Lowest traffic?

k999

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We are hoping to take a UK holiday late July or August.

We appreciate traffic is at its highest at that time of year but we have no choice (this year).

Like the look of the Welsh canals. Where is it likely to be least busy? We are looking to hire for one week.

How busy does it get? how likley are we to meet bad tempered holiday makers struggling to control their hire vessels?

The (south) Wales canals are close to us (so must be our first choice).

If all our party was able to travel easily, the Scottish waterways (wide fibre glass boats) would be our first choice. Have done the Thames previously and would like somewhere different.

We are experianced enough for long narrow boats (providing its not too windy).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kris

You've chosen/ indicated a number of different types of waterways - canals, where the principal mode of transport is by narrowboats; rivers and wide waterways (Thames and Scottish waterways) where wide beam cruisers are the norm. So it's difficult to advise dispassionately.

Your proximity to a cruising area - to my mind should not be the only criterion (I'm assuming "easy to get to").

The Welsh canals = Llangollen is desperately popular and best avoided in the peak season.

That leave the rest of the system and a choice of routes depends on what you want to do when you are not actually moving - pubs / thongs to see and do / places you know you want to visit / places you want to avoid / places that you might find of interest - but you don't know yet...

So come back with some suggestions of places that might interest you and those that you don't. Then the forum can be more helpful.

I'd start with one of the midlands rings - Birmingham, Black Country come to mind.

Thanks Old Goat,

The reason I specifically asked about Wales (and said that Scotland was too far) is;

This will be the first holiday for someone recovering from a long illness. They are fully mobile but currently appreciate quiet surroundings.

The long journey to Scotland (from our Cardiff home) is probably too much.

We have three fully able persons who are qualified boaties.

We want to stay as local as possible but could manage up to 4hours in a car/train.

Thanks Mr Smelly - I had worried that Wales may be too busy.

Athy - do you have experiance of the Mon & Brec  being less than nightmareic during July/August? That was the canal that grabbed our interest.

Sorry if OP was unclear.

Kris

1 hour ago, k999 said:

Thanks Old Goat,

The reason I specifically asked about Wales (and said that Scotland was too far) is;

This will be the first holiday for someone recovering from a long illness. They are fully mobile but currently appreciate quiet surroundings.

We want to stay as local as possible but could manage up to 4hours in a car/train.

Athy - do you have experiance of the Mon & Brec  being less than nightmareic during July/August? That was the canal that grabbed our interest.

Sorry if OP was unclear.

Kris

Thanks - that helps (me to focus).

Most people hiring on the Thames ignore what I call the 'upper - upper Thames' - that is above Oxford, where there are 'proper' locks (!). Relatively quiet as most river boats can't get underneath the Botley Road bridge. You can hire from Eynsham, or with a mix of canal and river cruising from Oxfordshire Narrowboats at Lower Heyford. 2 1/4 hours from Cardiff. 

Thanks Goatie,

Do you feel we will see less traffic on the Thames rather than Wales? Not done Wales before but did go past Hampton court etc in a fibreglass ‘mini gin palace’ some years ago (out of season). It was pleasant but not too many quiet places to overnight. Nice green walks also seemed limited.

That ugly hunk of fibreglass suited us better than a narrow boat as it offered a bit more privacy and steered by engine (vectored).

Of course, a steel narrow boat is far more elegant but for pure convenience, the plastic fantastic suited us. 

I’ve always been a bit ‘London Phobic’ and it seems to be considerably more expensive than alternatives but if it likely to be quieter then it may be the chance to get a broad plastic tub then it could be the answer.

I’ll look at their website.

Kris

Feel free - there are a few on CWDF based on the Ouse- both the Ouse and its tributaries offer some great cruising (I am not a fan of the Ely section of Ouse though-its a bit bland). The further up River you venture the quieter it gets!

33 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

How about Bridge Boatyard or Black Prince based at Ely on the River Great Ouse. Other than Ely itself I very much doubt you will find anywhere much quieter!

Isn't that quite a long car trip from Cardiff 217 miles and 3+ hours...

1 hour ago, k999 said:

Thanks Goatie,

Do you feel we will see less traffic on the Thames rather than Wales? Not done Wales before but did go past Hampton court etc in a fibreglass ‘mini gin palace’ some years ago (out of season). It was pleasant but not too many quiet places to overnight. Nice green walks also seemed limited.

That ugly hunk of fibreglass suited us better than a narrow boat as it offered a bit more privacy and steered by engine (vectored).

Of course, a steel narrow boat is far more elegant but for pure convenience, the plastic fantastic suited us. 

I’ve always been a bit ‘London Phobic’ and it seems to be considerably more expensive than alternatives but if it likely to be quieter then it may be the chance to get a broad plastic tub then it could be the answer.

