Blocking sections of the site

Featured Posts

Is there a way to block the VP from appearing in my view of the forum? I cant help but look but there is nothing worthwhile in there only fluff and ridiculously naive political posturing, for my own mental health Id like to block it so Im not tempted to go down that rabbit hole. Help?

2 minutes ago, AMModels said:

Is there a way to block the VP from appearing in my view of the forum? I cant help but look but there is nothing worthwhile in there only fluff and ridiculously naive political posturing, for my own mental health Id like to block it so Im not tempted to go down that rabbit hole. Help?

There used to be with the old software I posted how to during the meltdown two years ago. I'm not sure if you can now though.

8 minutes ago, AMModels said:

Is this for the “list new content”  option if so then yes.  Just click the “content types”, topics, settings down arrow, and then the next down arrow, then tick the areas you want to show.

Ah no I use forum view, what Ive done for now is close the whole section down so I'll see how that goes, Ive turned off notifications from that section as well. Will just have to see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice.

25 minutes ago, AMModels said:

Ah no I use forum view, what Ive done for now is close the whole section down so I'll see how that goes, Ive turned off notifications from that section as well. Will just have to see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice.

Just block Parahandy, that should solve most of your problems.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Is this for the “list new content”  option if so then yes.  Just click the “content types”, topics, settings down arrow, and then the next down arrow, then tick the areas you want to show.

Yes, tried this and it works.

A pity that it works by having to include all the sections that you want to see rather than just exclude the one section you don't, the old method was the same though.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Just block Parahandy, that should solve most of your problems.

Until somebody quotes him.

Annoyingly the settings don't seem to save if you look at the list again.

You have to select all the ones you want to see again.

7 minutes ago, MJG said:

Annoyingly the settings don't seem to save if you look at the list again.

You have to select all the ones you want to see again.

It should give you the option to save it

Edited by Robbo

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Nope - however it was done, It is locked and never needs refreshing.

Not on my Samsung tablet using chrome. I saved it, got the spinning wheel whilst it saved, tested it but when i went back later the settings i had saved had gone.

Edited by MJG

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

May I ask how - because I though that I had saved the settings but then found that it hadn't after all.

You need to 'apply changes'.

I found that if I look at it again it brings up all the stuff you have included but in my case if I don't click on apply changes again (even though I haven't actually made any) it seems to lose them.

I give up, its lost them again.

8 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

May I ask how - because I though that I had saved the settings but then found that it hadn't after all.

You cannot block me Tumshie! 

If you strike me off, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, MJG said:

You need to 'apply changes'.

I found that if I look at it again it brings up all the stuff you have included but in my case if I don't click on apply changes again (even though I haven't actually made any) it seems to lose them.

Thank you, I'll give that a go... I don't want to have to use it all the time but.....

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

You cannot block me Tumshie! 

If you strike me off, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Good Grief - if I blocked you I'd have no-one to talk to. :D

Just now, MJG said:

Any chance we could keep this on topic rather than turn it into another Ant and Decesque exchange?

:blush: Sorry. 

Right got it, you have to save as a new stream after applying changes.

Or save changes if you have changed something.

What a bloody faff......

Edited by MJG

20 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Ooooh sorry mr grumpy. I shall go. 

A Mr Grumpy and a Mr smelly. Mr men or what?

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think (its a while since I set it up) but when you build up your 'new posts' page you list which sections of the forum you want to include, then when you save it, it will only 'open' up with the chosen sub-sections.

I think it was @Dr Bob that gave me the instructions.

Thanks Alan for crediting me with that.....er ....credit, but sadly it was not me. I do sympathise with Andy (the OP). I just hate those posts where the OP starts by asking what everyone thinks about xxxxx without commenting either way himself ....and then storming in 10 posts later with his view of the world.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dr Bob said:

A Mr Grumpy and a Mr smelly. Mr men or what?

Thanks Alan for crediting me with that.....er ....credit, but sadly it was not me. I do sympathise with Andy (the OP). I just hate those posts where the OP starts by asking what everyone thinks about xxxxx without commenting either way himself ....and then storming in 10 posts later with his view of the world.

You can bat on with your customary silliness, ive sorted it now.

1 hour ago, AMModels said:

He doesnt disappear nor do his threads sadly by ignoring him, just to be clear I dont wish to impinge on his 'freespeech' I just dont want to read it. 

How's about you start reading the Daily Mail regularly?  That way, either you'll already know what the post is about and can ignore it, you'll actually start believing the stuff and find it less irritating, or your brain will go mushy and you get to join in?  

No? Can't bring yourself?

Me neither.  ;)

• Greenie 1

Well still struggling to get this to 'stick'.

As soon as I pressed the vnc button the settings were all lost again.

Will try again in the morning on my pc rather than phone or tablet.

Well gave it one last go after a search of 'streams' in the technical section and it appears you have save this as a 'custom stream' which you access from your profile - all activity. Or save it as a bookmark, far from an elegant solution. It appears the standard vnc button is 'fixed' to open all forums by default and cannot seemingly be tailored by the user.

Unless someone knows different.

Edited by MJG

Right,

You have to select the default view new content button.

Select the forums you wish to view under the 'content types' drop down menu.

'Apply' the changes.

Save 'new stream' using the default name 'view new content'.

Then select the very small tick next the the stream title, the tick turns green and this will now be your 'default' view new content when you click on it, ommitting any forums you have excluded.

Still a faff though.......

Edited by MJG