn round.  If you have a bit more time well worth going Dukes Cut on to the Thames even if you just loop round to Oxford.

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, john6767 said:

In 8 days you can do Braunston to Oxford and back no problem.  Very present all the way, except in my opinion, the approach to Oxford.  Depending on your length you will have to drop down Isis lock to turn round.  If you have a bit more time well worth going Dukes Cut on to the Thames even if you just loop round to Oxford.

** It'll cost you ** (unless you do it after 6 p.m. and before 9 a.m - unless it's a bank holiday weekend...) 

22 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

** It'll cost you ** (unless you do it after 6 p.m. and before 9 a.m - unless it's a bank holiday weekend...) 

Yea, but a days licence is not exactly going to break the bank

We are just heading down that way as we speak. Only got as far as the Folly today. Looks like the little shop has been turned into holiday let....unless it's been moved into another building. Their steak and cheddar pie is worth stopping there for. Onwards an upwards tomorrow.

I am part way up the Napton flight tonight, just below lock 14. Oxford was an ambition, plenty of time, and noted the “not exceeding 50’ boats” winding in Nicholson’s which seems to be above Isis lock. Looking at Google satellite view, there seems to be room to wind below Isis lock without going down Sheepwash channel to the Thames (boat is 56’) or what’s to stop you entering the Thames under the railway bridge, winding, and returning to Isis Lock? 

I am aware of one day licences for the Thames purchasable from lock keepers but no lock is involved if wind and return? Or am `I being stupid.....

15 minutes ago, Westyman said:

I am part way up the Napton flight tonight, just below lock 14. Oxford was an ambition, plenty of time, and noted the “not exceeding 50’ boats” winding in Nicholson’s which seems to be above Isis lock. Looking at Google satellite view, there seems to be room to wind below Isis lock without going down Sheepwash channel to the Thames (boat is 56’) or what’s to stop you entering the Thames under the railway bridge, winding, and returning to Isis Lock? 

I am aware of one day licences for the Thames purchasable from lock keepers but no lock is involved if wind and return? Or am `I being stupid.....

Nope you are not being stupid you can and are allowed to drop through isis and spin yer boat. Many peeps go a bit further for a look.  I have even been told that some people have the audacity to do the loop back up to Dukes cut on a sunny  summer evening when the lockies have gone home!!

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:
19 minutes ago, Westyman said:

Nope you are not being stupid you can and are allowed to drop through isis and spin yer boat.

We did just that (but not the other bit, thats just takin the pee)

• Happy 1

47 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

We did just that (but not the other bit, thats just takin the pee)

We're on our way down there now. I was intending to wind at Thrupp but can you wind after Isis in a 63ft and not pay a Thames license. What time do the locks shut? he.he.he.he?

BTW...given you superb directions for Mrsmelly for supermarkets in MK, is it Bridge 168 to get to Morrisons in Banbury?

12 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

We're on our way down there now. I was intending to wind at Thrupp but can you wind after Isis in a 63ft and not pay a Thames license. What time do the locks shut? he.he.he.he?

BTW...given you superb directions for Mrsmelly for supermarkets in MK, is it Bridge 168 to get to Morrisons in Banbury?

Bridge 168 tramway road,yes.

It was a long time back we turned mr rusty (69 foot something). I don't recall a lock keeper, and didn't pay. Suspect @mrsmelly will have more up to date info

Screenshot_20180511-220012.png

Screenshot_20180511-220230.png

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

We did both the Sheepwash Channel and the Dukes Cut, as well as both the river and the canal between the two, when we brought our boat "home" last year. I also know the lock and the turning area below it from having walked along there several times as well as going through on the boat.

If you look at the screenshot below you can see the turning point below the lock. The houses give you some idea of the scale, I would think you would have no problem turning a 63' there. There's even a pontoon you could tie one end to which would make it easier. In the unlikely event of you not having room just go under the railway bridge (very low!) and turn when you reach the river.

If you have the time I would suggest you get a 1 day licence (or do it after hours now that the evenings are long) and do the Oxford ring by going through the last lock on the canal then through to the river and turn right to go through Oxford and past Port Meadow before rejoining the canal via Duke's Cut. If you have time you could go past Duke's Cut and on up to Eynsham. You can turn just about anywhere. It's a really nice stretch of river with Wytham Woods (on a hill) making for a very nice backdrop on the way to Eynsham.

Having come all the way down to Oxford it seems a shame to miss out on this.

Screenshot_2018-05-11-22-58-10.png

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

We did both the Sheepwash Channel and the Dukes Cut, as well as both the river and the canal between the two, when we brought our boat "home" last year. I also know the lock and the turning area below it from having walked along there several times as well as going through on the boat.

If you look at the screenshot below you can see the turning point below the lock. The houses give you some idea of the scale, I would think you would have no problem turning a 63' there. There's even a pontoon you could tie one end to which would make it easier. In the unlikely event of you not having room just go under the railway bridge (very low!) and turn when you reach the river.

If you have the time I would suggest you get a 1 day licence (or do it after hours now that the evenings are long) and do the Oxford ring by going through the last lock on the canal then through to the river and turn right to go through Oxford and past Port Meadow before rejoining the canal via Duke's Cut. If you have time you could go past Duke's Cut and on up to Eynsham. You can turn just about anywhere. It's a really nice stretch of river with Wytham Woods (on a hill) making for a very nice backdrop on the way to Eynsham.

Having come all the way down to Oxford it seems a shame to miss out on this.

Screenshot_2018-05-11-22-58-10.png

Thanks for that. That pic is very useful. I will have a look at a few more google map pics. We haven't got an anchor on board so going on the river was not in the plan. Thanks again.