Recommend a Lifejacket

mark99

Featured Posts

You need a self inflating with crotch strap option, but you need to try them on really. For light solo cruising, I used to prefer the XM Quickfit automatic over all my others, , and most economical!

I don't think you need a harness type for your boating.

Edited by LadyG

And the reason these two posters have, quite rightly,  recomended a crotch strap is demonstrated here. You will, probably, notice on your travels that CRT staff do not use crotch straps.

Edited by pete.i
  • Happy 1

The PLA changed their policy on crotch straps last year, and now require their staff to wear them.  

I hardly notice now if I am wearing a lifejacket.

The other factor you might want to think about is whether you want to maintain them yourself. The ones that work on water pressure  (hydrostatic) are a bit more fiddly to maintain than those that just fire when they get wet. There are some good videos around that explain what to do. I take mine to bits once a year, inflate them (using a pump) and leave them for 24 hours. 

We've just bought a couple of Crew Safe jackets two weeks ago - I'm afraid we cut the crotch strap off, leaving a 'tab' of couple of inches (the end burnt to stop fraying) because I thought the strap was a hazard climbing over locks. 

If necessary, we can machine sew the straps on again.

Right or wrong, I'm not sure?

12 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

We've just bought a couple of Crew Safe jackets two weeks ago - I'm afraid we cut the crotch strap off, leaving a 'tab' of couple of inches (the end burnt to stop fraying) because I thought the strap was a hazard climbing over locks. 

If necessary, we can machine sew the straps on again.

Right or wrong, I'm not sure?

Watch the video above, which I think gives you pretty clear advice ...  It is possible to buy separate crotch straps, I dig out where I got mine if you like ... I take your point, you do need to make sure they fit snugly to reduce the snagging risk.

20 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Watch the video above, which I think gives you pretty clear advice ...  It is possible to buy separate crotch straps, I dig out where I got mine if you like ... I take your point, you do need to make sure they fit snugly to reduce the snagging risk.

Yes, I see what you mean.... now having second thoughts. I've kept the straps that were cut off, so can easily sew them securely back on.

I didn't think the straps were used to stop the jacket sliding over the head, I thought it was there for dragging people out of water.

We have a couple of these:

http://www.yachtingsolutions.co.uk/seago-olympic-plus-180n-navy.ir?cName=safety-life-jackets

Comfy to wear for long periods and lightweight and the sea through window in the side lets you see that the firing mechanism and cylinder are armed and ready to use at a glance.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have a couple of these:

http://www.yachtingsolutions.co.uk/seago-olympic-plus-180n-navy.ir?cName=safety-life-jackets

Comfy to wear for long periods and lightweight and the sea through window in the side lets you see that the firing mechanism and cylinder are armed and ready to use at a glance.

We bought seago life jackets (not the one in your link). After the second season i inflated them to test (with a pump, not by blowing). They both went down overnight. 

On further investigation a recall notice had been put out by seago. 

Moral of the story, test life jackets on a regular basis, and for me, do not buy Seago, although they did exchange the jackets foc to be fair.