Thames Kingston

mark99

Featured Posts

Upstream of Kingston Bridge there is an island called Ravens Ait.

On the far side of island (not the normal channel most people use) there is a couple hundred yards of decent mooring (some rings). 

No signs warning of "no mooring"  - anyone know if you can moor there without issue?

To me Kingston is great place to moor but it can be noisy near bridge late at night (people noise).

30 minutes ago, mark99 said:

On the far side of island (not the normal channel most people use) there is a couple hundred yards of decent mooring (some rings). 

No signs warning of "no mooring"  - anyone know if you can moor there without issue?

To me Kingston is great place to moor but it can be noisy near bridge late at night (people noise).

Not sure what you  mean by far side - I always use the Hampton Court (Palace) side when going up and  t'other side  when coming downstream (sorry to be a pedant)

Raven's Ait is private as you know - so it's up to the owner to chase you off (or not). The Palace side is Crown Estate and if you are moored somewhat further up beyond the Commissioners (?) House they will check but allow you overnight mooring. Downstream of that I don't know - as it's more pleasant to moor nearer HCP.

Given that that Kingston is having a lot of bother with the "Trotman slumboats", you may attract attention from all sorts of official folk - apart from EA who seem to be as useful as a chocolate teapot.

It may well be that if you tuck yourself in on the Palace side of the ait, that nobody will notice you and leave you in peace.

FWIW I find the road somewhat noisy there, so moor  a bit further upstream, which is a lot quieter. Beware the ledge that runs alongside the bank about 2ft below the water. Passing boats cause an eddy which can rock you about.

You could try the Thames forum where you might get some further advice. 

Ok great thanks. Yes I mean the Palace side. Or Middx bank. Long walk to Kingston but thats the attraction. ;)

There is a long bank of low concrete (piled) and a wooden protective strip with some old rusty rings. I trust it must be policed as its the sort of place the attracts the "under the radar" boat congregations.

15 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Ok great thanks. Yes I mean the Palace side. Or Middx bank. Long walk to Kingston but thats the attraction. ;)

There is a long bank of low concrete (piled) and a wooden protective strip with some old rusty rings. I trust it must be policed as its the sort of place the attracts the "under the radar" boat congregations.

We used to moor on the Wey - so Kingston was a pleasant trip for us. In all those years I've never seen anyone moored along that strip and when we've stuck the nose in, found it shallow - so proceed upstream beyond Raven's ait  and Boyle Farm island where it's quieter. Looking at Chris Cove-Smith's book he shows what might have been a ferry just about where you mention, hence the steps and rings. Long since gone.

If you fancy long walks then further upstream satisfies that urge and the chance of pleasanter moorings.

Thanks.  Yes there is an old ferry spot there but a long way (circa 100 yards) from where I am thinking of mooring.

Going upstream (so right hand bank) there is plenty of depth at the edge as the island starts but the further you go the more shallow it gets, and of course you then see the old ferry landing which states no mooring or fishing. 

I registered on ybw Thames forum to try to get more info. Awaiting admin approval.

Edited by mark99

I feel for all those people who bought those flats along the river.  All those pubs, restaurants and nightclub must be an absolute nightmare for noise at night.

Possibly a case of not doing proper research when purchasing.

I know they weren’t cheap. ?

If you are heading downstream from Ravens on the right hand side you have a long promenade with rings - There are no mooring signs on the concrete although well worn - you will be shooed off by a council man at some point. Of course, a overnight stay is not going to attract attention and they have bigger fish to deal with...

The palace side you will get shooed off by one of the palace patrols if they spot you, upstream or downstream of the Ait - They want you to be either at the Palace mooring or those at Barge walk - The only way is to hide in the trees which make you hard to spot from the road they use. Some have been using that trick for a while...

Edited by Paringa

Thanks. Makes sense. Today two police turned up and lurked around the visitor moorings on grass by Kingston Bridge. We left a short while later so not be go over the 24 hour freebie (we had registered our arrival time online). Moved up river and got perhaps the best mooring spot outside Hampton Court Palace.... not without spotting, en route, park police type guys on bikes patrolling. Seems therefore well managed at this time.

Perhaps ok (on Middx bank) if you turned up well late and left v early, behaved and left no litter etc hence not spotted. Plenty of places like that between Kingston Bridge going upstream to Palace for a one off if visitors are all full. However there were some shallowish areas with big rocks which will be even shallower if river drops.

Merely interested in case needed one day (more accurately one night).

Edited by mark99

13 hours ago, mark99 said:

Yes you can moor there but be careful.  It is a bit shallow but there is a downside.  Because the channel between the Ait and where you moor is quite narrow when the trip boats pass at speed they take all the water with them which sweeps you up and down that bank quite alarmingly.  Probably somewhere you wont want to moor at again!

Ah, just re-read that.  My comment is on the right going upstream of the Ait.  There are a couple of spots to moor there.  So on the left of the Ait there does seem to be some spaces so have a look and give it a go..

Edited by Sue
Mis-read OP
  • Happy 1

I think I saw one of the HMO boats being towed upstream of Kingston Bridge via a tug on Tues or yesterday ... I think it was being moved by the owner/manager and not to a boat graveyard.

Edited by mark99

When mooring anywhere on the Molesey-Teddington Reach it is worth considering the water levels. This is the level directly above the tideway. When a big tide is expected the weir at Teddington is closed off and the water is held above. This can cause a small rise in the 5 mile level. Then when the tide has turned they open up the weir and dump water out. The change in level might be only a foot or less but if you are still in canal mode and have tied up tight you might find yourself hanging or snagged. 

Edited by WJM
  • Happy 1

On 09/05/2018 at 10:48, mark99 said:

Seriously take care.... we nearly came to grief there, just a couple of weeks ago. 

We entered Ravens Ait 'channel' to moor, the mooring area had a bank that was quite high, and difficult (for us old'uns) to clamber up, so we slowly moved along a few yards where the 'bank' is less deep. Unfortunately we glided onto a 'shelf', as my husband was reversing back to get off the shelf, one of those huge paddle steamer boats passed, and sucked the water from underneath the boat. Our boat listed quite badly, alarmingly so. Kitchen cupboards flew open, and glasses got smashed! (To date we've just got one glass until we can get replacements!)

Just saying ☹️

• Greenie 2