Kris

The Thames is quite a long river (as the water flows and less as the crow flies)

There are very few (well only two that I can think of) 'cruiser' companies still operating - Kris Cruisers at Datchet and Le Boat  at Penton Hook and Benson. Once you get above Windsor the traffic (such as there is) has sadly diminished, most owners it seems preferring to just keep their boats in their marina and not venture out. Beyond Reading it's even quieter. Plenty of places to moor and lots of footpaths to wander along From Oxford to Lechlade narrow boats and small cruisers have it to themselves. Lots of places to moor and joy the solitude and wildlife. A bit near home as well.

38 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Maybe -but its still alot quicker and closer than going abroad and many seem to happily do that...

?

May be - but that wasn't within the terms of reference from the OP.

3 hours ago, k999 said:

Thanks Goatie,

Kris

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

Isn't that quite a long car trip from Cardiff 217 miles and 3+ hours...

The Thames is quite a long river (as the water flows and less as the crow flies)

There are very few (well only two that I can think of) 'cruiser' companies still operating - Kris Cruisers at Datchet and Le Boat  at Penton Hook and Benson. Once you get above Windsor the traffic (such as there is) has sadly diminished, most owners it seems preferring to just keep their boats in their marina and not venture out. Beyond Reading it's even quieter. Plenty of places to moor and lots of footpaths to wander along From Oxford to Lechlade narrow boats and small cruisers have it to themselves. Lots of places to moor and joy the solitude and wildlife. A bit near home as well.

Yep, even in summer it's surprising how few moving boats there are on the "upper" Thames, and beyond King's Lock it's astonishingly quiet, though I suspect on a dull wet windy day it could be a dreary experience.   But on a warm sunny day it's almost like going back in time.

18 hours ago, k999 said:

Thanks Old Goat,

Sorry if OP was unclear.

Kris

Could you not fly up to Inverness? Doesn't take too long and Caley's yard is not far from the airport by taxi.

The Caledonian is simply stunning and the hire boats were really very nice indeed.

I recommend the Mon and Brec in South Wales. We've had a few holidays on it during July and August time and it's never busy, mostly I think because the canal is isolated from the rest of the network. The scenery is beautiful, there are only 6 locks, there are plenty of pubs, cafe's and nice villages and some interesting historical parts.

There are several hire boat companies to choose from and all of them reputable. There is a length restriction on the canal which means the boats are a maximum of about 55 ft (I think).

We have our own narrowboat but still sometimes take a hireboat holiday on this canal because we love it so much.

18 hours ago, k999 said:

Kris

I can't remember what time of year we hired on there, as it's some 15 years ago. But what you don't get is through traffic from other waterways, as the Mon & Brec is isolated from the rest of the system.

k999,

If you like the look of the Mon & Brec just hire there and find out what it's like. If you have chosen - or are forced to have - dates in summer then you will have to deal with whatever that throws at you. Getting bothered about what everyone else is up to doesn't seem conducive to enjoying your own holiday. Such issues are usually worse in the theory than they are in practice.

JP

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Yep, even in summer it's surprising how few moving boats there are on the "upper" Thames, and beyond King's Lock it's astonishingly quiet, though I suspect on a dull wet windy day it could be a dreary experience.   But on a warm sunny day it's almost like going back in time.

Hi Neil2

That’s good to know. As we were there a few years ago, we’ll keep that one as a second choice. See what happens with the Mon & Brec enquiries.

Thanks for the great info

Kris

5 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

5 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Kris

Edited by k999

Hi Naughty,

Sounds fantastic – its exactly what I would like to do. Due to the health (and associated stresses) of one member of the party, we’ve decided to avoid airports and longer car journeys this year. Next year we want to return to coastal Med but if our situation has not improved enough then the Caledonian could be our choice.

Thanks for the info

Kris

Hi Grassman, Hi Athy,

Thanks for the reassurance. The M&B sounds like the one. If it’s a closed section, the traffic level should be fairly predictable. Will make some calls today.

Thanks again,

Kris

The Great Ouse system is indeed very quiet, at most times of the year, and the hire fleet in Ely looks well run to me (their plastic boats have been repainted recently - see below). Might be a bit busier this year as the IWA National Festival in St Neots over August bank holiday. 

But a long way from Wales, and the Mon and Brec does look  a better bet....dsc_0658.jpg

Thanks Scarlet, good to know moorings should be easily available, on some of our coastal stuff – we had to start early and be moored by 2pm if we wanted an easy location. If we were expecting conditions like that, we would have taken our inflatable dingy and (tiny) outboard.

Thanks Scholar, the Ouse sounds great but the short car journey (under an hour?) to M&B has made our minds up. May well visit the Ouse in the future.

Just got off the phone, have booked a boat on the Mon & Brec. The boat yard was keen to point out the lack of ‘Party Boats’ on this canal. I hadn’t given much thought to that, I’d always assumed there would be some noisy boaters where ever you go.

Time for some online research for good places to stop.

Looking forward to the flight (?) of locks.

Because this forum has many knowledgeable boaters with personal experience of the M&B, once I’ve done a bit of research, I’d like to start a new thread for M&B specific advice/planning.

Thanks everyone, this process would have been much harder (and riskier) without your friendly and informative advice.

Kris

• Greenie 1